i have never revised for the long term

Watch
sumayaaa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
as the title says. I need to start now, i’m in year 12 doing chem, bio and psychology so defo need to revise. Sure I revise a day before the test (used to be a week but that gap is shortening lol) but that was for the short term i guess, i’ve never revised to keep in the content for the long term.

If i did revise, I would make flash cards or note it down using a textbook or youtube video. That works enough but i know it’s not the BEST or the most effective. And it was VERY VERY VERY time consuming, idk if it’s bc of the technique or bc i’m a slow coach. I’d love to do exam questions, but i always want to do the content first before exam questions but since i’d always start revision late, i’d never finish the content you see. And plus, I don’t like doing exam questions and not knowing at least some of the basic content.

anyways, pls comment down your most realistic advice (i procastinate a lot - tryna end this tho) or your own experience (to motivate me lol).

long story short: help me revise for the long term benefits and catch up on revision since september (i’m in year 12)

edit : i don’t do flash cards anymore after i flopped my first sixth form tests lol
also, the most effective way for me (like 60% effective) was making notes off a youtube video (no exam questions, just this - i know it’s bad i didn’t apply my knowledge). With diagrams and colours and all that on A4 plain paper but that would take AGES (i’m talking 4 hours on one 15 min video) BUT i did remember during the exam certain bits (since i spent so much time)
Last edited by sumayaaa; 2 weeks ago

Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just posting here because I need this advice too haha. At least I'll bump this up for you lol.
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
Just posting here because I need this advice too haha. At least I'll bump this up for you lol.
glad i’m not alone, sigh why couldn’t my parents just force me into a routine at a young age or made me pick up a hobby
Jonathanツ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Never revised for the long term either and my Year 13 exams are in 1 week.....

I'm more of a short term guy :P
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jonathanツ)
Never revised for the long term either and my Year 13 exams are in 1 week.....

I'm more of a short term guy :P
well then😭 how is short term doing you? I meannn if it gets you good grades thennnn i wouldn’t mind but at the same time I kinda wanna be able to answer questions in class from things we did ages ago and be thay annoying person that answers everything correctly😭😭
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey! I’m Duckie, nice to meet you👍 I’ll write this because I have quite some time to spare and I’ll be very glad to help you with your studies.

For context: I do maths, biology and chemistry.
So since we both do biology and chemistry; i will be giving you my advice on it.

Right, before even beginning, all my evidence is supported by an effective revision method which follows active recall and spaced out repetition. You said you do flashcards but you don’t find it the most effective? The next advice I’ll give is to do the plain sheet of paper method. What it is, you get a plain blank piece of paper, write the subheading of what you want to recite, then write out all you can from that chapter. You will fail on the first few attempts, but this retrieval Practice will prepare you for the the questions which are 5-6 marks, it allows you to just write down the answers subconsciously. So I’d suggest, do it for both biology and chemistry and keep a track of how you do (with the information you forget, write it down next to what you previously wrote in coloured pen), store it do you can review it at a later date to see your gradual improvements. Do this on top of reviewing your flashcards, even get some questions from a past paper and store it for retrieving because most of the content each year for chemistry is recycled - for the recent spec that is, so in order to know which content is relevant, get the specification for your exam board and go through each point one by one. So to conclude, plain sheet of paper method (along side the spec, flashcards, and past paper questions) in which all can be substituted for one another. Having said that, you must be spacing out the intervals you review the content so if you can, write out the dates when you have done the retrieval practice on the paper.

Hope this helps!
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
Hey! I’m Duckie, nice to meet you👍 I’ll write this because I have quite some time to spare and I’ll be very glad to help you with your studies.

So since we both do biology and chemistry; i will be giving you my advice on it.

Right, before even beginning, all my evidence is supported by an effective revision method which follows active recall and spaced out repetition. You said you do flashcards but you don’t find it the most effective? The next advice I’ll give is to do the plain sheet of paper method. What it is, you get a plain blank piece of paper, write the subheading of what you want to recite, then write out all you can from that chapter. You will fail on the first few attempts, but this retrieval Practice will prepare you for the the questions which are 5-6 marks, it allows you to just write down the answers subconsciously. So I’d suggest, do it for both biology and chemistry and keep a track of how you do (with the information you forget, write it down next to what you previously wrote in coloured pen), store it do you can review it at a later date to see your gradual improvements. Do this on top of reviewing your flashcards, even get some questions from a past paper and store it for retrieving because most of the content each year for chemistry is recycled - for the recent spec that is, so in order to know which content is relevant, get the specification for your exam board and go through each point one by one. So to conclude, plain sheet of paper method (along side the spec, flashcards, and past paper questions) in which all can be substituted for one another. Having said that, you must be spacing out the intervals you review the content so if you can, write out the dates when you have done the retrieval practice on the paper.

Hope this helps!
damn thanks for the long reply, love to see it

Yeah i DID do flashcards in secondary lol and for my first sixth form test but after i FLOPPED i stopped

ohh i see smart! Thank you! I might actually try this out
Jonathanツ
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sumayaaa)
well then😭 how is short term doing you? I meannn if it gets you good grades thennnn i wouldn’t mind but at the same time I kinda wanna be able to answer questions in class from things we did ages ago and be thay annoying person that answers everything correctly😭😭
Oh please understand one thing

It is a terrible tactic

But yet again I'm doing A-Levels I hate so I couldn't care less...
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
Oh please understand one thing

It is a terrible tactic

But yet again I'm doing A-Levels I hate so I couldn't care less...
pls I cant even revise for the subjects i like (which is all of them), imagine me doing something i hate, that must feel like the fattest chore on earth
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
damn thanks for the long reply, love to see it

Yeah i DID do flashcards in secondary lol and for my first sixth form test but after i FLOPPED i stopped

ohh i see smart! Thank you! I might actually try this out

The trick to flashcards is to not be under the false impression that you know the content. I’ve seen a lot of students just write one-word answers (with no context of the logic behind it nor diagrams whatsoever), the trick to to link whatever information is there with logic. How do you get that logic? You have to actually understand what is happening. I use websites such as Wikipedia if i have absolutely no idea what is going on, especially such visual subjects such as biology, you need to actually understand why that goes with that or else you will flop. Get images online, or draw pictures on your flashcards to make that mental connection.
Jonathanツ
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
pls I cant even revise for the subjects i like (which is all of them), imagine me doing something i hate, that must feel like the fattest chore on earth
Same here!

I wanted to do A-Level Computer Science, Physics, and Maths

I got IT, Media studies, Business and Games dev...

Being shoved on the wrong path at 16 is like realising Santa ain't real at 6
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Same here!

Did you say you hate your A-levels? 😭 that's such an amazing combo

Hope this helps!
PRSOM tysm <3
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
The trick to flashcards is to not be under the false impression that you know the content. I’ve seen a lot of students just write one-word answers (with no context of the logic behind it nor diagrams whatsoever), the trick to to link whatever information is there with logic. How do you get that logic? You have to actually understand what is happening. I use websites such as Wikipedia if i have absolutely no idea what is going on, especially such visual subjects such as biology, you need to actually understand why that goes with that or else you will flop. Get images online, or draw pictures on your flashcards to make that mental connection.
im so sorry this is so dumb but could you clear up what you meant by the is to not be under the false impression part? I’m SO tired i cannot even comprehend half the words i am reading rn hence why i’m typing like some hobo
Okay wait i’ve read it like 10 times. So basically don’t think you know the content ?
Ahh i see. Yeah i agree, I learn WAY WAY better when i understand the content. Even in psychology, I enjoy the subject a lot, I understand it a lot and so i still have my knowledge from lessons done ages ago
Jonathanツ
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
Did you say you hate your A-levels? 😭 that's such an amazing combo

PRSOM tysm <3
It's really not an amazing combo xD They're all boring and teach totally pointless skills
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
Same here!

damn. Will it at least let you lead into the career you want to work in/the uni course you’re interested it if you were doing your preferred subjects?
Jonathanツ
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
damn. Will it at least let you lead into the career you want to work in/the uni course you’re interested it if you were doing your preferred subjects?
No, I'm lucky that I even got a place on a foundation year

If it wasn't for 1 off those accepting me I would be totally screwed

Thanks education system
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
im so sorry this is so dumb but could you clear up what you meant by the is to not be under the false impression part? I’m SO tired i cannot even comprehend half the words i am reading rn hence why i’m typing like some hobo
Okay wait i’ve read it like 10 times. So basically don’t think you know the content ?
Ahh i see. Yeah i agree, I learn WAY WAY better when i understand the content. Even in psychology, I enjoy the subject a lot, I understand it a lot and so i still have my knowledge from lessons done ages ago

Yeah so for example, say I had a flashcard

“What is the function of the left ventricle of the human heart”

Instead of saying pumps it around the body, I will then include information in which links to previous cards to build on top of it, and also aid it visually with pictures or diagrams. What this does, it not only makes you feel more competent with the content, it also makes you understand it a lot better.

Don’t just write one word answers that are not even worthy of a question in the exam, flashcards such be done with precision with the sole aim of understanding, not memorising. Some may argue that it’s for memorising but there’s only so far that can take you, the aim is to tackle the lack of knowledge you have from an earlier date so it feels like less of a burden when intense revision kicks in.

It’s good because on holidays, you can just relax while everyone else revises. Which is what I’m doing now, relaxing so it’s worth it in the end
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
No, I'm lucky that I even got a place on a foundation year

If it wasn't for 1 off those accepting me I would be totally screwed

Thanks education system
foundation year for the career you want or any?
Damn man, I wish you the best I hope you’re content with what you do in the future
Jonathanツ
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
F

foundation year for the career you want or any?
Damn man, I wish you the best I hope you’re content with what you do in the future
Foundation year for the degree I want to do

And thanks u 2!
sumayaaa
Rep:
?
Yeah so for example, say I had a flashcard

“What is the function of the left ventricle of the human heart”

Instead of saying pumps it around the body, I will then include information in which links to previous cards to build on top of it, and also aid it visually with pictures or diagrams. What this does, it not only makes you feel more competent with the content, it also makes you understand it a lot better.

Don’t just write one word answers that are not even worthy of a question in the exam, flashcards such be done with precision with the sole aim of understanding, not memorising. Some may argue that it’s for memorising but there’s only so far that can take you, the aim is to tackle the lack of knowledge you have from an earlier date so it feels like less of a burden when intense revision kicks in.

It’s good because on holidays, you can just relax while everyone else revises. Which is what I’m doing now, relaxing so it’s worth it in the end
oh yes, pls i’d never do one worded answers, I’d feel like it’s a waste of revision lool.
I think i’m gonna give the flashcard method a try again, but this time do it on quizlet or soemthing then print it off if i need to draw diagrams just so i don’t waste time. I didn’t even used to write questions on one side of the flashcard, just allll info but I’m pretty sure writing one question on one side is active recall right?

Mannnn must be nice, hopefully i can just RELAX during the summer holidays and do things i actually want to do voluntarily without feeling guilt over school
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (159)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (471)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (360)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (452)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (151)
4.69%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (193)
5.99%
Loneliness (279)
8.66%
Financial worries (114)
3.54%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (129)
4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (147)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (177)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (288)
8.94%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (302)
9.37%

Watched Threads