user41562
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Im trying to decide which is best im stuck between Law with Criminology or Accounting and finance? which is best in terms of prospects, competitiveness, money?

any help much appreciated!
Jonathanツ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't specifically know a lot about each subject but none of them are considered one of the 'worst degrees'

Choosing your path based purely on money though.... I have heard that that is not the best of ideas and since they are all decent degrees I think you should do some research and find out specifically which prospects sound more appealing to you.
user41562
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Jonathanツ)
I don't specifically know a lot about each subject but none of them are considered one of the 'worst degrees'

Choosing your path based purely on money though.... I have heard that that is not the best of ideas and since they are all decent degrees I think you should do some research and find out specifically which prospects sound more appealing to you.
honestly, i know money isnt everything but i would be lying to myself if i said it didnt matter which is why i thought it was worth asking.. i know jobs relating to both degrees can pay well i just wanted to know which would be easier to climb up the ladder u know?
Jonathanツ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by user41562)
honestly, i know money isnt everything but i would be lying to myself if i said it didnt matter which is why i thought it was worth asking.. i know jobs relating to both degrees can pay well i just wanted to know which would be easier to climb up the ladder u know?
I understand

Realistically If I don't have a Lamborghini and a Malibu Beachhouse by the time I'm 40 then I know ill be somewhat disappointed no matter what.
I really don't know enough about either subject to comment on the 'ladder' but it will be hard no matter which you choose. It is usually passion that allows you to climb quicker, hence why money is not at first important (because often passion = money)
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Neither.

Both are equally meh. If all you want is money and those 2 are your only options, then go for the one that you know you'll get the best grade in.
noyou1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In terms of job prospects, money, etc, accounting and finance is better. It will probably bore you to death but it is a "safe" degree. Criminology is probably a much more interesting thing to study but won't necessarily lead to great job prospects. Accounting/Finance is more reliable in that regard.
BitMel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Law is defiantly more competitive. You can look up the salaries online but i THINK law you will also get more money. Personally i would go with accounting because it seems more stable and easier.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They’re quite different subjects. ‘Better’ will usually be the subject that you enjoy the most and will be most motivated about for 3-4yrs.
Swansea University Colleges
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by user41562)
Im trying to decide which is best im stuck between Law with Criminology or Accounting and finance? which is best in terms of prospects, competitiveness, money?

any help much appreciated!
Hey

If it helps, we're hosting a two day virtual event on the 21 and 22 April - Law and Criminology Showcase. This will give you a good opportunity to explore what studying Law or Criminology is like at university, providing numerous live taster sessions. There will also be a criminology careers focussed session, a graduate panel, and an overview of opportunities to gain experience whilst studying through our Law Clinic. This will be a good opportunity to ask your questions about career prospects. Although when stuyding over the course of three years (sometimes longer if you wish to practise law or further your criminology knowledge), it is important to enjoy what you do!

It's free to sign up and you don't necessarily need to be interested in studying at Swansea to come along - although it would be great to show you what we can offer! You can register here: https://www.swansea.ac.uk/law/showcase-registration/

A taster of live sessions include the following - you can dip in and out of the content over the two days and you can also explore pre-recorded content and handy guides.

Developing Mooting and Advocacy at Swansea, including a live ‘moot’
Mooting and Advocacy are legal practice-based skills. Advocacy involves the representation of clients in court and Mooting is the process of using advocacy in fictitious appeal courts, in both internal and external University competitions. Dr Matthew Parry (lecturer in law) and Billy Seagrim (lecturer in law and practising Barrister) will explain what provisions there are at Swansea University, how they are taught and supported and how they benefit our students.

Cybercrime and Its Hidden Victims
This session will draw on notions of victimisation, particularly victims of a cyber-related crime. In the context of lockdown (Covid 19), society has become more reliant on different online platforms. With this increase in the use of technology, so has victimisation increased. However, research has shown that such victimisation is not always reported; thus, the victims remain hidden. In this session, we will consider some of the reasons why these types of crime remain underreported.

When is ‘ethical hacking’ legal and ethical?
In this interactive session, you will be introduced to some key legal and ethical debates around the topic of ethical hacking. You'll find out a bit about this fascinating area of criminal law and how different shades of hackers - known as Black, White and Black 'Hats', may or not cross legal and ethical lines.

Legal Issues in Sport
This session will provide an insight into what sports law can involve. The world of sport is relatively unique and how the law adapts to deal with legal issues can be fascinating and often very controversial. We will explore how the law and sport interact to create a dynamic and exciting area of legal practice. On field altercations, football hooliganism, drug testing of athlete's, negligent career ending tackles and the complex issue of defining gender in sport are among the aspects of sports law which will be discussed. This will hopefully be a lively session where you can voice your ideas and opinions on the involvement of the criminal law in sport, gender discrimination, concussion, and the human rights of athletes.

How do we explain Criminal Behaviour? Biological, Psychological and Sociological theories
Delivered by current PhD students Joe Janes and Jordan Dawson, this session will provide a taster of studying criminology at Swansea.
In this session we will outline some of the key theories we discuss in Criminology, taking an analytical view of Biological, Psychological and Sociological theories. We will ask students to apply these theories to real world examples of crime.

More than happy to answer any specific questions you may have on email too - [email protected]

Take care, and best of luck with your studies,

Jess Hammett
Swansea University
Hillary Rodham Clinton School of Law

Last edited by Swansea University Colleges; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (208)
42.98%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (74)
15.29%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (194)
40.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.65%

Watched Threads