The Student Room Group

Should I do Maths, Biology and Chemistry A-levels?

Hey, I'm currently in year 11 and trying to decide on my A-levels.

I am planning to take the classic combo of chemistry, biology and maths due to the fact that that these are my best subjects (grade 8/9s) and the subjects I enjoy the most (I have no idea what else I would take otherwise). In the other subjects, I range from 6/7/8s usually.

These subjects would make the most sense to me, especially since I'm planning to go into either healthcare and again, they are my best and favourite subjects.

On top of this I'm also planning to possibily to an EPQ because I believe it would help prepare me for the essay style work at university, as well as the idea just appealing to me.

My only issue is, I've seen everywhere that so many people describe how hard this combo is, and it's making me wonder if I should do something else. I'm really not sure what else I would want to do (any ideas appriciated) and I am willing to put in the work and time for these subjects, so I'm just a bit unsure.

What should I do?
Reply 1
well, if you like them so much and you can't think of anything else, maybe you should just go with it. All A level subjects are difficult to an extent (im doing 5 AS levels this year, you can definitely trust me on this) and the main idea is to just study what you expect yourself to enjoy the most because you really are going to have a hard time doing any combination (i don't mean to discourage you, the challenging topics are usually the most fun)
It depends on what you want to do at university basically, gcses are a gateway to a levels, a levels are a gateway to university, etc. For like most science degrees (apart from the ones that require physics or further maths), your combination is perfect. I would definitely do maths and chemistry, biology you can swap out for something else as it isn't often required for many degrees. I only do maths so I can only comment on that: If you get an 8/9 in maths, there is no reason not to it tbh, it is hard in the second year but generally the content is straightforward.

Quick Reply

Latest