talilalila
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, I’ve got an offer for Bristol and Newcastle for medicine 2021 entry - I need help making my decision!!
Please can anyone give me pros and cons for each or advise on where you would go. Thanks!
Future2
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by talilalila)
Hi, I’ve got an offer for Bristol and Newcastle for medicine 2021 entry - I need help making my decision!!
Please can anyone give me pros and cons for each or advise on where you would go. Thanks!
Since you will stay at the city for at least 5 years, you should choose the city you prefer to stay.
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Congrats on the offers. I would say I would go to Bristol because I did. I agree to pick a city you would be happy in though and the distance from home you want. Maybe look into the courses a bit more and go to online offer holder events. Good luck
talilalila
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DGeorge13)
Congrats on the offers. I would say I would go to Bristol because I did. I agree to pick a city you would be happy in though and the distance from home you want. Maybe look into the courses a bit more and go to online offer holder events. Good luck
Thanks. Would you mind giving me a few pros and cons for Bristol from someone who has gone there?
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks. Would you mind giving me a few pros and cons for Bristol from someone who has gone there?
No worries

Pros
Small group teaching for discipline tutorials in first term
An intro module which is basically a levels which is nice and you have lots of free time
Few exams (I say studying for end of year but I mean they have to do some)
Lots to do in the city
The admin staff are really helpful
CBL in second term looking at body systems in health which are looked at again in year 2 looking at diseases
Year 1 and 2 placement is just in Bristol (except for the two week placement in year two but accommodation is provided)
Year 3-5 has the academy system where you learn in different areas more akin to foundation years
Progress tests
The year 1 team have been helpful and listened to our concerns with the pandemic
Prosection at the anatomy school with good e resources
Study sessions led by older years
The med six is normally active
Extensive consulting skills sessions in early years
Placement in year 1 and 2
Hca in year one for a few shifts
Good travel links to other places on the London commuter line and the midlands and south east and west
It’s really pretty
People are really nice

Cons
It can be quite pricey to live there
Some people don’t like the not being in Bristol in later years
The focus on health in year one is really useful but according to older students the cases in later years are more interesting
Art in medicine (you’ll either really enjoy it or hate it) - I don’t know of other unis that make you do a creative piece but it is useful to reflect on things
Last edited by DGeorge13; 2 weeks ago
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DGeorge13)
No worries

Pros
Small group teaching for discipline tutorials in first term
An intro module which is basically a levels which is nice and you have lots of free time
Few exams (I say studying for end of year but I mean they have to do some)
Lots to do in the city
The admin staff are really helpful
CBL in second term looking at body systems in health which are looked at again in year 2 looking at diseases
Year 1 and 2 placement is just in Bristol (except for the two week placement in year two but accommodation is provided)
Year 3-5 has the academy system where you learn in different areas more akin to foundation years
Progress tests
The year 1 team have been helpful and listened to our concerns with the pandemic
Prosection at the anatomy school with good e resources
Study sessions led by older years
The med six is normally active
Extensive consulting skills sessions in early years
Placement in year 1 and 2
Hca in year one for a few shifts
Good travel links to other places on the London commuter line and the midlands and south east and west
It’s really pretty
People are really nice

Cons
It can be quite pricey to live there
Some people don’t like the not being in Bristol in later years
The focus on health in year one is really useful but according to older students the cases in later years are more interesting
Art in medicine (you’ll either really enjoy it or hate it) - I don’t know of other unis that make you do a creative piece but it is useful to reflect on things
Hi!

I was wondering, at Bristol, do you have recorded lectures and/or lecture notes given to you?
Also what is the academy system and how far out do you go for clinical years - is accommodation provided for that?

Edit: I've figured out where the academies are, but do you have any choice as to where you go?

Thank you
Last edited by _Mia101; 1 week ago
DGeorge13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
Hi!

I was wondering, at Bristol, do you have recorded lectures and/or lecture notes given to you?
Also what is the academy system and how far out do you go for clinical years - is accommodation provided for that?

Edit: I've figured out where the academies are, but do you have any choice as to where you go?

Thank you
I don’t think you get much choice unless you have a specific reason like being a parent or having a health condition.
We get recorded lectures but make our own notes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (190)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (552)
14.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (420)
11.16%
Lack of purpose or motivation (518)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (188)
4.99%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (225)
5.98%
Loneliness (316)
8.39%
Financial worries (138)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (146)
3.88%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.46%
Lack of real life entertainment (214)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (336)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (354)
9.4%

Watched Threads