2nd Year Student wishing to drop out

Watch
L.M.S
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm a second-year Psychology student, and I have been considering dropping out for the past 2 months. I haven't been attending any lectures because they are not interesting to me anymore and I've left assignments to the last minute because they're not interesting to me either.

My family has noticed that I've not been motivated to look for my placement, even if I have said otherwise, and have said that if I want to drop out I just need to tell them.

What advice would you be able to give me?
Hancxoxo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think the main thing is questioning what the benefits of dropping out for the last year will be. If your mental health is deteriorating and you genuinely feel like it’s the right option then definitely speak to your family they seem to be very supportive. Also consider what career path your wanting- is it related to that course? Before starting uni I would’ve said ride it out for the last year, however I’m debating transferring to a uni in my home city for second year and I totally understand that feeling, especially in the pandemic.
I think you really need to follow your gut on this one... is the result of you staying going to be getting a third? Do you feel like there’s something else you could be doing in this next year, even if it’s just figuring out new career paths?
I’ve found that confiding in my parents has literally helped me so much and it hasn’t felt like a burden at all, just a logical decision where I can also gain different perspectives.
Good luck with whatever you decide !
KatyyPetch
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L.M.S)
I'm a second-year Psychology student, and I have been considering dropping out for the past 2 months. I haven't been attending any lectures because they are not interesting to me anymore and I've left assignments to the last minute because they're not interesting to me either.

My family has noticed that I've not been motivated to look for my placement, even if I have said otherwise, and have said that if I want to drop out I just need to tell them.

I wouldnt drop out because your closer to getting your degree than your were starting it. Trust me. once you get your degree you can go down a different path if you choose but use your degree to get you further in the playing field. If theres a job you want your more likely to get it because you have a degree, your even more likely to get it because its psychology. There is so much you can do that may not seem to relate to the subject but you've chosen a really good course because it covers everything. Not only that but having a basic 3 year knowledge of psychology will help you throughout life. You don't have to become a doctor or a teacher or a councillor because psychology is so much more than that. you could work for the f*cking government if you wanted to. keep on track with your degree. After you've completed it you've got ages to decide which path you feel you want to go down but its much easier being proud of yourself for pushing through this crap year and coming out with a psychology degree than no degree at all. You need to make yourself interested in it just to get you through 1 more year and lets be honest its not even a full year isnit. it will go fast. What made you choose it in the first place?
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by L.M.S)

Hi there!

As Hancxoxo mentioned, I think the main thing is thinking about what the benefits of you dropping out be and the benefits of staying for the last year and completing your degree. If you consider the pros and cons of each scenario this may help you decide an option of what is better for you. Do you have a specific career path that you want to pursue? This may help your decision, as some career paths may require you to have a degree such as becoming a clinical psychologist. I would definitely suggest being open and speaking to your friends and family and see what they advise. This way you can get support from them because it is a difficult decision to make. It is also a personal decision at the end of the day and you need to do what's best for you!

As a second psychology student myself, I found it really hard to search and find a placement especially due to the circumstances with COVID-19. I found it really demotivating and slightly fell behind on my work load however, with the help of my university and persevering I managed to secure one and get back on top with my work. Have you spoken to your university? They should be able to support and give you advice too, this may be helpful to you. Do you get to choose some modules in third year? if so, you may be able to choose modules that you enjoy more.

Becca
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (140)
4.81%
Uncertainty around my education (428)
14.7%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (326)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (407)
13.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (133)
4.57%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (177)
6.08%
Loneliness (250)
8.59%
Financial worries (108)
3.71%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (119)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (133)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (157)
5.39%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (259)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (275)
9.44%

Watched Threads