Exemption of language proficiency certificate by any chance?

Watch
Chuxiasummer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I am Chinese and have been living and working in the USA for 6 years as a teacher who teaches in a public elementary school. I have applied the postgraduate programme in UK. Right now, I have received the conditional offer from Bristol and still waiting on the offer from Edinburgh. I know I need to pass and get IELTS as a language proficiency certificate. But because of the pandemic, the IELTs examination office has been shut down in the state where I live since March 2020. I have no idea if it's going to open up before summer when the school year starts. Does anyone know if the school would consider waiving the language certificate by any chance if I can prove my English language ability?
I know some universities in the USA can exempt the language proficiency certificate if a person has worked in the US for certain years.
Thank you for your help or advices in advance.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You can look to see if other allowed tests like TOEFL would be considered valid. The best answer is that you need to ask Bristol how you can fulfil the offer if it's not possible/viable for you to take IELTS, but I think there are a few tests that you can take at home to meet the requirement e.g. IELTS Indicator or TOEFL at home http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/langu...nts/profile-a/

UK universities don't generally exempt people just from working in an English speaking country for a few years because it doesn't necessarily require you to be skilled in the language.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (68)
18.53%
Virtual accommodation tour (53)
14.44%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.63%
Video content about the local area (4)
1.09%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3%
Taster lectures or seminars (79)
21.53%
Speak to current students studying my course (84)
22.89%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (16)
4.36%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.54%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.18%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
2.18%

Watched Threads