The Student Room Group

The real oxford university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OxFossil
Presumably, your opinions on the CPS Inspectorate findings are - like the report - based on an extensive study of the evidence, including a detailed review of at least 450 cases, interviews with legal managers, lawyers and associated documents. And your rejection of the Victims' Commissioners report is likewise based on nothing less than hundreds of interviews. Because to dismiss them because they don't support your prejudices would be ridiculous, wouldn't it?

I wouldn't say I'm "dismissing" it altogether. Clearly evidence should be taken seriously. But just because a report says something doesn't mean it is definitely true. Look at the recent debate surrounding the report into racism in the UK, for example. People are having a healthy debate surrounding it, and the report is certainly not considered to be "the 100% objective truth".

People who write reports, articles, research papers etc have their own agendas. 2 people could look at the same evidence and come to entirely different conclusions. Top researchers and scientists can vehemently disagree with each other on a particular issue, despite all of them being intelligent, well-informed, and having read the relevant literature.

In reality, it would have been politically impossible for that report you posted to have come to a different conclusion. There would have been mass outrage from the loud group of "Media/twitter feminists" etc. Research papers/reports/scientific publications are all constrained quite a lot by political considerations in this day and age.

I certainly know lawyers personally in real life who have expressed similar views to mine on this issue in private conversations. But people tend to be sensible, and do not voice what would be perceived to be "unpopular views" loudly in real life.

I'm unsure what the average person would think of this issue. In the link to the news story that OP posted, most of the top rated comments left by readers express views broadly similar to mine. Now I am certainly not suggesting that an opinion being popular on an online news website has any significance. But I do perhaps think that my opinions here are not necessarily as unusual as you may think.

In any case, I certainly wouldn't say I am trying to dismiss the complainant in this case. I think she should go to the police, so that her very serious accusations can be investigated properly. If guilty, the perpetrator can then be correctly brought to justice.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by boulderingislife
This is what Oxford is really like:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9443287/Professor-told-student-Oxford-University-rape-claim-cause-Boat-Race-cancelled.html

I experienced racism and bullying whilst there by both staff and students. If you’re ethnic, think twice before you go. Shithole racist place with dumb backwards mentality on race, and now rape too it seems. Disgraceful.

Wow...I was considering applying there for my masters but not sure now. That's crazy, I couldn't imagine that happening at my uni
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
In reality, it would have been politically impossible for that report you posted to have come to a different conclusion. There would have been mass outrage from the loud group of "Media/twitter feminists" etc. Research papers/reports/scientific publications are all constrained quite a lot by political considerations in this day and age...I do perhaps think that my opinions here are not necessarily as unusual as you may think...

The CPS Inspectorate actually reached conclusions that were not welcomed by several women's rights organisations - for example, it found that the CPS was not deliberately dismissing more difficult cases in order to improve their conviction rates. This would seem to contradict your claim, that "it would have been politically impossible for that report... to come to a different conclusion". Clearly, you didn't pick this up. Could it be that you are so committed to your prejudices that you don't bother reading the actual evidence before broadcasting your opinions?

Obviously, the "likes" of those so renowned for their political wisdom and balance as the readers of the Daily Mail website needs careful consideration. But- call me a woke snowflake - those thumbs-up aren't quite as convincing to me as the reports of statutory inspectorate and an independent commissioner.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
The woman declined to go to the police. I wonder why?

If she wishes to report a serious crime, she should go to the police, not to a university professor and journalists.

So it’s the fault of the person who was raped? Stop victim blaming. She is entitled not to go to the cops if she doesn’t want to. We don’t know the full story. Maybe she had mental health issues which stopped her going. Maybe university hierarchy pressured her to keep quiet and put a gagging on her not to release more details. We don’t know the full facts. All we know is Oxford University makes light of rape, and in my case: mental illness, bullying and racism.
You don't have to wonder, as the woman has explained why she didn't go to the police - it's because she didn't want to go through the re-traumatisation of a police investigation when the chance of a prosecution is so low. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/01/oxford-university-failed-me-over-handling-of-claim-says-woman

Propsecutions and convictions for rape more than halved in the past 3 years, whilst the number of reported rapes has increased. The police are now less likely to refer cases to the CPS than in the past, and the CPS is less likely to take referred cases to court. Of the more than 55,000 rapes reported to the police in 2019-20, only 2,000 were prosecuted. So the woman concerned had only a 4% chance of her report resulting in a prosecution. Not a situation that encourages survivors to report these crimes to the police.

Shocking statistics. Don’t blame her after hearing those stats. CPS need to up their game, and if the evidence is the issue cops need to do a better job gathering it. 4% is abysmal.
Original post by Qxi.xli
which college did you go to and for which subject? Just wondering x

Now if I gave you that information you would probably be able to identify me (if you were smart enough). The list of drop outs due to poor mental health is not exactly long, especially at college level. So I’m afraid I do not want to disclose this. I did report my problems to college and central university and they did not give a damn. All Oxford cares about is their completion rate and their position in the norrington league tables. Mental health is not given a damn about, and from experience, Oxford seems to prefer to push those with mental health issues out the door, rather than supporting them.
All we know is Oxford University makes light of rape

That's a very bold claim based on the evidence.
Now if I gave you that information you would probably be able to identify me (if you were smart enough). The list of drop outs due to poor mental health is not exactly long, especially at college level. So I’m afraid I do not want to disclose this. I did report my problems to college and central university and they did not give a damn. All Oxford cares about is their completion rate and their position in the norrington league tables. Mental health is not given a damn about, and from experience, Oxford seems to prefer to push those with mental health issues out the door, rather than supporting them.

When were you at Oxford, then?

And I assume you went to another uni afterwards?
(edited 3 years ago)
So it’s the fault of the person who was raped? Stop victim blaming. She is entitled not to go to the cops if she doesn’t want to. We don’t know the full story. Maybe she had mental health issues which stopped her going. Maybe university hierarchy pressured her to keep quiet and put a gagging on her not to release more details. We don’t know the full facts. All we know is Oxford University makes light of rape, and in my case: mental illness, bullying and racism.

I do not think I am "victim blaming".

Sure, she doesn't have to go to the police if she doesn't want to. But nobody in this case has been convicted of rape. It is a very serious crime, and I would personally not assume someone is guilty until they have been found guilty by the legal system.
The CPS Inspectorate actually reached conclusions that were not welcomed by several women's rights organisations - for example, it found that the CPS was not deliberately dismissing more difficult cases in order to improve their conviction rates. This would seem to contradict your claim, that "it would have been politically impossible for that report... to come to a different conclusion". Clearly, you didn't pick this up. Could it be that you are so committed to your prejudices that you don't bother reading the actual evidence before broadcasting your opinions?

Well it is obviously going to be practically impossible to please women's rights organisations completely lol. Why on earth would the CPS dismiss cases deliberately just to improve their conviction rates? That would be a scandal if true. The fact women's rights organisations felt that was happening gives an insight into their mindset.
Original post by Qxi.xli
which college did you go to and for which subject? Just wondering x

OP, claims to be in his? 30s. Assuming he attended Oxford age 18, this (racism) happened a long time a go.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by glassalice
OP, claims to be in his? 30s. Assuming he attended Oxford age 18, this (racism) happened a long time a go.

And? What are you trying to say? That racism didn't exist 10 years ago?
And? What are you trying to say? That racism didn't exist 10 years ago?

No, I am trying to say that your unfortunate experience at Oxford University may not mirror the experiences of students today, because 10 years have passed.

Quite frankly, it's irresponsible that you didn't bring up the fact that you attended Oxford University 10 years ago at the beginning of this thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending