My tuition fee isn't being paid what can I do?

Watch
K1902
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am absolutely devastated not going to lie.

I won't go into detail but basically I have had an awful life, suffered from mental health from a young age. I sought help from my school (8 years ago now) looking back I should have been referred to a gp. They have nothing on file for me.

I decided to go to uni via a foundation route (big mistake as it could only get my onto that uni and not any others) I started a course briefly which in retrospect I shouldn't have as I wasn't in a good place with my mental health and my life. I left as I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life and didn't want to use up my funding. The uni told me I had left within the cooling off period, which I did but student finance still counts it as a full year due to brief attendance on the course. I never did any work it was just introductory. I worked out from the university's term dates until the day I withdrew was 10 days not included days off and when I stopped attending whilst getting the paperwork.

Anyways the course I am on now (I had to get and ADL so I could get onto the uni course) I am in love with it and I felt for once in my life that my future was clear and my mental health has improved so much due to finally finding my place and passion, this is a huge kick in the teeth for me. I'm in such a bad place again, I have no family and no future now. Heartbroken. Is there anything I could do? Any advice is really appreciated.
Last edited by K1902; 2 months ago
ShouldChangeName
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm not that familiar with this kind of situation, but this article looks like it may be of some help?: https://www.ucas.com/finance/student...r-student-loan

If not, try contacting student finance independently (also try and get evidence of the university stating you were in the cooling off period, if possible) and explaining the situation.
K1902
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by ShouldChangeName)
I'm not that familiar with this kind of situation, but this article looks like it may be of some help?: https://www.ucas.com/finance/student...r-student-loan

If not, try contacting student finance independently (also try and get evidence of the university stating you were in the cooling off period, if possible) and explaining the situation.
I did contact them, they told me although no tution was paid to the university because I was within the university's cooling off period that SFE still count it as they count the term from September 1st even though my course didn't start until 24th September. It just doesn't make sense that I have lost it when nothing was paid. I am so devastated by this, I hope there is something I can do.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by K1902)
I am absolutely devastated not going to lie.

I won't go into detail but basically I have had an awful life, suffered from mental health from a young age. I sought help from my school (8 years ago now) looking back I should have been referred to a gp. They have nothing on file for me.

I decided to go to uni via a foundation route (big mistake as it could only get my onto that uni and not any others) I started a course briefly which in retrospect I shouldn't have as I wasn't in a good place with my mental health and my life. I left as I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life and didn't want to use up my funding. The uni told me I had left within the cooling off period, which I did but student finance still counts it as a full year due to brief attendance on the course. I never did any work it was just introductory. I worked out from the university's term dates until the day I withdrew was 10 days not included days off and when I stopped attending whilst getting the paperwork.

Anyways the course I am on now (I had to get and ADL so I could get onto the uni course) I am in love with it and I felt for once in my life that my future was clear and my mental health has improved so much due to finally finding my place and passion, this is a huge kick in the teeth for me. I'm in such a bad place again, I have no family and no future now. Heartbroken. Is there anything I could do? Any advice is really appreciated.
I'm confused. If you lost a year of Student Finance, then you should still have enough allowance left for a full degree course (the allowance Student Finance gives students is length of course minus previous years studied + 1 gift year). You've only used up the gift year if you left after 10 days.
K1902
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I'm confused. If you lost a year of Student Finance, then you should still have enough allowance left for a full degree course (the allowance Student Finance gives students is length of course minus previous years studied + 1 gift year). You've only used up the gift year if you left after 10 days.
Sadly I used a year funding as I completed a foundation year and then I went onto my first year which I left within the university's cooling off period and I was told my funding wouldn't be effected because no tution fee would be taken but now I'm ready to continue my studies it turns out regardless off the tution fee being paid they still count it and I lost my funding
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by K1902)
Sadly I used a year funding as I completed a foundation year and then I went onto my first year which I left within the university's cooling off period and I was told my funding wouldn't be effected because no tution fee would be taken but now I'm ready to continue my studies it turns out regardless off the tution fee being paid they still count it and I lost my funding
You haven't lost funding for the whole degree, but you will need to fund the first year of a new course yourself (as you'll have 2 years of Student Finance left). Unfortunately it's always the first year that Student Finance ask you to pay for rather than delaying it until your final year. That's to ensure that they don't fund more unsuccessful years.

Sadly it's the same rule for someone who has previously self-funded a degree and then want to do another one. Student Finance won't fund another attempt twice, as years count regardless of funding status and how long you stayed for.
Last edited by PhoenixFortune; 1 month ago
K1902
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
You haven't lost funding for the whole degree, but you will need to fund the first year of a new course yourself (as you'll have 2 years of Student Finance left). Unfortunately it's always the first year that Student Finance ask you to pay for rather than delaying it until your final year. That's to ensure that they don't fund more unsuccessful years.

Sadly it's the same rule for someone who has previously self-funded a degree and then want to do another one. Student Finance won't fund another attempt twice, as years count regardless of funding status and how long you stayed for.
I am just confused at how I have lost a year of funding when I withdrew during a cooling off period and my tution fee says £0 on my SFE account for the year I withdrew.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by K1902)
I am just confused at how I have lost a year of funding when I withdrew during a cooling off period and my tution fee says £0 on my SFE account for the year I withdrew.
It probably doesn't matter if you received the funding or not, you still lose a year. It's the same with students who don't take out a student loan and pay with their own money.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by K1902)
Why doesn't it count as your 'gift' year?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (52)
28.57%
No (130)
71.43%

Watched Threads