how difficult it is to find a job as a pharmacist right now

Watch this thread
sebastian2k
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am now a 4th year pharmacy student, I found a lot of info on online forums that it is now difficult to get a job as a pharmacist because it's saturated. Does this only apply in U.S or also other countries such as UK, India, or Malaysia?
2mb
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sebastian2k)
I am now a 4th year pharmacy student, I found a lot of info on online forums that it is now difficult to get a job as a pharmacist because it's saturated. Does this only apply in U.S or also other countries such as UK, India, or Malaysia
Are u a local UK student-if so, I'd imagine it wouldnt be too hard to find job in NHS as pharmacist
quasa
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sebastian2k)
I am now a 4th year pharmacy student, I found a lot of info on online forums that it is now difficult to get a job as a pharmacist because it's saturated. Does this only apply in U.S or also other countries such as UK, India, or Malaysia?
Uk is very hard to get a job pre covid but due to covid there are lots of locum vacancies popping up. However this is a double edged aword as these vacanciea have popped up due to people not wanting to work in busy understaffed pharmacies when vaccination centres pay more than owrking in a community or hospital pharmacy (as a non-prescribing pharmacist)
Claremont4ever
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
There is currently a shortage of pharmacists in the UK, which explains why the government has added pharmacists to the list of shortage occupations for immigration purposes. Pharmacy has a 100% employment rate.
quasa
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Claremont4ever)
There is currently a shortage of pharmacists in the UK, which explains why the government has added pharmacists to the list of shortage occupations for immigration purposes. Pharmacy has a 100% employment rate.
you are aware all health professionals added extra people, not just pharmacy, to deal with COVID due to people getting overwhelmed with work and leaving jobs.
In fact, the reason there are so many vacancies for pharmacy in community now is because people are getting burned out from being overworked in substandard conditions for employers who give jack all about employee safety and because pharmacists know they can get more money doing non pharmacy work like working for 111, public health, consulting etc. I know for a fact that as a non-prescribing pharmacist working for 111, you can earn over £1,100 a week working 48 hours a week from the comfort of your own home without having to commute or work with crap staff members, crappy management / working conditions, actually take long breaks during the work day / are encouraged to take a breather after every half hour- 1 hour of work and are able to use computer systems which actually work and doing something which a) lets you exercise your brain and b) something which patients will genuinely appreciate you for (unlike community where they view you as an overglorified shopkeeper and get peeved off if you actually do your due diligence and actually give them advice about medicines / help them manage their condition).
Last edited by quasa; 1 year ago
manchego
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 2mb)
Are u a local UK student-if so, I'd imagine it wouldnt be too hard to find job in NHS as pharmacist
actually, its harder for pharmacists to get work for the NHS than it is working in community pharmacies
manchego
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
hello old friend, did you miss me
also where did you get the 100% employment figure from? Does this include those who have regular steady work, or those who are employed or are registered as self-employed but who dont work regularly / furloughed / taken annual leave (im still on the GPHC register till 2022 but havent worked in a dispensary based environment for 13 months. It is also physically impossible for pharmacy to have a 100% employment rate
quasa
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by manchego)
hello old friend, did you miss me
:rofl: was wondering where you had disappeared. thought you had been banned for some reason
manchego
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by quasa)
:rofl: was wondering where you had disappeared. thought you had been banned for some reason
reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated mr chan.
quasa
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by manchego)
reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated mr chan.
I see your a fellow person of culture as well (do you watch jackie chan adventures still or just growing up)
manchego
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by quasa)
I see your a fellow person of culture as well (do you watch jackie chan adventures still or just growing up)
growing up. dont get why people like those sort of cartoons as adults tbh (mature stuff fair enough but kiddie stuff with no gravitas is just sad imo)
Sarah H.
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
There is no shortage of pharmacists in the Community Pharmacy sector.

There is however a shortage of pharmacists willing to work for the pay and conditions offered by certain large pharmacy multiples in certain areas of the country.

The pharmacy press (Chemist & Druggist etc) has very recently reported allegations that one of the largest multiples was routinely closing branches (claiming locum shortage) rather than pay more than a specific hourly rate to available locums. It was suggested that they would not pay in excess of £19/hr in these areas. This is an hourly rate that was common 10+ years ago.

By engineering a “shortage” it would allow them to employ pharmacists from abroad at even lower pay rates. It has happened before.

That said, employment for pharmacy graduates is not bad in BUT grads may have to relocate to less desirable areas of the country and accept pay and conditions well below what they were expecting. Please undertake your own thorough research.
quasa
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sarah H.)

There is however a shortage of pharmacists willing to work for the pay and conditions offered by certain large pharmacy multiples in certain areas of the country.

The pharmacy press (Chemist & Druggist etc) has very recently reported allegations that one of the largest multiples was routinely closing branches (claiming locum shortage) rather than pay more than a specific hourly rate to available locums. It was suggested that they would not pay in excess of £19/hr in these areas. This is an hourly rate that was common 10+ years ago.

By engineering a “shortage” it would allow them to employ pharmacists from abroad at even lower pay rates. It has happened before.

That said, employment for pharmacy graduates is not bad in BUT grads may have to relocate to less desirable areas of the country and accept pay and conditions well below what they were expecting. Please undertake your own thorough research.
i dont sub to C&D but am I right in thinking its Lloyds (I remember when I was at uni, they capped it at £19/hour and have heard about them considering dropping it to £17)
Sarah H.
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by quasa)
i dont sub to C&D but am I right in thinking its Lloyds (I remember when I was at uni, they capped it at £19/hour and have heard about them considering dropping it to £17)
Hi Quasa,

You are correct it is Lloyds. By the way C&D is free to view after simple registration. Highly recommended to pharmacy students.
quasa
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi Quasa,

You are correct it is Lloyds. By the way C&D is free to view after simple registration. Highly recommended to pharmacy students.
and pharmacists
ChillBear
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The 'shortage' of pharmacists is a load of rubbish. What they mean to say is there is a shortage of pharmacists willing to work for abysmal wages. Pharmacists are earning more working at vaccination hubs and a large number have moved over to general practice because community wages are generally trash. Now that community wages have recently risen all of a sudden there's a 'shortage'. Import foreign pharmacists willing to work for sub-£20/hr wages. Give it another 10/20 years and the minimum wage will be the same as a pharmacist's wage.
Claremont4ever
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
None of the 'foreign' pharmacist managers I work with earn below £25/hour, some earn upto £27/hour. I wonder where and which part of the country these sub £20 figures come from?

Kindly keep your xenophobic comments to yourself please.
Last edited by Claremont4ever; 1 year ago
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
None of the 'foreign' pharmacist managers I work with earn below £25/hour, some earn upto £27/hour. I wonder where and which part of the country these sub £20 figures come from?

Kindly keep your xenophobic comments to yourself please.
The main urban areas like London, the Midlands, Greater Manchester, areas with pharmacy schools where grads tend to stay on. Please keep in mind you work in the NE of the UK which along with places like rural Wales and the SW of England, East Anglia, have always had recruitment problems as they aren't seen as desirable places to live by young 20something pharmacy graduates.

The poster is not being xenophobic, the statements made about trying to drive down wages via creating an artificial shortage is completely true. It is not meant as an insult to anyone like yourself who is an OSPAP qualified pharmacist from overseas. As you yourself keep telling us, you make fantastic wages. Are these much better than you would make as a pharmacist in your country of origin? And as they are, can you see how UK pharmacists get upset that companies like Lloyds will engineer a shortage to attract pharmacists from overseas to pay them £17/hr and they will be happy with this as it is double what they make in their home country.

Please do not try to turn this into a racist/xenophobic debate because it isn't. It is about the globalisation of the pharmacy grad market affecting UK pharmacists, who like any profession are trying simply to protect their salary level.

How would you feel if the big chains colluded and did a big recruitment push for the NE of England? This could push your £35/25/hr rate down to £25/20/hr.
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

THIS!
(my emphasis in bold)

Lloyds tried this 20 yrs ago in the Bristol/Gloucester/SW areas and it was a disaster. Bringing in many European pharmacists from Spain and Greece, with poor english, before the RPSGB stepped in later with appropriate language levels needed to practice.
This was because EU law permitted them, as pharmacists, to work here, but the onus of language capability was left to the applicant.
After several dispensing errors and other mishaps and poor practice the RPSGB had to step in.
Superdrug tried it with Ozzie/NZ pharmacists in the late 90s. This also failed as many wanted big city life, and were sent off down to the SW to sleepy country towns that they had left behind in Oz, causing most to leave at the end of their 2 yr contracts.
( I stand corrected if anyone has a better recollection of this era than myself!)
adiooyo
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

There is a shortage of community pharmacists in the same way there is a shortage of turkeys voting for Xmas.
Like the turkey situation you can open the door to foreign turkeys from as far as India New Zealand Australia etc. Still you will find a shortage of turkeys voting for Xmas. They don't want to be slaughtered.
Some goon will make a statement, possibly from a multiple or has some vested interest in selling a degree saying there is not enough pharmacists.
Symptom of the disease. Treat the disease not the symptoms.
Understand?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (143)
40.4%
They're exactly what I expected (87)