Can you challenge your professors about your essay?

Watch
Student_222
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi so i wrote an essay and was a little disappointed in my grade. I thought I'd get an A (1st) but only got a B (2:1). I want further clarification on where i went wrong- i read the feedback and some of it i do not agree with (but then who am i to know better than a professor?). Half of it was about grammar- but reading back and checking and thinking about it etc... i still think my grammar and word choice was correct...

Are you allowed to challenge them about it - not in a rude way just want to politely ask them to clarify?

I worry about annoying them and they will lower my grade even further... I wrote out an email however it is incredibly long and im pretty much expecting a full on re analysis of my essay as in my email i go through every single comment that was made (there was about 10)- is that too over the top? How do i go about approaching this? I genuinely want to know so i can improve for next year. I dont expect them to change my grade now.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Student_222)
Hi so i wrote an essay and was a little disappointed in my grade. I thought I'd get an A (1st) but only got a B (2:1). I want further clarification on where i went wrong- i read the feedback and some of it i do not agree with (but then who am i to know better than a professor?). Half of it was about grammar- but reading back and checking and thinking about it etc... i still think my grammar and word choice was correct...

Are you allowed to challenge them about it - not in a rude way just want to politely ask them to clarify?

I worry about annoying them and they will lower my grade even further... I wrote out an email however it is incredibly long and im pretty much expecting a full on re analysis of my essay as in my email i go through every single comment that was made (there was about 10)- is that too over the top? How do i go about approaching this? I genuinely want to know so i can improve for next year. I dont expect them to change my grade now.
Hey!

I would definitely write an email to the professor. What I would recommend is just asking if they would be so kind to provide further clarification for the mistakes you have made in the essay, so that you can improve in the future. As long as you will stay polite, I do not think anything will go wrong. I wouldn't necessarily challenge your professor as it can be seen as very rude. Also, I am not sure to which university you go to, however, I am sure there is someone at the university to re-evaluate your essay if you want.

Hope this helped
Tereza
Coventry University
International Relations student
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

So you have a decent 2:1 mark and 10 points of feedback, this is really not something you should go to war over. The best thing to do is to sit down and really try to understand what the feedback is telling you to improve on next time, and if you absolutely think its needed, ask for clarification of no more than 3 points, not a total re-analysis of everything. As you say, you do actually agree with some of the feedback so your work is clearly not "perfect". It’s important to know that marking is NOT a negotiation between the student and lecturer. If you could really make that 2:1 versus 1st judgement yourself you would need to have marked all the other essays for this assessment and made a comparison between your work and those other students, and then benchmarked that against everything else you have marked for the last decade or more, probably several 100-1000 pieces of work. That’s what the lecturer will have done. In comparison, how many essays have you marked ?
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your grade will not change so don't write your prof a long email disagreeing with every point they made.

The system is that the lecturer would have marked all the assignments and then sent a 10% sample to an internal second marker to moderate the marking and ensure there was consistent marking. Then your mark would have been released. That's not to say that the second marker looked at your essay specifically but they would have seen a 10% sample and agreed/disagreed with the marking standard. If there is disagreement then all the marks for everyone would have moved up/down by XXX per cent.

Thus, you have a snowball in hells chance of having your mark adjusted and will just p*ss off the lecturer.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago

Hello!

I've been in a similar situation before and the first step I took was emailing my tutor who graded it to ask for some more feedback and to go over the things they had said. They can then review what you said and see what steps need to be taken after that as to whether it will affect your mark. This can help you in future assignments as well so is a really useful thing to do

They shouldn't be annoyed as they will want to help you and allow you to improve from the feedback they provided.

Sam- Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (136)
4.87%
Uncertainty around my education (410)
14.7%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (313)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (391)
14.01%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (127)
4.55%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (170)
6.09%
Loneliness (243)
8.71%
Financial worries (100)
3.58%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (113)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (129)
4.62%
Lack of real life entertainment (149)
5.34%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (244)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (265)
9.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed