Iewiew
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I am considering to apply MPhil in Translational Biomedical Research in Cambridge as an international student.
The course instruction states that
“You are not required to secure a thesis supervisor before applying to this course, but are encouraged to contact principal investigators/group leaders that you are interested in working with to explore potential projects.
Information about many relevant research groups may be found through the School of Clinical Medicine's Research portal.“

So would it be a strong advantage if I contact potential supervisors prior to the application, or would it be a disadvantage if I don’t do that?
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Iewiew)
I am considering to apply MPhil in Translational Biomedical Research in Cambridge as an international student.
“You are not required to secure a thesis supervisor before applying to this course, but are encouraged to contact principal investigators/group leaders that you are interested in working with to explore potential projects.
Information about many relevant research groups may be found through the School of Clinical Medicine's Research portal.“

So would it be a strong advantage if I contact potential supervisors prior to the application, or would it be a disadvantage if I don’t do that?
Yes, it’s definitely an advantage to contact potential supervisors and identify interesting research themes you want to work on and they might be able to support before you apply.
Keele Postgraduate
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Iewiew)

Contacting a potential supervisor is really helpful because they can help you tailor and finetune your research proposal, as well ensure that the proposed course of your research is something they feel they have the necessary expertise to support.

As the instructions state, you don't have to do this - the university would allocate you a supervisor if you didn't - however doing so before the start of the course ensures that you've already begun to develop a relationship with a supervisor, and that you can start the course confident in the fact that they can support you and that they are interested in and passionate about your proposed research project.

The conversations you have with potential supervisors will probably also help you to strengthen your proposal, meaning you save a bit of time in the initial stages and can get off to a flying start with your MPhil. It's also good practice if you want to move on to a PhD because you will usually need to contact and discussed your proposed thesis with potential PhD supervisors prior to application.

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (68)
18.94%
Virtual accommodation tour (52)
14.48%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.74%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.84%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.06%
Taster lectures or seminars (77)
21.45%
Speak to current students studying my course (81)
22.56%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (16)
4.46%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.62%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.23%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
1.95%

Watched Threads