Birmingham city uni V Loughborough uni?

Watch
LittleNut
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Trying to decide which uni would be best for me. Looking to study Textiles Design this September but very difficult trying to decide when you can’t get an actual tour round anywhere at the moment. Any info from past students would be helpful. My concerns are safety living and going out in Birmingham? Student Union at Birmingham? How likely are you to get accommodation at Loughborough on campus with your own en-suite? Does the social life at Loughborough get a bit dull after the first year?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
My cousin went to Loughborough for architecture and dropped out in his first year. He was sick of everyone going out and partying every night, even if he didn't go he'd either get pressured into it or stay up late in his room due to his neighbours partying. Also, the teachers were no help basically wanting you to teach yourself, he didn't see the point of paying money towards all of this so he dropped out. He immediately started working for an architectural company and worked his way up a bit before getting headhunted by a larger firm with better pay. Within two years of dropping out he was earning a REALLY good salary doing what he loves. Honestly, yes, the nightlife gets a bit dull after a while and the only reason Loughborough ranks quite well in rankings is due to their sports departments and job opportunities for sports. I can't comment much on Birmingham but I was told not to apply as it's a really rough area.
Loughborough Student Community
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LittleNut)
Trying to decide which uni would be best for me. Looking to study Textiles Design this September but very difficult trying to decide when you can’t get an actual tour round anywhere at the moment. Any info from past students would be helpful. My concerns are safety living and going out in Birmingham? Student Union at Birmingham? How likely are you to get accommodation at Loughborough on campus with your own en-suite? Does the social life at Loughborough get a bit dull after the first year?
Hi LittleNut,

I studied my degree and master's degree at Loughborough so hopefully I can give you an insight into the student experience here

I completely understand it is difficult to get a feel for campus when you are unable to visit. You may find it helpful to check out our campus tour video in the meantime.

Lots of our halls of residence offer en-suite options. Once your academic place has been confirmed, you will be eligible to apply for accommodation. You can reserve a room through the Room Reservation system which opens on a staggered basis. You will be allocated a day and time in which you need to log on to select your accommodation. My advice would be to do your research prior to this slot and know your first choice and your alternative options as the system can get very busy quickly!

At night, our Students Unions turns into not just 1, but 3 different nightclubs (Room 1, Fusion and Cogs), making it the biggest nightclub in the East Midlands! Each one has a different theme so there really is something for everyone. There are also options for nightclubs in town, such as Echo's, Firefly and Revolution along with different pubs and bars.

Also, Leicester and Nottingham are a very short trip away so if you ever fancy a change of scene and want to experience night life in a city! I only went to Nottingham once or twice in my 4 years though because I enjoyed the nightlife that Loughborough had to offer!

Hope that helps. Ella
LittleNut
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks Ella that is really good to hear from someone who has actually experienced life at Loughborough.
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just from the brand name alone, go to Loughborough.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For textiles BCU has much better facilities and studios than Loughborough. Plus the location in Birmingham means more industry opportunities.

Loughborough has some real strengths but textiles isn’t one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (140)
4.8%
Uncertainty around my education (428)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (327)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (408)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (133)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (177)
6.07%
Loneliness (250)
8.58%
Financial worries (108)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (119)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (133)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (157)
5.39%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (259)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (276)
9.47%

Watched Threads