The Student Room Group

Med students drug tested

Do med students in the uk get drug tested?
Are they still able to smoke weed/ do other stuff
Original post by Anonymous
Do med students in the uk get drug tested?
Are they still able to smoke weed/ do other stuff

No, I do not think they are tested (perhaps in cases of suspicions of drug use).

Irrespective of whether you get drug tested or not, I would suggest you to not continue to consume drugs as a medical student or a doctor. It is illegal and well against the law to be taking drugs, and as a doctor, you should act with probity and uphold the laws regardless of whether other students take drugs or not. It also doesn't sit well with the GMC and is seen as a fitness to practice issue, so if anyone 'catches' you taking drugs and reports you to the medical school...let's just say it's going to be messy.

I know you didn't ask for a lecture on this but I feel like you should be reminded nonetheless. And if in the not-so-uncommon chance you are addicted, this could be a grave patient safety concern - especially if as a medical student you are working near patients or are responsible for taking care of them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes any employee of the NHS can be tested for drugs at any time. A med student is no different. Here is the quote from the Drug and Alcohol policy for a hospital in Southampton

"Employers have a duty under the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 to ensure, as far as is
reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare of its staff and others. This includes
taking all reasonable steps to resolve drug (illegal, prescription or recreational), alcohol and
other substance misuse related problems known within the workplace. Staff also have a duty
of care to patients and colleagues and are therefore expected to co-operate with and
implement the Trust policies in this respect. The Trust’s position is one of not allowing the
use, possession or supply of drugs, alcohol or substances by staff whilst on duty or allowing
staff to continue working if they are found or if there is reason to suspect that they are
under the influence of any substance or if they smell of alcohol."

Imagine a brain surgeon performing a delicate operation whilst stoned or having had a pint at lunchtime.

If you are a med student then get serious about your profession and grow up. People's lives are being put at risk because you want to get high.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending