How does changing your name work with A level/GCSE certificates?

Watch
Anonymous_6
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I want to change my name but I'm worried about how it'll complicate things in the future for me since my GCSE certificate has my old name on it and so will my A level certificate. How would I go about changing my name on those certificates, I feel like it'd probably be a very long and complicated process so is there an easier workaround ? Will changing my name affect my uni application process as well?(I've already applied on UCAS using my current name since I haven't got it changed yet) Just in general if anyone has any experience/advice about changing names and how that all works I'd really appreciate it. This is something I really want to do but I'm just a little worried about how it'll all work out.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can't change your name on the certificates.
If you change your name in any way (marriage, adoption, or if you change your name legally via Deed Poll) then you have to produce a document to prove the name change - ie. that you are the same person. More info on Deed Polls : https://www.deedpolls.org.uk/
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous_6)
I want to change my name but I'm worried about how it'll complicate things in the future for me since my GCSE certificate has my old name on it and so will my A level certificate. How would I go about changing my name on those certificates, I feel like it'd probably be a very long and complicated process so is there an easier workaround ? Will changing my name affect my uni application process as well?(I've already applied on UCAS using my current name since I haven't got it changed yet) Just in general if anyone has any experience/advice about changing names and how that all works I'd really appreciate it. This is something I really want to do but I'm just a little worried about how it'll all work out.
I would wait until you are at uni before changing your name or it will complicate things UCAS wise
Anonymous_6
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I would wait until you are at uni before changing your name or it will complicate things UCAS wise
Ah ok , in what way ?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ah ok , in what way ?
I'm no expert on it but it's something about Admissions not being able to match up your qualifications to your name if the two are different.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No it doesn't - you just need you referee to briefly confirm that 'Fred took his GCSE under the name of Fred Brown, but has subsequently changed his name by Deed Poll to Fred Smith-Brown'. The Uni may want to see the Deed Poll along with your GCSE certificate at enrolment, but its not 'complicated' at all.
Last edited by McGinger; 1 week ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by McGinger)
No it doesn't - you just need you referee to briefly confirm that 'Fred took his GCSE under the name of Fred Brown, but has subsequently changed his name by Deed Poll to Fred Smith-Brown'. The Uni may want to see the Deed Poll along with your GCSE certificate at enrolment, but its not 'complicated' at all.
Maybe I should have said it could complicate things. The OP has already applied to uni in one name so the reference has already been done and it sounds like their A levels were also taken in their original name, the results of which will automatically be sent to the uni in that name. And what about if they have to enter Clearing, could be messy with two different names.

To me it just seems like it could cause complications at a time when you really don't want them, and student loans could be another issue. I would rather continue with the same name until safely enrolled and the first student loan installment in my bank account and then apply via deed poll to change my name legally in September. Then it would just be a case of informing your uni, bank and student loan company.
Anonymous_6
Rep:
?
Maybe I should have said it could complicate things. The OP has already applied to uni in one name so the reference has already been done and it sounds like their A levels were also taken in their original name, the results of which will automatically be sent to the uni in that name. And what about if they have to enter Clearing, could be messy with two different names.

To me it just seems like it could cause complications at a time when you really don't want them, and student loans could be another issue. I would rather continue with the same name until safely enrolled and the first student loan installment in my bank account and then apply via deed poll to change my name legally in September. Then it would just be a case of informing your uni, bank and student loan company.
Ah ok thanks for mentioning that. I'm not in a rush to get my name changed but I would like to get it changed before I go to university so I can come in with my new name. Would it be a good idea to change it after results day and getting into my firm/insurance choice (let's pray I won't have to use clearing) ?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Would it be a good idea to change it after results day and getting into my firm/insurance choice (let's pray I won't have to use clearing) ?
That is the timing I would recommend (just my opinion).

Once you have been accepted into a uni you can tell them you want to be known by your new name, even before it is official. We get pupils at school who say that it is always respected.
Anonymous_6
Rep:
?
(ignore this accidentally posted twice whoops)
Last edited by Anonymous_6; 1 week ago
Anonymous_6
Rep:
?
That is the timing I would recommend (just my opinion).

Once you have been accepted into a uni you can tell them you want to be known by your new name, even before it is official. We get pupils at school who say that it is always respected.
Thanks for the advice . I just don't want to have to deal with the awkwardness of having to change my name whilst settling into uni so I feel like it'd be important to sort that out before I go
Last edited by Anonymous_6; 1 week ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks for the advice . I just don't want to have to deal with the awkwardness of having to change my name whilst settling into uni so I feel like it'd be important to sort that out before I go
Ok, good luck with everything
Anonymous_6
Rep:
?
Ok, good luck with everything
Thank you !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (72)
4.71%
Uncertainty around my education (235)
15.37%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (166)
10.86%
Lack of purpose or motivation (217)
14.19%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (67)
4.38%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (89)
5.82%
Loneliness (136)
8.89%
Financial worries (52)
3.4%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (68)
4.45%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
4.77%
Lack of real life entertainment (80)
5.23%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (132)
8.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (142)
9.29%

Watched Threads