Restarting First Year on New Degree Course

Watch
EvieAlicia
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am in first year studying a humanities degree. The course so far has been fine, but I just don't feel like I'm getting much out of it. I have A Levels in Maths, F. Maths and Physics, and I'm beginning to think that I would find Maths more fulfilling (I have the entry requirements).
I really like the uni I'm at, and ideally I want to avoid taking a year out to reapply through UCAS.
Do you think it is possible to restart first year as a Maths student in September by getting in touch with my academic advisor?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by EvieAlicia; 1 week ago
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Humanities and maths are worlds apart. What you covered in year 1 of your humanities degree will not prepare you for year 2 of a maths degree. Thus, you will have to start at year 1 of the maths degree.

Getting into Maths is tough - typically AAA or AAB needed. You can ask to see if you can join year 1 maths in September if you have the grades.
EvieAlicia
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
Humanities and maths are worlds apart. What you covered in year 1 of your humanities degree will not prepare you for year 2 of a maths degree. Thus, you will have to start at year 1 of the maths degree.

Getting into Maths is tough - typically AAA or AAB needed. You can ask to see if you can join year 1 maths in September if you have the grades.
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm happy to start first year again, and I have the required grades for the course.

I'm just wondering whether it will be difficult to transfer to Maths as an internal student currently in the arts department?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
It depends on what uni you are at because it is subjective as to whether they will allow an internal transfer.
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EvieAlicia)
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm happy to start first year again, and I have the required grades for the course.

I'm just wondering whether it will be difficult to transfer to Maths as an internal student currently in the arts department?
Not at all. Assuming you did not do anything reckless in your 1st year on the Humanities course and you have the A level grades it should be straight forward. You need to reach out now to your tutor politely pointing out that you would prefer to study maths (without dissing Humanities) and then the tutor will start the internal process of getting in touch with the admissions tutor for maths.
EvieAlicia
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
Not at all. Assuming you did not do anything reckless in your 1st year on the Humanities course and you have the A level grades it should be straight forward. You need to reach out now to your tutor politely pointing out that you would prefer to study maths (without dissing Humanities) and then the tutor will start the internal process of getting in touch with the admissions tutor for maths.
Thank you for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (132)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (398)
14.85%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (299)
11.15%
Lack of purpose or motivation (377)
14.06%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (121)
4.51%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (163)
6.08%
Loneliness (229)
8.54%
Financial worries (98)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (109)
4.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (122)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (141)
5.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (236)
8.8%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (256)
9.55%

Watched Threads