Student08675
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I am starting my nursing degree this September and will soon have to decide which route I want to take (NHS bursary or student loans) I will be living away from home and am unsure which one will be the best for me.
If there are any current student nurses who have experience with either advice would be highly appreciated!!
I am still undecided which route I want to take as far as if the student loan or bursary is better for me. Do most students choose the bursary? Or is it aimed to support mature students? As I am hoping to live away from home and also finance travelling especially with placements I just am unsure which route will suit me more and will benefit me the best. Did you choose the bursary?
Thank you in advance for any help!!
yasminex
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey! When you say NHS bursary, are you referring to the NHS grant that is at least £5000 a year? If so, as I understand it, that is given to you as well as a student loan. You pay back the student loan, but you do not pay back the NHS bursary.
Student08675
Rep:
?
(Original post by yasminex)
Hey! When you say NHS bursary, are you referring to the NHS grant that is at least £5000 a year? If so, as I understand it, that is given to you as well as a student loan. You pay back the student loan, but you do not pay back the NHS bursary.
I think so, it’s called the NHS Wales Bursary and I know it’s different in England so I’m not actually sure? It covers tuition fees and has a £1000 grant I’m just really confused about it all!! I’m trying to read further into it at the moment - thanks for your help( :
Emily_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Student08675)
Hi, I am starting my nursing degree this September and will soon have to decide which route I want to take (NHS bursary or student loans) I will be living away from home and am unsure which one will be the best for me.
If there are any current student nurses who have experience with either advice would be highly appreciated!!
I am still undecided which route I want to take as far as if the student loan or bursary is better for me. Do most students choose the bursary? Or is it aimed to support mature students? As I am hoping to live away from home and also finance travelling especially with placements I just am unsure which route will suit me more and will benefit me the best. Did you choose the bursary?
Thank you in advance for any help!!
I think so, it’s called the NHS Wales Bursary and I know it’s different in England so I’m not actually sure? It covers tuition fees and has a £1000 grant I’m just really confused about it all!! I’m trying to read further into it at the moment - thanks for your help( :
If you live in England, or are Welsh studying in England, you can't get a bursary to cover you - this has to be done as a student loan, with the 5k bursary on top.
How it works in Wales, I'm a little confused by - however, details from Cardiff uni here https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/unde...se/nhs-bursary (but you're tied to working in Wales for 2 years after qualifying) and same with a touch more detail from Swansea https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergradu...s/nhs-funding/
If you're staying in Wales for uni and are committed to staying in the Welsh side for 2 years after, I'd definitely look into the bursary as you don't have the debt. If you're not sure you want to stay put for the next 5 years... student finance it is.
Student08675
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily_B)
If you live in England, or are Welsh studying in England, you can't get a bursary to cover you - this has to be done as a student loan, with the 5k bursary on top.
How it works in Wales, I'm a little confused by - however, details from Cardiff uni here https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/unde...se/nhs-bursary (but you're tied to working in Wales for 2 years after qualifying) and same with a touch more detail from Swansea https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergradu...s/nhs-funding/
If you're staying in Wales for uni and are committed to staying in the Welsh side for 2 years after, I'd definitely look into the bursary as you don't have the debt. If you're not sure you want to stay put for the next 5 years... student finance it is.
Thank you! I am planning and hoping to study and stay in Wales so this will definitely help! Thank you
millsr
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hiya! I’m (hopefully) starting nursing at Cardiff in September 2021, and have applied for the bursary. The bursary pays tuition fees in full, then has a maintenance grant that is split into three parts:

• the £1,000 per year that every student gets
  • a means tested amount (up to £2,643 per year if you’re living away from home while you study)
  • then there's also the option to apply for a reduced maintenance loan from student finance (£4,675 per year if you’re from Wales and living away from home while you study, £2,534 if you're from England.) This part is not income assessed, but unlike the rest of it, will have to be paid back eventually

The rates vary a little if you’re living at home while studying. There are also some additional bits, like extra money if you have a partner/child, or some extra money for each week of your course that goes beyond 30 weeks a year (£84 per week).

To my knowledge, a lot of students apply for the bursary, not just mature students (I’m not a mature student either), and so I’d say go for it if you’re planning to study and work in Wales anyway. It’s worth looking at the bursary rates for the income assessed bit, to find out exactly how much you’ll get (you can check that here if you know your approximate household income - https://nwssp.nhs.wales/ourservices/...-case-studies/). Personally, I think it comes down to which option (bursary or student finance) will give you more money to live on, and whether or not you’ll have to pay it back, for example:
For a student from Wales whose household income (parents' income in this case) is £35,000 a year, studying a course that lasts 42 weeks per year, and has no children or a partner and plans to stay away from home while studying - they would get £8,153 per year for maintenance, plus their cost of tuition. Broken down, that's:

• tuition paid in full (usually £9,000 per year at Welsh universities)
  • the standard £1,000 maintenance grant
  • £1,470 from the income assessed maintenance grant
  • £1,008 for the extra weeks of the course (£84 x 12 weeks = £1,008)
  • £4,675 loan from student finance
If that student were from England, they would get £6,012 per year (the maintenance loan from student finance is slightly less if you're from England). If they used student finance entirely to fund their course (in other words, didn't get the bursary), they would receive a loan to cover tuition (likely £9,000), plus £8,130 for maintenance, regardless of whether they're from England or Wales.

Obviously, those rates will go up or down depending on household income, but that hopefully gives you a bit of an idea of how it works. You may find that your maintenance loan may be higher if you use student finance, but you'll also have to pay it back, which you don't for the bursary. It's really a case of finding out roughly how much you'll get and seeing which option gives you a realistic amount of money to live on each year, and balancing that with the decision about whether or not you're willing to pay it back eventually. Student finance does have to be paid back but only when you earn a certain amount, and is wiped after 30 years (most students who start a degree this year are unlikely to ever pay the whole thing back). Have a look at the bursary rates on the link that I copied, and also at the student finance calculator (https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator) and see what you're likely to get to help you decide.

Sorry for dumping a lot of info in you, hopefully it makes a bit more sense now! Good luck with your course x
Student08675
Rep:
?
(Original post by millsr)
Hiya! I’m (hopefully) starting nursing at Cardiff in September 2021, and have applied for the bursary. The bursary pays tuition fees in full, then has a maintenance grant that is split into three parts:

• the £1,000 per year that every student gets
  • a means tested amount (up to £2,643 per year if you’re living away from home while you study)
  • then there's also the option to apply for a reduced maintenance loan from student finance (£4,675 per year if you’re from Wales and living away from home while you study, £2,534 if you're from England.) This part is not income assessed, but unlike the rest of it, will have to be paid back eventually

The rates vary a little if you’re living at home while studying. There are also some additional bits, like extra money if you have a partner/child, or some extra money for each week of your course that goes beyond 30 weeks a year (£84 per week).

To my knowledge, a lot of students apply for the bursary, not just mature students (I’m not a mature student either), and so I’d say go for it if you’re planning to study and work in Wales anyway. It’s worth looking at the bursary rates for the income assessed bit, to find out exactly how much you’ll get (you can check that here if you know your approximate household income - https://nwssp.nhs.wales/ourservices/...-case-studies/). Personally, I think it comes down to which option (bursary or student finance) will give you more money to live on, and whether or not you’ll have to pay it back, for example:
For a student from Wales whose household income (parents' income in this case) is £35,000 a year, studying a course that lasts 42 weeks per year, and has no children or a partner and plans to stay away from home while studying - they would get £8,153 per year for maintenance, plus their cost of tuition. Broken down, that's:

• tuition paid in full (usually £9,000 per year at Welsh universities)
  • the standard £1,000 maintenance grant
  • £1,470 from the income assessed maintenance grant
  • £1,008 for the extra weeks of the course (£84 x 12 weeks = £1,008)
  • £4,675 loan from student finance
If that student were from England, they would get £6,012 per year (the maintenance loan from student finance is slightly less if you're from England). If they used student finance entirely to fund their course (in other words, didn't get the bursary), they would receive a loan to cover tuition (likely £9,000), plus £8,130 for maintenance, regardless of whether they're from England or Wales.

Obviously, those rates will go up or down depending on household income, but that hopefully gives you a bit of an idea of how it works. You may find that your maintenance loan may be higher if you use student finance, but you'll also have to pay it back, which you don't for the bursary. It's really a case of finding out roughly how much you'll get and seeing which option gives you a realistic amount of money to live on each year, and balancing that with the decision about whether or not you're willing to pay it back eventually. Student finance does have to be paid back but only when you earn a certain amount, and is wiped after 30 years (most students who start a degree this year are unlikely to ever pay the whole thing back). Have a look at the bursary rates on the link that I copied, and also at the student finance calculator (https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator) and see what you're likely to get to help you decide.

Sorry for dumping a lot of info in you, hopefully it makes a bit more sense now! Good luck with your course x
Thank you so much this has helped me out a lot!! I am definitely leaning towards the bursary but I will spend a bit of time calculating which option will financially benefit me more - with the bursary is it also paid in 3 intervals throughout the year like sf and with rent for halls/ accommodation does it just go straight to them like taxes so I won’t actually ever see the money if that makes any sense? I just want to make sure I will have enough to cover everything because I know that most of the money will go on rent (sorry to bother you with so many questions and they also probably are stupid ones I just don’t really understand it all at the moment as my college are yet to go through it with us) thanks again for explaining it all I appreciate it so much ! (Good luck for Cardiff, I also (hopefully) want to study in Swansea so fingers crossed for both of us! x
millsr
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you so much this has helped me out a lot!! I am definitely leaning towards the bursary but I will spend a bit of time calculating which option will financially benefit me more - with the bursary is it also paid in 3 intervals throughout the year like sf and with rent for halls/ accommodation does it just go straight to them like taxes so I won’t actually ever see the money if that makes any sense? I just want to make sure I will have enough to cover everything because I know that most of the money will go on rent (sorry to bother you with so many questions and they also probably are stupid ones I just don’t really understand it all at the moment as my college are yet to go through it with us) thanks again for explaining it all I appreciate it so much ! (Good luck for Cardiff, I also (hopefully) want to study in Swansea so fingers crossed for both of us! x
This document (https://nwssp.nhs.wales/ourservices/...-information1/) implies that Swansea pay the bursary in equal monthly instalments rather than three intervals, which I think is the same at most of the universities that offer the bursary.

As for the accommodation thing, I can't find anything conclusive on the bursary website or any uni websites but I doubt accommodation fees are directly taken by the university, purely because there are some students who will pay their full accommodation fees for the year using money from their parents, grandparents etc. and will use all of their bursary money for other living costs (food, clothes etc.), so it makes sense to just give all the money to the student themselves and let them pay for accommodation however they wish to. The NWSSP (the NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership, who are in charge of the bursary payments) will pay your bursary amount to your chosen university, who will then pay it to you in the monthly instalments, and I assume it is then the student's responsibility to arrange payment of accommodation fees.

No worries about all the questions - I get how hard it is to find the exact info you're looking for and how confusing the website can be! Especially when everyone seems to know everything about sf but nothing about the bursary, it's hard to get your head around it all. Good luck with your Swansea application, I hope everything works out for you! x
Student08675
Rep:
?
This document (https://nwssp.nhs.wales/ourservices/...-information1/) implies that Swansea pay the bursary in equal monthly instalments rather than three intervals, which I think is the same at most of the universities that offer the bursary.

As for the accommodation thing, I can't find anything conclusive on the bursary website or any uni websites but I doubt accommodation fees are directly taken by the university, purely because there are some students who will pay their full accommodation fees for the year using money from their parents, grandparents etc. and will use all of their bursary money for other living costs (food, clothes etc.), so it makes sense to just give all the money to the student themselves and let them pay for accommodation however they wish to. The NWSSP (the NHS Wales Shared Services Partnership, who are in charge of the bursary payments) will pay your bursary amount to your chosen university, who will then pay it to you in the monthly instalments, and I assume it is then the student's responsibility to arrange payment of accommodation fees.

No worries about all the questions - I get how hard it is to find the exact info you're looking for and how confusing the website can be! Especially when everyone seems to know everything about sf but nothing about the bursary, it's hard to get your head around it all. Good luck with your Swansea application, I hope everything works out for you! x
Thank you! I also just wanted to ask about when we are expected to get our DBS/DBC checks and medical because I’ve read that to be offered accommodation they have to be done ?
millsr
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you! I also just wanted to ask about when we are expected to get our DBS/DBC checks and medical because I’ve read that to be offered accommodation they have to be done ?
I think it varies according to your university, but after I confirmed by firm and insurance choices, they both sent me an email saying they’d give me some info about DBS nearer the time. I think the medical also depends on your uni, my insurance said it had to be done within a month of starting the course and couldn’t be done earlier than that, my firm said they’d email later on x
Student08675
Rep:
?
I think it varies according to your university, but after I confirmed by firm and insurance choices, they both sent me an email saying they’d give me some info about DBS nearer the time. I think the medical also depends on your uni, my insurance said it had to be done within a month of starting the course and couldn’t be done earlier than that, my firm said they’d email later on x
Okay, thank you! I still have one more interview to do so I can’t accept anything yet so I guess I’ll just have to wait and see! Thanks again for all your help x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (26)
27.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (9)
9.68%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.45%

Watched Threads