Laptop or a tablet for a potential physics student?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm currently in year 12 and started look at potential universities. When I do go to uni to do a physics degree, I will most likely have to leave the house.

Now here's the issue. I have a pc I built not too long ago (August 2020) and I plan to take it with me when leaving for uni. Over this, I also wish to get a tablet for doing work outside my room and for notetaking during lectures and seminars. My parents on the other hand want to get me a laptop instead and want me to leave the pc at home. Which route should I go down and are there any perks or drawbacks I need to know for any of them?
the_pharaoh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm currently in year 12 and started look at potential universities. When I do go to uni to do a physics degree, I will most likely have to leave the house.

Now here's the issue. I have a pc I built not too long ago (August 2020) and I plan to take it with me when leaving for uni. Over this, I also wish to get a tablet for doing work outside my room and for notetaking during lectures and seminars. My parents on the other hand want to get me a laptop instead and want me to leave the pc at home. Which route should I go down and are there any perks or drawbacks I need to know for any of them?
Laptops are normally the best options for students
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you take your desktop its good for gaming in your spare time and will probably have better processing power given that you built it yourself. However, there is the additional risk of damaging the desktop or having it stolen. I would go with a laptop for uni and leave your desktop at home. A tablet can be frustrating to work off during lectures. Most students have laptops.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I took my desktop to Uni so that I could game in my free time when I wasn't doing my Physics degree. Considering I played for hours and hours over the summer on it during lockdown my mum didn't want me to take it to Uni, but I rarely play on it anymore due to having other things to do and new friends to hang out with. I still play games occasionally, maybe once a week for a few hours, but not anywhere near the amounts I used to play daily. Definitely get a laptop as tablets can be a pain and if you are doing physics you will need to do coding which you probably wont be able to do on a tablet. I would advise one of two options for the PC:
Either take it for the first term, and if you get distracted too much by it then take it home and don't bring it back, or for the first term don't take it and see if you can live without it, something I was very hesitant to do but very achievable when you have work to do and people to hang out with constantly.
For notetaking there is nothing wrong with good old pen and paper, and this doesn't carry the risk of needing to charge a tablet before lectures or losing all your notes because your tablet broke
Jonathanツ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm guessing your desktop is a gaming PC so..

Bring the desktop and also get a laptop
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Jonathanツ)
I'm guessing your desktop is a gaming PC so..

Bring the desktop and also get a laptop
Though I use it for gaming, it's pretty good for other tasks as well: R7 3800x and gtx 1660 build.

Don't know if that would help with the judgement
Jonathanツ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Though I use it for gaming, it's pretty good for other tasks as well: R7 3800x and gtx 1660 build.

Don't know if that would help with the judgement
Having a laptop is good because you are able to work in places other than your room eg you want to go to the library, work on a bench outside, or something like that.
Anonymous #1
I took my desktop to Uni so that I seeI could game in my free time when I wasn't doing my Physics degree. Considering I played for hours and hours over the summer on it during lockdown my mum didn't want me to take it to Uni, but I rarely play on it anymore due to having other things to do and new friends to hang out with. I still play games occasionally, maybe once a week for a few hours, but not anywhere near the amounts I used to play daily. Definitely get a laptop as tablets can be a pain and if you are doing physics you will need to do coding which you probably wont be able to do on a tablet. I would advise one of two options for the PC:
Either take it for the first term, and if you get distracted too much by it then take it home and don't bring it back, or for the first term don't take it and see if you can live without it, something I was very hesitant to do but very achievable when you have work to do and people to hang out with constantly.
For notetaking there is nothing wrong with good old pen and paper, and this doesn't carry the risk of needing to charge a tablet before lectures or losing all your notes because your tablet broke
I see. I actually didn't take coding into account as I was mainly considering it for note taking and assumed something like a type cover would help with the "typing intensive" work. In hindsight, that might not be the most comfortable experience
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
Why do your parents want you to get a laptop and leave the desktop? Are they concerned it'll be a distraction or are they just trying to get a free pc to use while you're away? Do you have any siblings in the house that game?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (140)
4.8%
Uncertainty around my education (428)
14.68%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (327)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (408)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (133)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (177)
6.07%
Loneliness (250)
8.58%
Financial worries (108)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (119)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (133)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (157)
5.39%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (259)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (276)
9.47%

Watched Threads