Is this revision for science effective

Watch
I-cba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I make notes from free science lesson then use the physics and maths tutor flashcards then do questions. I dunno why I feel like the notes I make are passive as I forget them and don’t look at them. It also kinda stress me out out as I feel my technique is crap and it can be improved to save me time and get the grade I want. Did anyone else do this? Can you help me?
Dragon264
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I found that Flashcards didn’t help me that much so I came up with my own method. For subjects like science I write down bullet points with smaller topics on e.g. ecosystem levels, flame tests or energy stores. I then read the bullet point and try to explain it to someone else, usually my parents. Sometimes I can say quite a lot of information about one bullet point and it’s great because it means I can ‘regurgitate’ information without much prompting.
alwaysneedadvice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You just gotta try a bunch of things and see what sticks with you. I feel like most people brush aside flashcards because they use them quite passively. Revision is supposed to be difficult and most of the time it is going to be boring. In order to revise effectively you need to be actively processing things. For flashcards, use spaced repetition where you do the flashcards you get right less often, and the ones wrong more often. Make sure your flashcards are concise and have just the key words on it so that you actively have to try and string sentences together to answer the question. Use a revision timetable and see if that helps. Do quizzes and exam questions and repeat the ones you get wrong at a later date. I made a post about some revision techniques a while back if you want to read it, it links a bunch of Youtubers and websites along with going through some techniques. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...ht=GCSE%20Tips
ayobamir-s
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by I-cba)
I make notes from free science lesson then use the physics and maths tutor flashcards then do questions. I dunno why I feel like the notes I make are passive as I forget them and don’t look at them. It also kinda stress me out out as I feel my technique is crap and it can be improved to save me time and get the grade I want. Did anyone else do this? Can you help me?
Hi! So I’ve already taken my gcses and I personally don’t think flashcards worked for me but obviously everyone is different. What I found helped me the most was going through the specification then reading my notes and textbook so I knew exactly what I needed to know for the exams. If you find that the reading gets a bit too much then I recommend watching some summary videos on YouTube - “Amoeba Sisters” is really good for biology and “SnapRevise” cover any subject. The flashcards on physics and maths tutor aren’t bad (I use them now sometimes for A Level) but I feel like they’re just a quick way to test yourself after you’ve learnt the content. And also practise past paper questions only after you’re done with learning all the information, then go through the mark scheme. The same type of questions are repeated a lot so you’ll become more familiar with them through practice and therefore perfect your answers.
I really hope this helps! Pls feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (102)
5.18%
Uncertainty around my education (295)
14.98%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (208)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (276)
14.02%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (86)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (112)
5.69%
Loneliness (172)
8.74%
Financial worries (70)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.37%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.67%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (175)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (187)
9.5%

Watched Threads