Student Wolf
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am using Quizlet to make flashcards and at the moment I have a question and then a block of text. Sometimes I have bullet points. I am getting overwhelmed by how many flashcards I have made. How can I use flashcards effectively? How can I use Quizlet effectively? Is there anything you would recommend when making flashcards?

Thank you
Mkm5
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Search spaced repetition
+ try to make the flash cards concise to test one piece of info (obviously it takes longer but it helps to remember everything or you could just do this for the vital info you need to know)
loraa11
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
you can write a question relating to the amswer to it for example --

on one side of the flashcards write -what is photosynthesis ?

at the back of the flashcards - WRITE THE ANSWER?--- Phosynthesis helps plants and organisms to make foods through sunlight , oxygen and carbon dioxide

this way you will get used to the exam questions in your exams and you will be able to retrieve the exact content/PLCS you need to revise for your upcomming exams ...

hope this helps you x x
Dragon264
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Instead of having question/answer Flashcards, I write bullet points and no answers. I read out a bullet point and then explain it in full. One bullet point can keep me talking for a good 5 minutes. This is good because I can regurgitate lots of information with little prompting. All bullet points on the same topic are on the same Flashcards and it involves little writing. This is great for science topics.
Anthony Ogundele
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yh but doesn't question and answer flashcards get you into the exam technique. Questions are what you see in your exam paper which is why i think that question flashcards are the best type of flashcards.

(Original post by Dragon264)
Instead of having question/answer Flashcards, I write bullet points and no answers. I read out a bullet point and then explain it in full. One bullet point can keep me talking for a good 5 minutes. This is good because I can regurgitate lots of information with little prompting. All bullet points on the same topic are on the same Flashcards and it involves little writing. This is great for science topics.
Dragon264
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anthony Ogundele)
Yh but doesn't question and answer flashcards get you into the exam technique. Questions are what you see in your exam paper which is why i think that question flashcards are the best type of flashcards.
Yes they do apply to helping you answer exam questions, so I think it’s best to do a mixture. But they can get repetitive and you might start to answer them not because you are thinking about the answer but because you know the questions off by heart.
Anthony Ogundele
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dragon264)
Yes they do apply to helping you answer exam questions, so I think it’s best to do a mixture. But they can get repetitive and you might start to answer them not because you are thinking about the answer but because you know the questions off by heart.
Exactly knowing them off by heart is the whole purpose of them because if they ask you in the test what is the role of the ribosomes you should be able to answer because you have been asked the question on your flashcards so many times that you can easily answer the question.
alwaysneedadvice
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you want an app that does spaced repetition for you, you can use Anki. It's free on Android and Windows but you have to pay on Apple (I don't know why). If you want to stick to quizlet, keep track of which questions you get right, and do them less often, and do the ones you get wrong more often. Also, you're flashcards should be concise. If you have a block of text it will be difficult for you to remember and often most questions will have answers that can be cut down to 1 sentence or a few key words. I find if you just put bullet points/key words it's better because you have to string them into a sentence and will make you actively process it, which in turn will make you remember it more.
Anthony Ogundele
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by alwaysneedadvice)
If you want an app that does spaced repetition for you, you can use Anki. It's free on Android and Windows but you have to pay on Apple (I don't know why). If you want to stick to quizlet, keep track of which questions you get right, and do them less often, and do the ones you get wrong more often. Also, you're flashcards should be concise. If you have a block of text it will be difficult for you to remember and often most questions will have answers that can be cut down to 1 sentence or a few key words. I find if you just put bullet points/key words it's better because you have to string them into a sentence and will make you actively process it, which in turn will make you remember it more.
yh I use qnki for most of my subjects on my laptop and on my android phone and it is so good
FluffyPaws1230
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've been using flashcards lately and all I can say is this: You have to keep using them until they are drilled into your memory. Using them one time won't cut it, which was a grave mistake on my part. In order to fully remember them you have to keep using them regularly, like when you first make them use them a couple of times, wait a few hours, do them again, then wait a day, do them again, then 3 days...you get the idea. Do that until it's drilled into your memory. Hope that helps at least a little bit!
Anthony Ogundele
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by FluffyPaws1230)
I've been using flashcards lately and all I can say is this: You have to keep using them until they are drilled into your memory. Using them one time won't cut it, which was a grave mistake on my part. In order to fully remember them you have to keep using them regularly, like when you first make them use them a couple of times, wait a few hours, do them again, then wait a day, do them again, then 3 days...you get the idea. Do that until it's drilled into your memory. Hope that helps at least a little bit!
yh I try to use anki daily so it doesn't mess up the algorithm otherwise it won't work for you
tsukife
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by alwaysneedadvice)
it's free if u use a mac btw
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (102)
5.18%
Uncertainty around my education (295)
14.98%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (208)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (276)
14.02%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (86)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (112)
5.69%
Loneliness (172)
8.74%
Financial worries (70)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.37%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.67%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (175)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (187)
9.5%

Watched Threads