is there any certificates i can take for oxford university?

Watch
username5484190
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
i already finished A-levels, is there any good certificates I can take to make my application strong? such as IELTS
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by AsKim)
i already finished A-levels, is there any good certificates I can take to make my application strong? such as IELTS
You will need to formally apply to Oxford university, submit a personal statement, sit any admissions tests (if applicable) and go to interview if invited.

If you are an international student your English will need to be of a certain standard. Here are Oxford's requirements:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...e-requirements

Yes, IELTS is one qualification they will accept but you need to have attained the score specified.

Good luck!
username5484190
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
You will need to formally apply to Oxford university, submit a personal statement, sit any admissions tests (if applicable) and go to interview if invited.

If you are an international student your English will need to be of a certain standard. Here are Oxford's requirements:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...e-requirements

Yes, IELTS is one qualification they will accept but you need to have attained the score specified.

Good luck!
ah okay thanks!

actually, i've been in the uk for 10 years now and thus no longer an international student. In this case, would I still need to take IELTs? I already did English language at GCSE level, although, is grade 4

also, because of my English level of the time taking GCSE, I believe the GCSEs do not reflect my true ability. Will this be included as extenuating circumstances? I already meet and exceed the entry requirement already for oxford, would this be enough??
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by AsKim)
ah okay thanks!

actually, i've been in the uk for 10 years now and thus no longer an international student. In this case, would I still need to take IELTs? I already did English language at GCSE level, although, is grade 4

also, because of my English level of the time taking GCSE, I believe the GCSEs do not reflect my true ability. Will this be included as extenuating circumstances? I already meet and exceed the entry requirement already for oxford, would this be enough??
I am not sure if this would be extenuating circumstances, to be honest.

If you have been living in the UK for 10 years, speak English fluently and are a UK student, I don't think they would need any proof of English language proficiency?
cactus11235813
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
I am not sure if this would be extenuating circumstances, to be honest.

If you have been living in the UK for 10 years, speak English fluently and are a UK student, I don't think they would need any proof of English language proficiency?
Quite a few universities do actually - for instance, Imperial has an English Language requirement of a 6 in English Language GCSE.

Some require tests like TOEFL/IELTS if people don't have a 6 in English Language, as this suggests that they might not have a good enough English level to understand the course (even if they've lived in the UK for a long time).
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by username11235813)
Quite a few universities do actually - for instance, Imperial has an English Language requirement of a 6 in English Language GCSE.

Some require tests like TOEFL/IELTS if people don't have a 6 in English Language, as this suggests that they might not have a good enough English level to understand the course (even if they've lived in the UK for a long time).
Good point.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (52)
28.89%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
7.78%
No I am happy with my choice (100)
55.56%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.78%

Watched Threads