jess_tunn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
So I’ve come to the conclusion that the course I’m on isn’t for me. Currently I’m doing illustration, but I have no motivation to continue. For me art is a hobby and not something I want to pursue as a career. I’m not finding it fun and it’s really getting me down.I’d like to transfer to an English related course because I think that’s where I strive the most, and would find it more enjoyable. I realise that I’d have to start all over again and I just need some advice. Is this a good idea? Should I just grit my teeth and carry on with my illustration course?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Are you getting a student loan to cover your tuition fees?

If you've studied for 2 years already then your first year on any new degree would be unfunded - that means no tuition fee loan for that year (but a maintenance loan for every year and a tuition fee loan for 2nd year onwards).

If this is something you want to consider then I'd suggest that you talk to your university student records or registry team and ask to suspend your studies at the end of the year. At the same time you should put in a UCAS application for the courses and universities you're interested in for 2021 entry. You'll need a reference from your current university as part of your UCAS application.
elamle
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I think you're much better off changing now if you can, since you can still get some student loan funding for the new course. Student finance funding covers three years plus a "false start" - so people can change their minds after first year and still get full degree covered. So functionally, this means you can get funding for four years. At a minimum, it could be possible for you to spend the next two years working part time to fund the final year, if you can't get other financial help.

Best bet would be to transfer to another uni course within the university your currently at - if you talk to your tutors and other staff right now, you might be able to start this September. Or, get accepted on the course and take a year out to save up more money.

My brother transfered to a different course within the same uni after one year, and he got in even though his a level grades were lower than the new course requirements. He had to do an interview, basically to show how passionate he was about the new subject and why he wanted to change courses. The way you ant to present it, ISNT to say how much you don't want to study illustrations, but emphasise how much you WANT to study the new subject. This will all be mich easier to sort out while you are a current student at the uni. Just make sure you study stuff for the new course so you can come across well in the interview.

I was the same way - I actually studied a year of international politics, before switching to art! I realised I'm a much better visual thinker, and I process academics much better through art. I'm so glad I made the change - I'm currently studying my masters in art history and curating, and have been accepted into a funded PhD programme to start this September.

I think its always better to be brave and make the choice thats right for you. And you're better off getting a good grade in a subject you find interesting than to do poorly just for the sake of sticking it out. Absolutely no shame in changing your mind. And your time on the other course won't have been a waste! In my case, it meant I was a bit older and more ready to handle studying when I started the new course, and I learnt really good skills from the first that carried over. International politics is actually a huge part of my current research!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by elamle)
I think you're much better off changing now if you can, since you can still get some student loan funding for the new course. Student finance funding covers three years plus a "false start" - so people can change their minds after first year and still get full degree covered. So functionally, this means you can get funding for four years. At a minimum, it could be possible for you to spend the next two years working part time to fund the final year, if you can't get other financial help.
That's not how previous study rules work.

Unfunded years are always at the START of the new course not at the end. OP would have to find their tuition fees for their first year of the new course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (68)
42.5%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (29)
18.13%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (60)
37.5%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.88%

Watched Threads