The Student Room Group

Different universities

Bf and I have been together for 2 years and stronger than ever.

What’s really worrying me is he’s due to go to Wales for university and I’m going to Southampton.

Should I accept that the relationship will likely fizzle out or end?

Does anyone have experiences of either staying together or splitting up in these cases?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Bf and I have been together for 2 years and stronger than ever.

What’s really worrying me is he’s due to go to Wales for university and I’m going to Southampton.

Should I accept that the relationship will likely fizzle out or end?

Does anyone have experiences of either staying together or splitting up in these cases?

My ex and I went to different unis and split up a few months in, but our relationship was failing anyway for various reasons, so his complete lack of communication with me during term time was really the final straw. I think it's definitely possible to stay together if you both continue reasonable communication with each other though - just make sure you're being honest and keeping each other in the loop about how the relationship is working, and be prepared to change things as necessary.
Reply 2
Original post by Interea
My ex and I went to different unis and split up a few months in, but our relationship was failing anyway for various reasons, so his complete lack of communication with me during term time was really the final straw. I think it's definitely possible to stay together if you both continue reasonable communication with each other though - just make sure you're being honest and keeping each other in the loop about how the relationship is working, and be prepared to change things as necessary.

Thanks that’s really good advice. I might be unrealistic wanting the relationship to last much longer :frown:
Reply 3
Thanks that’s really good advice. I might be unrealistic wanting the relationship to last much longer :frown:

It sounds like you're in as good a position as you can be going into uni, but circumstances change and people change so it's true that there is no guarantee either way. Definitely give it a go if you want to (I have friends who have been dating since 14 and are still going strong over halfway through uni), but make sure that you are communicating and that the relationship is still healthy for you (i.e. don't try and keep it going because you feel you have to, keep it going because you want to).

I'm sure the relationship has made your life much better over the previous 2 years anyway, so you'll never be able to look back on it as a bad thing even if things don't work out :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Interea
It sounds like you're in as good a position as you can be going into uni, but circumstances change and people change so it's true that there is no guarantee either way. Definitely give it a go if you want to (I have friends who have been dating since 14 and are still going strong over halfway through uni), but make sure that you are communicating and that the relationship is still healthy for you (i.e. don't try and keep it going because you feel you have to, keep it going because you want to).

I'm sure the relationship has made your life much better over the previous 2 years anyway, so you'll never be able to look back on it as a bad thing even if things don't work out :smile:

Thanks for that advice :smile:

Ur friends who stayed together did they go to the same uni?
Reply 5
Thanks for that advice :smile:

Ur friends who stayed together did they go to the same uni?

One pair of them basically did (different unis, same city), but the other pair are Leeds and Southampton - I think their main thing is having solid chunks of time together (long weekends away etc.) since they can't see each other that often :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending