What to do about acne

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So my GP just informed me has referred me to see a dermatologist but since he seen me last week my acne has cleared up a little as it happens like my acne will go good bad good bad.

Should I stop using the cream I’m on so my acne returns to how it normally is? I don’t want to go dermatologist with my acne looking like this as it will make the dermatologist believe either my acne isn’t even that bad or make them believe the cream works but it doesn’t.

Do I keep using the cream or stop? When I’m on this cream my acne will be good for a week maybe two weeks then goes bad again for weeks and repeat.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So my GP just informed me has referred me to see a dermatologist but since he seen me last week my acne has cleared up a little as it happens like my acne will go good bad good bad.

Should I stop using the cream I’m on so my acne returns to how it normally is? I don’t want to go dermatologist with my acne looking like this as it will make the dermatologist believe either my acne isn’t even that bad or make them believe the cream works but it doesn’t.

Do I keep using the cream or stop? When I’m on this cream my acne will be good for a week maybe two weeks then goes bad again for weeks and repeat.
Your best bet might be taking pictures of your acne as it is now and when it gets worse so the dermatologist can see. If you're on the NHS then a referral can take a while so even if your skin is clearing up now, if it's going cyclical good-bad it could be bad again when you see the derm if the cream isn't working. I swear those creams are useless, I've used a variety of them myself for acne and the only thing I've found that helps a bit is benzoyl peroxide on 'normal' spots (like the smaller ones that go to a head) but no topical application seems to help the bad, deep spots. I'm no doctor but if it's following a cycle could that mean there's something else going on too? Like with hormones?

It's difficult cos you want to be honest but also know unless things are bad you always seem to get fobbed off with 'lets see how it goes'
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Your best bet might be taking pictures of your acne as it is now and when it gets worse so the dermatologist can see. If you're on the NHS then a referral can take a while so even if your skin is clearing up now, if it's going cyclical good-bad it could be bad again when you see the derm if the cream isn't working. I swear those creams are useless, I've used a variety of them myself for acne and the only thing I've found that helps a bit is benzoyl peroxide on 'normal' spots (like the smaller ones that go to a head) but no topical application seems to help the bad, deep spots. I'm no doctor but if it's following a cycle could that mean there's something else going on too? Like with hormones?

It's difficult cos you want to be honest but also know unless things are bad you always seem to get fobbed off with 'lets see how it goes'
I have been on all the main creams and found exactly the same like they only work on the small spots but the deep big ones it does nothing and “let’s see how it goes” has been the line by GP’s to me for 4 years 😂 true a referral can take up to 6 months at my hospital but with Corona probably even longer so I’ll just keep using it.

Hopefully the dermatologist will see a long list of antibiotics and creams I have tried and will see through my acne at the moment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (102)
5.17%
Uncertainty around my education (296)
15%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (209)
10.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (276)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (86)
4.36%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (112)
5.68%
Loneliness (173)
8.77%
Financial worries (70)
3.55%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (87)
4.41%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.66%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (175)
8.87%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (187)
9.48%

Watched Threads