Melissabuckley
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So basically I’m in my second last year of school and I hate it so much and I would much rather go to uni that spend another year there. I’m studying 5 highers and I think I may be able to get 3 As and 2Bs this year, I’m interested in studying a chemistry or biology based degree.

The UCAS deadline was january and its now April but I’ve seen that they still take applications until June. If I were to apply now would I still have a good chance or is it not worth my time?
Jonathanツ
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No idea but have you heard of clearing? I hear that is good for people like yourself
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You would be advised to apply now. However before applying ring the university to check whether they have spaces. For a Chemistry or Biology subject most will have spaces although a few at the top end wont.
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can still apply now as usual (you don't need wait until clearing which happens in July/August in case you don't have any offers). If you go on UCAS you should apply the filter "vacancies for courses for XX" XX is your country/region of residency (not nationality). It will give you a list of unis and their courses which still take applications.

I don't know how quickly unis update UCAS on their vacancies, so yes, probably also a good idea to check with the universities directly. Some unis also say more about accepting late applications on their websites.
Last edited by Miss_mischy; 1 week ago
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can still apply via UCAS but you have left it late so it could mean that places in your preferred uni are now gone. There are 21 unis in Scotland so you will get to study Chemistry somewhere; it may not be Edinburgh or Glasgow.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
You can still apply via UCAS but you have left it late so it could mean that places in your preferred uni are now gone. There are 21 unis in Scotland so you will get to study Chemistry somewhere; it may not be Edinburgh or Glasgow.
Both had many courses in clearing for 2020. Glasgow had over 600. There is a strong possibility someone might get accepted. Nobody knows.
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Both had many courses in clearing for 2020. Glasgow had over 600. There is a strong possibility someone might get accepted. Nobody knows.
Those are often places for non-Scots as places for Scottish students, or those who are Scottish residents, are limited (government restricted or something along those lines). OP says they are studying towards highers, so he/she might be in the Scottish education system, so I don't know if it applies.

BTW, according to UCAS, Glasgow still accepts applications for some courses (may be an outdated list) BUT not for scots. Edinburgh not so much.
Last edited by Miss_mischy; 1 week ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Miss_mischy)
Those are often places for non-Scots as places for Scottish students, or those who are Scottish residents, are limited (government restricted or something along those lines). OP says they are studying towards highers, so he/she might be in the Scottish education system, so I don't know if it applies.

BTW, according to UCAS, Glasgow still accepts applications for some courses (may be an outdated list) BUT not for scots. Edinburgh not so much.
What you are referring to is the unofficial quota system used in Scotland. Due to no tuition fees they restrict the numbers and prior to this year EC students didnt pay fees either because of EC rules. Now we are not in the EC things are different but if there is no spaces that is it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (203)
42.92%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (71)
15.01%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (191)
40.38%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.69%

Watched Threads