Occupational health checks for MH nursing?

Watch
BritishBard
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, I'm looking to start a a mental health nursing degree (2022 intake) and have got part way through preparing my application, but I've suddenly realised that I might not pass the occupational health check and wanted to get a second opinion. A friend of mine has been a mental health nurse for years and said that he thought I'd be fine, but the more I thought about it the more concerned I am.

I'm a wheelchair user full time, and only able to stand long enough to transfer in and out of chairs. I have a few other physical health concerns that are well managed and stable. Am I wasting my time thinking of a mental health nursing degree? If I am, is there any alternative fields in medicine I can consider?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by BritishBard)
Hi, I'm looking to start a a mental health nursing degree (2022 intake) and have got part way through preparing my application, but I've suddenly realised that I might not pass the occupational health check and wanted to get a second opinion. A friend of mine has been a mental health nurse for years and said that he thought I'd be fine, but the more I thought about it the more concerned I am.

I'm a wheelchair user full time, and only able to stand long enough to transfer in and out of chairs. I have a few other physical health concerns that are well managed and stable. Am I wasting my time thinking of a mental health nursing degree? If I am, is there any alternative fields in medicine I can consider?
Hi there

I don't have the knowledge to give you a yes/no answer to this I'm afraid. But what I can say is that if it is deemed safe for you to do, then you will be given approval to do it. The occupational health check is about safety. They aren't going to let a blind man fly a plane, for example. So it is not about whether they think you can do it, but whether it is safe for you to be in that position.

My personal opinion is that in 2021 it would be a real shame that people could be prevented from doing something they want to do on account of a mobility disability. The university should be expected to make reasonable adjustments for you and please speak to their disability services well before you arrive for day 1. You'll also likely need to be in close contact with your academic department and personal tutor as universities are renowned for one department not communicating with another.

So I agree with your friend that I expect you will be fine. If you have any questions about being at uni as a disabled student, I am very happy to help. Though I am not a wheelchair user myself so can't help too much on the accessibility side of things.
petertyerman
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
there might be limitations in some areas of health care but generally, there should not be an occupational health issue provided you do not attempt to do something where your disability would compromise patient care. I would consider consulting the Royal Colledge of Nursing and universities on how they would accommodate your disability.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (329)
83.5%
No (65)
16.5%

Watched Threads