Conditional asks for an IELTS to prove my language skills

Watch
modii
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello

I recently got a conditional offer from my top choice, which I am super happy about, but one of the requirements asks me to obtain at least a 6.0 in an IELTS.

For some background I am a Spanish national, I've been living in the UK since I was 5 years old and I've completed the entirety of my studies here in the UK, including my A-Levels and the foundation year that I am currently in.

I am 23, I finished my A-Levels (Maths, Chemistry, Product Design) in 2016 and recently started a foundation year last September.

Admittedly, while my English is not perfect, it is about on par with (or above) the average English citizen, and to be honest it feels a bit degrading to have to take that test.

I initially contacted the university by phone and after I explained my situation they told me that it sounded like they made a mistake and that I should contact the university by email. I got a reply back this morning telling me "I’m afraid your A Levels will not meet the ‘5 years prior to your course start date’ period to be accepted for the English Language requirement so this will indeed be required".

Honestly I am a bit astounded, I don't see any other alternative here other than swallowing my pride and taking the test, but I wanted to ask here just in case, as adding another test to my list of things to do is not ideal for me.

Hope to get someone else's perspective on this.

Thanks
Last edited by modii; 1 week ago
XanaXoid
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tbh I think that having to take the IELTS, in your situation, is completely useless but unfortunately rules are rules. For the actual score getting a 6 should be easy
1hpremaining
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by modii)
Hello

I recently got a conditional offer from my top choice, which I am super happy about, but one of the requirements asks me to obtain at least a 6.0 in an IELTS.

For some background I am a Spanish national, I've been living in the UK since I was 5 years old and I've completed the entirety of my studies here in the UK, including my A-Levels and the foundation year that I am currently in.

I am 23, I finished my A-Levels (Maths, Chemistry, Product Design) in 2016 and recently started a foundation year last September.

Admittedly, while my English is not perfect, it is about on par with (or above) the average English citizen, and to be honest it feels a bit degrading to have to take that test.

I initially contacted the university by phone and after I explained my situation they told me that it sounded like they made a mistake and that I should contact the university by email. I got a reply back this morning telling me "I’m afraid your A Levels will not meet the ‘5 years prior to your course start date’ period to be accepted for the English Language requirement so this will indeed be required".

Honestly I am a bit astounded, I don't see any other alternative here other than swallowing my pride and taking the test, but I wanted to ask here just in case, as adding another test to my list of things to do is not ideal for me.

Hope to get someone else's perspective on this.

Thanks
you shouldn't see it as an insult or a personal attack. rules are rules and they have to be followed. they don't know you and as a result they're not saying your english isn't at the standard they need, they're just asking for proof in test format that your english is suitable for however intense the course is in the same way they'd require a test to be done on someone whose english may be a lot worse. your english seems perfect from what you posted and as a result the test should be simple. good luck and congrats on the offer
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you have GCSE English that meets the English Language requirements instead?
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This can happen when an applicant changes education systems and does not have an accepted English language qualification. As above, did you not take GCSE English Language, or did you achieve a grade below the requirements?
modii
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1hpremaining)
you shouldn't see it as an insult or a personal attack. rules are rules and they have to be followed. they don't know you and as a result they're not saying your english isn't at the standard they need, they're just asking for proof in test format that your english is suitable for however intense the course is in the same way they'd require a test to be done on someone whose english may be a lot worse. your english seems perfect from what you posted and as a result the test should be simple. good luck and congrats on the offer
I don't take it as an insult or a personal attack (though I can see why it could've come across that way), I guess that I am just surprised that going through the UKs education system, from primary school to A-Level, isn't enough proof... just because I was born in a different country? It just seems so beurocratic to say that it doesn't count because I've been working for the past 4 years.

I'm not really worried about the exam itself, I looked at some past papers and it seems like GCSE level stuff, if not less. Though it does cost almost £200.
modii
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Do you have GCSE English that meets the English Language requirements instead?
(Original post by Admit-One)
This can happen when an applicant changes education systems and does not have an accepted English language qualification. As above, did you not take GCSE English Language, or did you achieve a grade below the requirements?
I completed GCSE English with a B. From what I understand though, they don't consider that to be enough because that was more than 5 years ago.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by modii)
I completed GCSE English with a B. From what I understand though, they don't consider that to be enough because that was more than 5 years ago.
Give the university a call and explain you did all your schooling here and have GCSE English Language hopefully it will be enough. What university is it.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by modii)
Then this is an odd position for them to take. Unlike standalone English tests, GCSE’s don’t have a limited period for which they’re valid. Additionally you’re still in the U.K. and being taught in the medium of English so I can’t really see the logic of this condition. As above, I would get in touch with them to clarify and reiterate that you have GCSE English Language and have been in the U.K. throughout.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (75)
4.74%
Uncertainty around my education (242)
15.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (172)
10.88%
Lack of purpose or motivation (223)
14.1%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (71)
4.49%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (92)
5.82%
Loneliness (139)
8.79%
Financial worries (56)
3.54%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (71)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (76)
4.81%
Lack of real life entertainment (82)
5.19%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (137)
8.67%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (145)
9.17%

Watched Threads