Uni application

Watch
bunnyy___
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hey everyone is it bad if I lied about my household income on my uni application, I am also applying for a scholarship would I get in trouble for this?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
How and where have you lied?
If you are more specific we can advise you better.

Also the question you should be asking is "how should I fix this" rather than "is it bad". You don't need us to tell you that fraud is not exactly the greatest hobby in the world.
Googley_eyes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It depends on how far off you were from the truth as to how bad it is
bunnyy___
Rep:
?
I haven’t lied yet, also I’m asking this for my sister because she doesn’t have a student room account, so morally I’m in quite a good place however she wants to lie for some reason? And thanks for your reply 🙂
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by bunnyy___)
I haven’t lied yet, also I’m asking this for my sister because she doesn’t have a student room account, so morally I’m in quite a good place however she wants to lie for some reason? And thanks for your reply 🙂
Lie where?
bunnyy___
Rep:
?
I think about household income for like bursary’s
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I think about household income for like bursary’s
On where though? student finance, to the universities directly etc.
Googley_eyes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Well how much would she lie about? Applying for student finance they do ask for legal documents to check your income. I don’t think UCAS does this though but if she wanted a loan to pay the £9250 a year and then the accommodation then they’d catch her out
bunnyy___
Rep:
?
(Original post by Googley_eyes)
Well how much would she lie about? Applying for student finance they do ask for legal documents to check your income. I don’t think UCAS does this though but if she wanted a loan to pay the £9250 a year and then the accommodation then they’d catch her out
Thank you I’ll tell her !
bunnyy___
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
On where though? student finance, to the universities directly etc.
She said to bursary’s and scholarships?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm going to take an educated guess and assume she is intending to commit fraud on her Student Finance application.

This isn't how it works. Your parents will need to submit paperwork AFTER your sister submits the application. That parental input is how household income is measured. Not whatever number your sister puts down.
bunnyy___
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
I'm going to take an educated guess and assume she is intending to commit fraud on her Student Finance application.

This isn't how it works. Your parents will need to submit paperwork AFTER your sister submits the application. That parental input is how household income is measured. Not whatever number your sister puts down.
The 'commit fraud' is making me laugh 😂 Its not like we’re super rich trying to avoid tax and things shes simply trying to not be in debt
Anyways thanks so much for your help )
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
The 'commit fraud' is making me laugh 😂 Its not like we’re super rich trying to avoid tax and things shes simply trying to not be in debt
It’s still fraud though no matter how much you lie by :dontknow:
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Debt is inevitable with university finance. I am over £70k in debt. I have no intention of paying the majority of it back and what is left to pay when I am 48 years old will be wiped. Student debt is very different to conventional debt and your sister needs to be aware of this so that she doesn't (a) break the law and (b) give herself less money in the process
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
She said to bursary’s and scholarships?
Bursaries often refer to your student finance income assessment, so you can't try and fraudulently claim more of them than you are entitled to - they have thresholds so that the most in need students can access them, not those who would need to lie to qualify for them.
bunnyy___
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
It’s still fraud though no matter how much you lie by :dontknow:
I get what you mean, it doesn’t make it right obviously
I am simply just implying that the education system should not benefit rich people only, and I feel like not everyone can see the situation from our point of view and understand that she’s not lying to steal anyone’s money or anything, just get a better education 🙂
Hopefully you can kind of see why I was a bit sad at the phrase😂 xx
bunnyy___
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Debt is inevitable with university finance. I am over £70k in debt. I have no intention of paying the majority of it back and what is left to pay when I am 48 years old will be wiped. Student debt is very different to conventional debt and your sister needs to be aware of this so that she doesn't (a) break the law and (b) give herself less money in the process
I’ll try to convince her not to as I feel like student debt is pretty unavoidable 😂 and thanks so much for your replies!
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I get what you mean, it doesn’t make it right obviously
I am simply just implying that the education system should not benefit rich people only, and I feel like not everyone can see the situation from our point of view and understand that she’s not lying to steal anyone’s money or anything, just get a better education 🙂
Hopefully you can kind of see why I was a bit sad at the phrase😂 xx
By lying, your sister would only be robbing herself of her own entitlement. The student finance loans system was deliberately designed to allow everyone to attend higher education, not just those who could afford it. I would agree with you that isn't sad your sister is considering breaking the law to make herself poorer.
bunnyy___
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interea)
Bursaries often refer to your student finance income assessment, so you can't try and fraudulently claim more of them than you are entitled to - they have thresholds so that the most in need students can access them, not those who would need to lie to qualify for them.
Thanks so much)
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I’ll try to convince her not to as I feel like student debt is pretty unavoidable 😂 and thanks so much for your replies!
Play her this video:
https://youtu.be/mO_rAsMuAlM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (94)
42.53%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (38)
17.19%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (85)
38.46%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (4)
1.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed