Humayun786
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi

I'm currently a first year Maths student at the university of Manchester, and I am wondering if it's worth transfering to a joint maths and computer science degree?

Pros:
1. The reasons I'm considering it is because I want to go into the tech industry, and I feel computer science will help with that a lot.
2. I enjoy coding and maths a lot

Cons
1. I don't want to go through another year of university
2. I'll leave all my friends in my course
bunnyy___
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I say do it it sounds like such a good opportunity🙂 I don’t know you and how you might handle making new friends but it’s not necessarily a bad thing ! There will be a lot of demand for computer science in future so if you don’t want to be saying what if I did it? then I say go for it! Good luckk
Mathswizard789
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was in a similar position to you. I loved coding after my first year of a non-computer science degree. The way I see it is that you have 3 options.
-Stay on the course ( apply for internships, learn coding on side)
-Do the double honours with an extra year
-Do you current degree then IFF, you need to, you can do a masters in computer science.

Since your doing maths, you can always learn coding on the side and then finish your degree but just apply for a coding job.

That's what I am doing. I did economics at university and I don't have any problems with getting interviews for full-time jobs and internships for top tech companies/banks(as a software engineer)

Personally, I will tell you to carry on with maths as long as you don't hate it. Your degree choice doesn't really mean much.In fact, in a lot of companies, software engineers are not even just computer science students but STEM students in general.
Humayun786
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Mathswizard789)
I was in a similar position to you. I loved coding after my first year of a non-computer science degree. The way I see it is that you have 3 options.
-Stay on the course ( apply for internships, learn coding on side)
-Do the double honours with an extra year
-Do you current degree then IFF, you need to, you can do a masters in computer science.

Since your doing maths, you can always learn coding on the side and then finish your degree but just apply for a coding job.

That's what I am doing. I did economics at university and I don't have any problems with getting interviews for full-time jobs and internships for top tech companies/banks(as a software engineer)

Personally, I will tell you to carry on with maths as long as you don't hate it. Your degree choice doesn't really mean much.In fact, in a lot of companies, software engineers are not even just computer science students but STEM students in general.
Hey thank you for your reply that sounds great. I was just wondering is there any good online material I could use to self teach? (Preferably free)
Mathswizard789
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Humayun786)
Hey thank you for your reply that sounds great. I was just wondering is there any good online material I could use to self teach? (Preferably free)
Free:
-Freecodecamp on youtube (then do your own projects)
-Leetcode(this is for programming interview questions, but its also good to practise coding), start with the easy questions though

Paid:
Udemy(10 to 15 pounds on offer. only buy on offer)
= https://www.udemy.com/course/java-th...eloper-course/
= https://www.udemy.com/course/python-...eloper-course/

Those are the resources I used a lot. But also youtube/ stack overflow

The way you learn is by quickly going through courses(enough to understand it) then doing your own projects as this is where you learn the most.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (208)
42.98%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (74)
15.29%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (194)
40.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.65%

Watched Threads