Inspirational student/academic success stories? Proving people wrong!

Watch
Vickysasvari
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi All,
I'm doing a computer science degree and in my second year about to enter exams. I'm struggling to push myself.

When I initially wanted to enter this course my mum said I wasn't smart enough and "computer science material". I pushed myself in first year and got a 2:1 never had coded before that. However, even known I am doing this for myself it's hard working on it when no one really cares how well I do. I went on a walk with my mum and she said there is no point me doing computer science anymore, "I seem to know better" and don't listen to her and there are no jobs out there for me and going into web development is "redundant". I get her points but at the age of 20/21 I would love some support on what I do from family not being told I am wrong.

Has anyone got any good stories such as their parents saying they may fail or teachers or friends and you proved them wrong?

I feel like this would help motivate me a lot!
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Vickysasvari)
Hi All,
I'm doing a computer science degree and in my second year about to enter exams. I'm struggling to push myself.

When I initially wanted to enter this course my mum said I wasn't smart enough and "computer science material". I pushed myself in first year and got a 2:1 never had coded before that. However, even known I am doing this for myself it's hard working on it when no one really cares how well I do. I went on a walk with my mum and she said there is no point me doing computer science anymore, "I seem to know better" and don't listen to her and there are no jobs out there for me and going into web development is "redundant". I get her points but at the age of 20/21 I would love some support on what I do from family not being told I am wrong.

Has anyone got any good stories such as their parents saying they may fail or teachers or friends and you proved them wrong?

My stories come from not having to rely on the opinion of others. When the opinions of others do matter, that's where it falls apart.

I think of 4 instances during my study where I have turned things around.
1) During A Levels, I was almost failing a certain subject with appauling grades of CEU. In any right mind, I should have given up on the subject. Instead, I persisted, learned what was necessary to get the marks, prepare myself, and redid the exams. On the second run, I've got ACA* (the A* was 96%). Needless to say, it changed teachers' opinions, and it became one of my stronger subject.
2) A Level again. we were given the choice to opt for modules for our particular A Level, and the teacher thought I was crazy for picking mechanics instead of decision maths, because I wasn't doing physics and the rest of the class was. I perservered, and it became one of my better modules.
3) First year of uni, I was doing badly because I didn't write my assignments in accordance to the way the uni wanted. I was on the border of failing a certain module because of how low the assignment grade was. I got things back into shape, and it turned out that the same module became my second best module at 75% for the overall module, I think
4) During my master's, I wasn't doing so hot after a particular test for a particular, and we had a chat with my course director with his concerns. I shaped up, revised properly, understood what was required, and sailed through the module.

During work, I have helped turned a company around, contributed to a charity, and got a role that people didn't thought I would get.

For some reason, I keep having to prove people wrong over and over. It gets tiring after a while.

At the moment, I am having to try and prove that I could fund my way through uni again, doing something different. I have pull out all the stops on this one.

Main point is if you have a belief in yourself, know yourself, put in the hard work, use the right strategy, work smart, and know what is needed, chances are you will pull through. What would have really helped was knowing what was needed first; it can save you a lot of unnecessary grief. Whether you think are capable is not relevant to whether you will deliver. Focus on delivering and perfecting the delivery, and let the mindless chatter and gossip fizzle out in the background.
pineapplemango
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Vickysasvari)

My entire life.

My mother took her own life when I was very young. My father fell into addiction. I grew up with my grandparents.

Everyone told me that I would end up like my parents. They just expected it. If I told people about my dreams and plans they would laugh me straight in the face and tell me that "a child of drug addicts cant accomplish something like that".

I got bullied a lot because of it. Even members of my family were convinced that I was gonna end up like my parents, and they told me all the time. If I told them I wanted to study or make a career for myself, they and others would tell me stuff like "maybe go for something less challenging, something that would suit someone like you better"

When I first started high school, I ended up in the hospital due to a really bad case of pneumonia. I didnt attend for six months, and by the time I did start everyone had already made friends and no one cared about me being there. Some kids had even spread rumors that the reason I wasnt at school was because I was suicidal and I was out doing drugs, like my parents. Very few people even bothered getting to know me because of it. This eventually led to me actually becoming very depressed and suicidal, and I was hospitalized again. I barely attended school the following three years, and almost failed all my classes. My teachers told me I would never amount to anything, and the other students didnt understand why I would even bother when my life was doomed. Even my friends doubted me, and some of them told me to just go and die like my mother because that is what I deserved as I would never be able to get a job and contribute to society. At my high school graduation I didnt know half the people there. My classmates were crying cause they were sad to leave their favorite teachers, and I didnt even know their names.

I didnt qualify for any type of university in my home country due to my bad grades, but I managed to get an offer from a small university in the US. So I packed up all my things, and moved across the world. The last thing I told my family at the airport was "I'll come home in three years" and their response was "we doubt you will last that long". Some people in my family even cut all ties with me when I left for university, because they thought I was wasting my life trying to prove a point.

Things were going well, but I got into a relationship, and the guy eventually got very abusive, both mentally and physically. He would not only tell me that I was going to fail at everything, but also tried to make me do so by preventing me from going to classes and such. I told my family about it but they didnt believe me, because "your parents used to lie". One night when I was walking home I got sexually assaulted by a stranger, and my ex got so mad at me for it that he nearly killed me. After a year I managed to escape in the middle of the night, in a foreign country where I knew no one, with nothing but a suitcase.

Flash forward another 9 months, and it was time for graduation. I graduated not only top of my class, but top of my year. I had been on the Deans List every single semester. I was an honorary member of pretty much every honors society I could be. I had a 4.0 GPA. I was the first person in my family to ever attend university. I got into every single university I applied to for my masters. And I have now gotten an unconditional offer to my dream masters program at one of the best universities in the world. I proved everyone wrong. Success is the best revenge against everyone who told you you couldnt do it. Funny though, now they are all like "we never doubted you for a second!"....

I havent even included half of the stuff that I have been through or that has happened to me in this, because I obviously dont feel like sharing all the super dark personal stuff on the internet. But you asked for an inspirational story, so hopefully this will serve as a little bit of motivation
4Skin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I stayed off school half the time due to social anxiety and hassle at home, so was put in the 'spud' classes. Later I was sent to an 'alternative education' place where you did nothing all day but sit and draw unsupervised. People there would randomly start fires, get in fights and such.

After a few months I asked to come back to school but ended up failing most of the exams I sat because I'd missed too much work. Felt like an idiot. Left at 15, became homeless a few years later and ending up stay in temporary accommodation with junkies.

At 23 I applied for an evening course at uni that allowed entry for anyone over 21 subject to interview. Same content as the day courses, just a more restricted choice of modules and part-time. Had no idea how to even write an essay. I was so happy when my first mark was a D1. Transferred to the regular day degree and ended up graduation with 2:1 in Philosophy.
Last edited by 4Skin; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (132)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (398)
14.85%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (299)
11.16%
Lack of purpose or motivation (377)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (121)
4.51%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (163)
6.08%
Loneliness (229)
8.54%
Financial worries (98)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (109)
4.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (122)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (141)
5.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (236)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (255)
9.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed