The Student Room Group

Had unprotected sex what's the likelihood of me getting pregnant?

Had unprotected sex for an hour, he ejaculated in the morning by himself (like 6 hours prior) he didn't ejaculate in me just tons of pre ***, I'm on the last day of my period, what's the likelihood of me getting pregnant? thank you
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Pinky23456
Had unprotected sex for an hour, he ejaculated in the morning by himself (like 6 hours prior) he didn't ejaculate in me just tons of pre ***, I'm on the last day of my period, what's the likelihood of me getting pregnant? thank you

Precum does still contain sperm so that in itself is a chance. If we are making the assumption that you are not on hormonal birth control then let's see the likelihood of getting pregnant. One cycle can be about 22 days long meaning ovulation is a part of that. Sperm can live in your system for up to 6 days. It is possible that any sperm in your system could stay long enough to see your body ovulate and fertilize the egg as a result. Always use a form of protection of either hormonal or barrier (even better, both!) to keep you safest from pregnancy.

If you are concerned, a morning-after pill will best work up until 5 days post unprotected sex. It's a good way of protecting you from pregnancy if you fear no precautions were successful during intercourse.

In summary, it is possible to get pregnant in these conditions. If you were on hormonal birth control, I may say differently, but how this sounds I would say it is possible if you have a short cycle which is normally quite difficult for a woman to calculate. As I said, if you are nervous, take emergency birth control. Using any kind of protection is best, however. I understand that precum has less sperm in but ultimately could still get you pregnant with large amounts, we simply cannot know as these numbers do fluctuate from person to person.
Hope this helps!
Original post by PyroDino77
Precum does still contain sperm so that in itself is a chance. If we are making the assumption that you are not on hormonal birth control then let's see the likelihood of getting pregnant. One cycle can be about 22 days long meaning ovulation is a part of that. Sperm can live in your system for up to 6 days. It is possible that any sperm in your system could stay long enough to see your body ovulate and fertilize the egg as a result. Always use a form of protection of either hormonal or barrier (even better, both!) to keep you safest from pregnancy.

If you are concerned, a morning-after pill will best work up until 5 days post unprotected sex. It's a good way of protecting you from pregnancy if you fear no precautions were successful during intercourse.

In summary, it is possible to get pregnant in these conditions. If you were on hormonal birth control, I may say differently, but how this sounds I would say it is possible if you have a short cycle which is normally quite difficult for a woman to calculate. As I said, if you are nervous, take emergency birth control. Using any kind of protection is best, however. I understand that precum has less sperm in but ultimately could still get you pregnant with large amounts, we simply cannot know as these numbers do fluctuate from person to person.
Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it. I'm not on any birth control, my cycles are typically 29 days, my period always starts around the beginning of the month, my ovulation days I calculated to be 12-18 of this month, and we had sex yesterday, I don't know if any of this info is helpful to make a better decision, I might take a morning after pill if my odds are high but I'd like to avoid it if I can
Original post by Pinky23456
Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it. I'm not on any birth control, my cycles are typically 29 days, my period always starts around the beginning of the month, my ovulation days I calculated to be 12-18 of this month, and we had sex yesterday, I don't know if any of this info is helpful to make a better decision, I might take a morning after pill if my odds are high but I'd like to avoid it if I can

No worries. Shorter cycles make it more likely to become pregnant following a period but as I mentioned, with no hormonal regulation, it's difficult to tell where you are in your cycle and when ovulation will begin. If your cycle is longer than 22 days that improves your chances of not getting pregnant! It sounds like your normal cycle will prevent fertilization naturally but as I said, I can't tell what your exact hormones will be in a month. It sounds fairly promising but if you are nervous, there is no harm in the morning-after pill. Try not to worry!

Keep this in mind for the future however, relying on 'natural' birth control is risky and you can't really rely on it for a long-term sexual relationship. Despite that, I think you would be safe. I'm not a medical professional but from what I know, it does sound plausible that your body will naturally miss fertilization. Do what you think is best, of course, I cannot predict your own body's activities. Don't worry much, there are always things one can do to protect themselves!
Original post by PyroDino77
No worries. Shorter cycles make it more likely to become pregnant following a period but as I mentioned, with no hormonal regulation, it's difficult to tell where you are in your cycle and when ovulation will begin. If your cycle is longer than 22 days that improves your chances of not getting pregnant! It sounds like your normal cycle will prevent fertilization naturally but as I said, I can't tell what your exact hormones will be in a month. It sounds fairly promising but if you are nervous, there is no harm in the morning-after pill. Try not to worry!

Keep this in mind for the future however, relying on 'natural' birth control is risky and you can't really rely on it for a long-term sexual relationship. Despite that, I think you would be safe. I'm not a medical professional but from what I know, it does sound plausible that your body will naturally miss fertilization. Do what you think is best, of course, I cannot predict your own body's activities. Don't worry much, there are always things one can do to protect themselves!

Ok, thank you again for your help, I think I'll see how I feel later about it and maybe look into taking the pill :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest