Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Weirdly worded question but how can I be prepared for any question they throw at me? We did a maths mock recently and eventhough I was able to answer the questions they required you to have an insanely high understanding of the topics at hand.

We have another mock coming up and I dont want to be caught off guard. I always think I have an understanding of a topic but I end up not understanding it at all. Any advice/resources to improve my understanding of the topics in a level maths?

I do a past paper but feel like I've gained nothing from doing them since the papers they give us is on a completely different level so now I feel like doing past papers is just a false comfort.
TheDiscerningEye
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hiro2468)
Weirdly worded question but how can I be prepared for any question they throw at me? We did a maths mock recently and eventhough I was able to answer the questions they required you to have an insanely high understanding of the topics at hand.

We have another mock coming up and I dont want to be caught off guard. I always think I have an understanding of a topic but I end up not understanding it at all. Any advice/resources to improve my understanding of the topics in a level maths?

I do a past paper but feel like I've gained nothing from doing them since the papers they give us is on a completely different level so now I feel like doing past papers is just a false comfort.
Try out the 'gold questions' on physicsandmathstutor; I have been doing a lot of past papers and thankfully I have become quite comfortable with mathematics, I can instantly know what to do in almost all questions I see. So I suggest you stick at doing past papers with patience.
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by TheDiscerningEye)
Try out the 'gold questions' on physicsandmathstutor; I have been doing a lot of past papers and thankfully I have become quite comfortable with mathematics, I can instantly know what to do in almost all questions I see. So I suggest you stick at doing past papers with patience.
Thank you, I've never thought of that! Should I instantly start with gold or should I do bronze first to see what I know first?

Another question but I feel like I'm using past papers all wrong and not truly using them in a beneficial way. How do you use them to become confident with maths?
TheDiscerningEye
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thank you, I've never thought of that! Should I instantly start with gold or should I do bronze first to see what I know first?

Another question but I feel like I'm using past papers all wrong and not truly using them in a beneficial way. How do you use them to become confident with maths?
You should most certainly start with the bronze and silver questions, if you find them to be too easy then you should maybe start on gold questions right away. For the past papers, I think the best thing you can do for yourself is to do them under exam conditions. By just going through them leisurely, you risk just doing questions and then peeping at the markscheme. Try them all first, like in an exam, and then have a check. I also have a notebook in which I make note of all questions that I get wrong, then I come and revise from that notebook periodically.
Hiro2468
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by TheDiscerningEye)
You should most certainly start with the bronze and silver questions, if you find them to be too easy then you should maybe start on gold questions right away. For the past papers, I think the best thing you can do for yourself is to do them under exam conditions. By just going through them leisurely, you risk just doing questions and then peeping at the markscheme. Try them all first, like in an exam, and then have a check. I also have a notebook in which I make note of all questions that I get wrong, then I come and revise from that notebook periodically.
Omg thank you! Will I have enough time to improve my maths within 2 weeks? I'm scared that it'll be too late to start making a notebook.
TheDiscerningEye
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Omg thank you! Will I have enough time to improve my maths within 2 weeks? I'm scared that it'll be too late to start making a notebook.
I am sure you can improve your grade in two weeks (depending on what work you have in your other subjects), just don't ever give up! There is no task that lies beyond effort and desire!
hafsaqx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
how do u find the gold questions
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by hafsaqx)
how do u find the gold questions
I’m assuming they mean the old spec ones found nearer the bottom of this page https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com...-maths-papers/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (172)
41.85%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.84%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (170)
41.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.95%

Watched Threads