Are GCSE grade requirements flexible at uni?

Watch
Abdul ELtahir
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Most colleges require at least grade 6 sometimes to take A level Maths.
Yes, after I resit I'll most likely take it as an A-Level subject as well.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Abdul ELtahir)
Yes, after I resit I'll most likely take it as an A-Level subject as well.
To take A level Maths you need to be very good at it. Even people with grade 7 struggle. Grade 5 isnt good preparation for A level Maths. Most colleges wont accept you and even if they do you are likely to struggle doing it at A level. Think of doing something else and take a different A level. Get some proper careers advice in your school about your A level choices and career paths.
Abdul ELtahir
Rep:
?
To take A level Maths you need to be very good at it. Even people with grade 7 struggle. Grade 5 isnt good preparation for A level Maths. Most colleges wont accept you and even if they do you are likely to struggle doing it at A level. Think of doing something else and take a different A level. Get some proper careers advice in your school about your A level choices and career paths.
Now that you say it like that it does make me think twice, I feel like if i prepare enough and prioritise maths I'll be able to get good at it, the thing is it's really hard to get into finance and not have done maths at A-Level, I understand where you're coming from as well and I do appreciate your advice.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Now that you say it like that it does make me think twice, I feel like if i prepare enough and prioritise maths I'll be able to get good at it, the thing is it's really hard to get into finance and not have done maths at A-Level, I understand where you're coming from as well and I do appreciate your advice.
Have a word with your teacher about whether he thinks you are capable of achieving a good grade at A level Maths. He will know you better than me but generally someone with that grade isnt likely to be able to cope with the jump to A level.
Abdul ELtahir
Rep:
?
Have a word with your teacher about whether he thinks you are capable of achieving a good grade at A level Maths. He will know you better than me but generally someone with that grade isnt likely to be able to cope with the jump to A level.
Yh true I think you make a good point, I have to choose my subjects in August as well I want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into.
Last edited by Abdul ELtahir; 1 week ago
Arden University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm looking on studying finance at uni, however I'm pretty certain I'm going to get a grade 5 in maths wheres most unis require a grade 6. Will unis be flexible and allow me to do the course even if i get 3 A stars?
Abdul ELtahir
Hello! I work in education and give people advice with regards to admissions as part of my role.

Most Universities are not flexible because some courses are linked to professions where there is a legal requirement that you have certain GCSE's to get in (Nursing and Primary Teaching are the best examples of this).

Finance is not my area, but I've checked the entry requirements for Arden University for you and you could study the Accounting and Finance BSc, which is fully accredited by the ACCA - why not check out the course - https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/unde...unting-finance

There is a blended learning option for Manchester, Birmingham and London, or you can do the course online

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Abdul ELtahir
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arden University)
Abdul ELtahir
Hello! I work in education and give people advice with regards to admissions as part of my role.

Most Universities are not flexible because some courses are linked to professions where there is a legal requirement that you have certain GCSE's to get in (Nursing and Primary Teaching are the best examples of this).

Finance is not my area, but I've checked the entry requirements for Arden University for you and you could study the Accounting and Finance BSc, which is fully accredited by the ACCA - why not check out the course - https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/unde...unting-finance

There is a blended learning option for Manchester, Birmingham and London, or you can do the course online

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Thanks for showing me this I'll be sure to take a look! Appreciate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (75)
4.73%
Uncertainty around my education (243)
15.33%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
10.98%
Lack of purpose or motivation (224)
14.13%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (71)
4.48%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (92)
5.8%
Loneliness (139)
8.77%
Financial worries (56)
3.53%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (71)
4.48%
Exposure to negative news/social media (76)
4.79%
Lack of real life entertainment (82)
5.17%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (137)
8.64%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (145)
9.15%

Watched Threads