jessicav4321
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why are lymphocytes part of the specific immune response?
Eric.Sui
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So first, I'm going to assume that you're doing GCSE Biology, in which case lymphocytes are a type of white-blood cell, and the other type that you learn are called phagocytes - to be explained later.

Lymphocytes basically bind to the antigens of pathogens. Think of it as uniquely shaped protrusions on the cell membrane of bacteria, and different pathogens have differently-shaped antigens. So the lymphocytes then produce things called antibodies, which basically stick to the surface of the pathogen, and act as a flag for the phagocytes to identify the pathogen.

Phagocytes search out the pathogens, and then engulf them, before digesting it with enzymes. Pretty simple.

Another point - memory lymphocytes also retain their memories of the pathogen so they can identify it when it invades the body again - it's why your body becomes resistant to diseases you have caught before. They also produce antitoxins to negate any toxins the pathogen might produce.

That's about it, hope it helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.74%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (125)
60.68%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.56%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.94%

Watched Threads