My boyfriends parents are racist.

Watch
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So me and my boyfriend started off as friends at Uni in like 2019, and then eventually started dating a few months later, ever since then we’ve been inseparable and we really really love each other, like so much. He’s Asian (Chinese) and I’m Black. Initially, his parents (according to him) didn’t pay much mind and were dismissive of the fact that he was dating me, a black person. As our relationship progressed, so did their attention and aggression towards me being black. He’s told me that they have convinced him to break up with me BECAUSE I am Black and ask him “how long will you be dating her for” as if I’m some kind of experiment. His mother has continuously said (to him) that “she’s black, you shouldn’t be dating her, what will people think, I didn’t think you’d disgrace us like this” etc. and some other really nasty things. His parents refuse to see me, after my boyfriend brought up the idea of introducing me to them. My boyfriend does love his parents and I’d never wanna get in the way of him and his parents nor would I want him to pick between me and his family but I don’t know what to do. His parents despise me but I really love him and I would just hate to picture a future where he’s disconnected from his family because of ME.

Has anyone been in this situation before?

I really don’t know what to do, breaking up with him sounds like the last thing I’d wanna do in this situation but what do you guys think? What should I do?
sad to say this but you should of expected it with them being east asian..
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by ANM775)
sad to say this but you should of expected it with them being east asian..
Like I’ve mentioned within this thread, I’ve prepared myself for the worst, doesn’t mean I shouldn’t continue to date an Asian man, you say “you should’ve expected it” and then don’t give any advice, your post is pointless and dismissive. Me “expecting it” doesn’t change that they’re racist.
Callicious
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I’m not the “casual” type of girl, I like meaningful relationships, long term ones.
Never said you were. I'm just saying that (again generalizing) the whole "experimenting" thing you mentioned seems accepted, if you were to do it then that'd all be fine and well. Casual relationships aren't healthy imo but that's just my own subjective opinion.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Callicious)
Never said you were. I'm just saying that (again generalizing) the whole "experimenting" thing you mentioned seems accepted, if you were to do it then that'd all be fine and well. Casual relationships aren't healthy imo but that's just my own subjective opinion.
I wasn’t stating that you deemed me as one, I was just saying I personally am not interested in casual relationships, they’re very anti-climatic and a waste of time. As a woman who’s been fetishised and used as an experiment in the past, I can say for sure it doesn’t feel good when you come to find out the guy you’re with just wants to “try you out” instead of actually be with you long term and doesn’t want a future with you. Ever since then I’ve always stated what I want in a relationship early on to avoid wasting my time.
Callicious
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I wasn’t stating that you deemed me as one, I was just saying I personally am not interested in casual relationships, they’re very anti-climatic and a waste of time. As a woman who’s been fetishised and used as an experiment in the past, I can say for sure it doesn’t feel good when you come to find out the guy you’re with just wants to “try you out” instead of actually be with you long term and doesn’t want a future with you. Ever since then I’ve always stated what I want in a relationship early on to avoid wasting my time.
Times like these I'm glad I'm a dude who has no personal interactions with people, except my partner that is. Haven't met any scumbags like those yet and I hope to keep it that way. I wish you luck with the hunt for a perfect romance.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Callicious)
Times like these I'm glad I'm a dude who has no personal interactions with people, except my partner that is. Haven't met any scumbags like those yet and I hope to keep it that way. I wish you luck with the hunt for a perfect romance.
I already have the romance part, but perfect? Well, the parents are a bit...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (11)
23.4%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (12)
25.53%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (21)
44.68%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
6.38%

Watched Threads