how to speak to a 7 yr old?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
i know the title is kind of weird hahaha, but i have a half sister i haven't seen since she was a baby as her mum stopped her from seeing my dad and me. she is 7 now, and i am going to finally be able to meet her again this weekend.

i don't know why i feel so nervous, i rarely interact with children as there are none in my family apart from her. i don't know what kinds of things you speak to 7 year olds about or ask them???

i know this probably sounds really strange but i know it will be an odd environment for her, as she won't remember me or my dad and i want to try and make it as comfortable and easy for her as possible as she'll essentially be talking to strangers. any advice on what to say or do would be helpful, thanks so much
username11235813
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i know the title is kind of weird hahaha, but i have a half sister i haven't seen since she was a baby as her mum stopped her from seeing my dad and me. she is 7 now, and i am going to finally be able to meet her again this weekend.

i don't know why i feel so nervous, i rarely interact with children as there are none in my family apart from her. i don't know what kinds of things you speak to 7 year olds about or ask them???

i know this probably sounds really strange but i know it will be an odd environment for her, as she won't remember me or my dad and i want to try and make it as comfortable and easy for her as possible as she'll essentially be talking to strangers. any advice on what to say or do would be helpful, thanks so much
Smile a lot, look happy, treat her with respect (like you're speaking to another person your age), but don't swear or use jargon words. Ask her about school / her hobbies, and sound interested in what she says.

Just be yourself - 7 year olds are usually friendly, and you're already "cool" because you're older.

You'll ace this @Anonymous - good luck!
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tiktok and roblox, that’s all they know
2003a39
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The first reply has you covered. I've talked to 3-6 year olds like normal people, just bantering and speaking normally.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (9)
3.36%
Uncertainty around my education (42)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (30)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (38)
14.18%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (11)
4.1%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (18)
6.72%
Loneliness (19)
7.09%
Financial worries (8)
2.99%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (16)
5.97%
Exposure to negative news/social media (16)
5.97%
Lack of real life entertainment (15)
5.6%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (22)
8.21%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
8.96%

Watched Threads