The Student Room Group

Carbon Cycle Topic Question

Can anyone doing Edexcel A-level geography help answer this:

Explain why the level of economic development affects the energy mix of countries (6 marks)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
i do edexcel a-level geography, but I am not yet at the carbon cycle topic
Reply 2
use google
Original post by AC301
Can anyone doing Edexcel A-level geography help answer this:

Explain why the level of economic development affects the energy mix of countries (6 marks)

Hiya! I'm in Year 13 doing the same course.

Maybe briefly mention what the term energy mix refers to and then I think a few pointers you could use could be:
- Level of economic development tends to influence the infrastructure and technologies available in a country, meaning that where there isn't as much funding towards things like HEP, solar power, nuclear power, etc... the energy mix may be less diverse

- Priorities of countries with different levels of economic development may be different for example, although the UK has 150 years' worth of coal reserves there are plans to close traditional coal-fired power stations in order to decouple the economy from fossil fuels* (and essentially diversify the energy mix more) but other countries may just be focused on developing economically by any means

I think there could also be a point made about the focus on sustainability and how that can sometimes vary depending on level of economic development, impacting the energy mix as the shift is made from only exploiting fossil fuels to making use of various renewables...

- Level of economic development tends to be reflected in rates of energy consumption and consumerism in general so the demand for energy being greater may mean the energy mix is more diverse - in order to meet demands - in some countries than others

*The Oxford textbook helped with this if you have that one
Hope this has helped and makes at least a little sense! Sorry if it's unclear or repetitive at all as I haven't yet put much thought into this haha just thought I might as well offer a little help!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by imeumoabasi
Hiya! I'm in Year 13 doing the same course.

Maybe briefly mention what the term energy mix refers to and then I think a few pointers you could use could be:
- Level of economic development tends to influence the infrastructure and technologies available in a country, meaning that where there isn't as much funding towards things like HEP, solar power, nuclear power, etc... the energy mix may be less diverse

- Priorities of countries with different levels of economic development may be different for example, although the UK has 150 years' worth of coal reserves there are plans to close traditional coal-fired power stations in order to decouple the economy from fossil fuels* (and essentially diversify the energy mix more) but other countries may just be focused on developing economically by any means

I think there could also be a point made about the focus on sustainability and how that can sometimes vary depending on level of economic development, impacting the energy mix as the shift is made from only exploiting fossil fuels to making use of various renewables...

- Level of economic development tends to be reflected in rates of energy consumption and consumerism in general so the demand for energy being greater may mean the energy mix is more diverse - in order to meet demands - in some countries than others

*The Oxford textbook helped with this if you have that one
Hope this has helped and makes at least a little sense! Sorry if it's unclear or repetitive at all as I haven't yet put much thought into this haha just thought I might as well offer a little help!

Thankyou smm !!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending