Facing eviction in 2 months

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Lost my job through redundancy at the end of October. I didn't tell my landlord this (I rent privately, a studio flat) as I thought I would have enough in redundancy to cover it for a few months as well as my JSA and Universal Credit which I've been getting. I've had a couple of temp warehouse jobs which have lasted about 2 days at the most. To be honest I overcome with anxiety big style at interviews and on temporary agency assignments that I struggle to cope which is why I think I fail at these things. I've considered going to the doctor to see if I can have a permanent sick note for anxiety and depression and claim more benefits.

As I'm now coming to the end of my tenancy, my landlord has requested 3 months worth of payslips to ensure I can still afford the rent if I want to stay here for another 12 months. The landlord generally doesn't accept DSS claimants. Because I haven't been working I haven't been able to provide these and have now been given an eviction letter to leave by the end of May at the latest. I really am at a loss. What is the likelihood of the council giving me somewhere so soon if I approach them? I can't be doing with living in shared accommodation with nutter strangers because of anxiety of my stuff being nicked and being took the piss out of. I would need a studio flat at least. Plus I've got no relatives or friends I can stay with (could possibly sleep on my mum and step dad's sofa at the most).
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
The Shelter website will give you an idea of your rights and options.

Homelessness legislation varies in different parts of the UK and you've not indicated where you are.
Miss_mischy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What contract do you currently have? Is it a assured shorthold tenancy? If so, what's the end date?

I find it odd (from the details you've given here) that he would issue an "eviction letter". Does the letter say "notice seeking possession’"? There are certain steps a landlord has to take to remove you and specific letters. If you're contract end date already ended, I would understand sending this. BTW, even after the deadline on the notice passes, he can't just come by and kick you out. He has to go to court and get an actual eviction order. That'll take some time.
BohemianPhysics
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think the only other benefit you could get other than UC is PIP (Personal Independence Payment). This is paid based on needs rather than your money.

TBH I wouldn't be forcing myself to work if I'm struggling like that. You might get worse.

The council are unlikely to be able to help, but if you speak to someone at the Citizen's Advice Bureau they could help you get some accommodation.

I think your best option is to at least ask your Mum and stepdad, then save up your benefit money if you stay there.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Also, have a look at the advice on the local council website.

Apply to go on the waiting list of all local social housing lists.

Good luck with your job search.

I believe its not legal for landlords to discriminate against benefit claimants but i expect its hard to prove.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Perhaps look into ESA? Sickness and disability benefits are complicated.

Use a benefit calculator like Turn2us that may help you identify your entitlements.

Sickness/disability benefits for variable conditions like MH have a reputation of being hard to get. Make sure you get help or advice in completing the application form to reduce the chance of being rejected.

Apply for housing benefit if you are eligible as this will stop your savings being eaten into.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Are you up to date with your rent?

The eviction ban is still in effect.
https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...ce/coronavirus
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads