AlexaT.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've got a few questions, please answer 1 or 2 if you do/did psychology A-level.

Do you need to be good at biology? (Like would you struggle if you got below a 6 on bio GCSE?)
Is it mostly content?
How do you personally find it - what's the hardest bit etc?
What are good A-level combos with psychology or what other A-levels did you take if you did psychology?
Thanks in advance
Pichi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1. Nope. The only 'biology' related part is Biopsychology (a short section anyway). It's hard to wrap your head around excitation and inhibition at first, but it's such a small part of the whole course that you have time to understand it.
2. Yes, with lots of application questions and a few long-mark evaluations. You can also be asked to set up your own experiment in the paper. Research methods is also present in every exam paper and is the biggest section out of all of them in the exam (worth 40 marks for AQA, I think).
3. Learning all of the evaluations. Almost every new topic within the overall topic needs 4-5 evaluation points and it's not easy to score 16/16, but some evaluation points are methodology related (related to research methods), so you can come up with a few of the same points for almost anything you need to evaluate (e.g. you can talk about validity, reliability, lab studies, replicability, demand characteristics in almost every case, which covers 1-2 of the 4/5 points you need to give for a 16 marker).
4. Anything really. Some people I know do Bio, Chem (+ Maths) and Psychology (it's a good alternative if you want to do Medicine/Dentistry but don't want to do Maths at A-Level). Some do it with Sociology and History. I do it with English Literature and French.
Last edited by Pichi; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (171)
41.71%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.88%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (170)
41.46%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.95%

Watched Threads