Is Psychology assessed more like an essay subject or like sciences?

Watch
icelatte
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I've gotten into a college with three subjects but I am considering switching out art A level for Psychology instead.
The colleges requirement for psychology is a 6 in science, which is probably what I am going to end up getting.

Sciences are probably my weakest subjects. I get 6s on average because I am not so good at answering exam questions and meeting the mark schemes. I am good at essay subjects though, which I have heard is kind-of related to psychology A level?

So I am wondering if the exams and the way it is assessed is more similar to the sciences, or does it feel more like an essay based subject?
Last edited by icelatte; 6 days ago
nikk09
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Depends on the exam board to be honest. What exam board do your college do? I can only talk for eduqas which isn’t a very popular exam board but it’s mainly essays. There are a few 2/4 markers but the majority is 10/15/20/25 markers. No multiple choice either.
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by icelatte)
I've gotten into a college with three subjects but I am considering switching out art A level for Psychology instead.
The colleges requirement for psychology is a 6 in science, which is probably what I am going to end up getting.

Sciences are probably my weakest subjects. I get 6s on average because I am not so good at answering exam questions and meeting the mark schemes. I am good at essay subjects though, which I have heard is kind-of related to psychology A level?

So I am wondering if the exams and the way it is assessed is more similar to the sciences, or does it feel more like an essay based subject?
I have only done AS Psychology, but my impression of it is that it's more essay than science.
You do have to analyse some numbers and write up strict reports, but they're kind of limited compared to other subjects.

A lot of it would be reading psychological studies and writing about the limitations of research methods, since it's a big thing in psychology.
If you're asking whether it's anything like history or English literature, then no.
If you're asking whether it's more like physics, maths, or chemistry, then definitely not.

If anything, it's kind of like biology, but not so much that it feels like a science, or will be marked as one. Biiology and Psychology tend to be subjects that go together for a number of people.
icelatte
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by MindMax2000)
I have only done AS Psychology, but my impression of it is that it's more essay than science.
You do have to analyse some numbers and write up strict reports, but they're kind of limited compared to other subjects.

A lot of it would be reading psychological studies and writing about the limitations of research methods, since it's a big thing in psychology.
If you're asking whether it's anything like history or English literature, then no.
If you're asking whether it's more like physics, maths, or chemistry, then definitely not.

If anything, it's kind of like biology, but not so much that it feels like a science, or will be marked as one. Biiology and Psychology tend to be subjects that go together for a number of people.
Thank you that helps a lot
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 18 minutes ago
(Original post by icelatte)

Hey

I did Psychology A-level and now study it at Uni. At A-level, I found that it was more essay based. There are statistics/research methods questions which will require more science/maths based methods, however I found that the majority of my work was essay based

This is a bit different to at University, where there is a lot more emphasis on scientific reports and statistics. However I wouldn't say its something you need to worry about at A-level

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!
Sian- UoP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (130)
43.05%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
14.9%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (121)
40.07%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (6)
1.99%

Watched Threads