Driving tips - which mirrors to check at traffic lights?

Watch
olayapple123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I am a bit confused about what i'm looking at when moving away from traffic lights! When at the front of the queue, since i'm technically stationary, should i be doing a full mirror and blind spot check before moving away? I've also seen driving videos where people don't seem to check there mirrors...Which is correct for the test?
ahj.03
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
you don’t want to check your blind spots - well it wouldn’t hurt to but you only really want to do that when pulling off (rejoining traffic from pulling over/starting off) and changing lanes. checking your center mirror and left mirror (for cyclists) would suffice
olayapple123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by ahj.03)
you don’t want to check your blind spots - well it wouldn’t hurt to but you only really want to do that when pulling off (rejoining traffic from pulling over/starting off) and changing lanes. checking your center mirror and left mirror (for cyclists) would suffice
Thank you very much for this I thought that was the case but wanted to check as i won't be seeing my instructor before my test
ahj.03
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
no worries, best of luck!!
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
if you're at a traffic light, go right mirror, centre mirror, left mirror. (could be a cyclist on your left and a bike to your right ).
olayapple123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Thanks for this!

I had another tricky moment today that hopefully you can advise on too..

I was at a really tight left turn onto quite a busy road. I did it a few times and either hit the kerb or had my nose hanging out into the other lane a bit. I know both are dangerous and i need to sort this out before my test - any advise on how to tackle this one?? Maybe wait until the road is quiet before swinging out??

I can see both potentially being majors!
ahj.03
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by olayapple123)
Thanks for this!

I had another tricky moment today that hopefully you can advise on too..

I was at a really tight left turn onto quite a busy road. I did it a few times and either hit the kerb or had my nose hanging out into the other lane a bit. I know both are dangerous and i need to sort this out before my test - any advise on how to tackle this one?? Maybe wait until the road is quiet before swinging out??

I can see both potentially being majors!
At what speed were you going? For any left or right turns I go into second gear (providing its safe and clear of course) but maybe you simply just need to enter out slowly in 1st instead to ensure you complete the turn safely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (154)
42.78%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (53)
14.72%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (145)
40.28%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.22%

Watched Threads