this website is a troll haven
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by HasanQ585
this website is a troll's haven

That's true but I'm not a troll and I still don't know how that is
Even if I was I wouldn't say "yes I'm a troll..." just common sense tbh
I wasn't even acting like one loool
Original post by Jonathanツ
17 from Sunderland (Nearish Newcastle if u don't know where that is)

I just don't see the point, they run around on a field kicking a ball..... I mean cumon... how is that considered entertainment?

Sunderland, near Newcastle? You are a traitor to Mackems everywhere.
17 from Sunderland (Nearish Newcastle if u don't know where that is)

I just don't see the point, they run around on a field kicking a ball..... I mean cumon... how is that considered entertainment?

i agree whats the point like films
just a bunch of actors pretending somethings happening in front of a green screen

and tennis just 2 people hitting a ball at other

and music just some noise whats the point
Original post by barnet1471
Sunderland, near Newcastle? You are a traitor to Mackems everywhere.

What's that?
Original post by chelsea.uri
What's that?

A Mackem is a person from Sunderland. Someone who would never call themselves a Geordie (a person born within spitting distance of the River Tyne, which flows through Newcastle).

A person from Manchester would never say there are from near Liverpool, to give another example.
Original post by barnet1471
A Mackem is a person from Sunderland. Someone who would never call themselves a Geordie (a person born within spitting distance of the River Tyne, which flows through Newcastle).

A person from Manchester would never say there are from near Liverpool, to give another example.

Oh ok...
They are wayyy too overpaid then... £100k to run and kick...

Ok Ive had this argument before and disproved the person

it's simple think of football clubs as companies and the players as employees the players generate a certain amount of revenue they are then paid for that revenue they generated now they cant be overpayed cuz if they were the clubs would be making losses, moreover there is about 40%income tax so the more they get payed the more tax they pay this tax is used to improve the company

so there is no way they are overpayed or else football clubs would be making losses and as business men they want to optamise profit

moreover football require way more skills and hard work than u think
Reply 30
Original post by chelsea.uri
Ok I've established that thanks
Edited accordingly

I told u before that guy ok
Original post by Loganh
I told u before that guy ok

Huh
Who?
Original post by the_pharaoh
Ok Ive had this argument before and disproved the person

it's simple think of football clubs as companies and the players as employees the players generate a certain amount of revenue they are then paid for that revenue they generated now they cant be overpayed cuz if they were the clubs would be making losses, moreover there is about 40%income tax so the more they get payed the more tax they pay this tax is used to improve the company

so there is no way they are overpayed or else football clubs would be making losses and as business men they want to optamise profit

moreover football require way more skills and hard work than u think

I'd argue that they're overpayed in the sense that they're payed disproportionately more than people who do other sports requiring a skill level. I suppose the whole problem there is supply and demand rather than the clubs giving the players more than they're able to.
Becoming a professional footballer does require lots of skill and hard work but there are lots of other sports with many people who work as hard or harder* than the majority of professional footballers and don't get payed anywhere near as much.

The bottom line being: their pay is justified by public demand but not by skill (as compared with other sports)

*I justify the use of saying that they work harder as there are lots of professional footballers (in the region of 4000 by a quick browse on the interwebs) which means that there are more at lower skill levels who are still able to become professional as compared with a sport like cricket (400) - which I would call a moderately comparable sport in terms of team size. I assume that the cricket players are the best in the UK and therefore comparable to the best 400 football players meaning that, for their sport, more football players at a lower relative skill level are payed
Original post by Rufus the red
I'd argue that they're overpayed in the sense that they're payed disproportionately more than people who do other sports requiring a skill level. I suppose the whole problem there is supply and demand rather than the clubs giving the players more than they're able to.
Becoming a professional footballer does require lots of skill and hard work but there are lots of other sports with many people who work as hard or harder* than the majority of professional footballers and don't get payed anywhere near as much.

The bottom line being: their pay is justified by public demand but not by skill (as compared with other sports)

*I justify the use of saying that they work harder as there are lots of professional footballers (in the region of 4000 by a quick browse on the interwebs) which means that there are more at lower skill levels who are still able to become professional as compared with a sport like cricket (400) - which I would call a moderately comparable sport in terms of team size. I assume that the cricket players are the best in the UK and therefore comparable to the best 400 football players meaning that, for their sport, more football players at a lower relative skill level are payed

The main point I was tryna make is that the pay is justifiable by the revenue they generate
Reply 34
These two...
item_13_5839.jpg
Original post by Jigsaw_
These two...
item_13_5839.jpg

What about them?
Do you have a problem with homosexuality? 👀🤔
Reply 36
They are wayyy too overpaid then... £100k to run and kick...

What forms of entertainment do you enjoy?
Reply 37

The comparison you’re missing is the number of people that play football overall, compared to the number of people who play cricket overall.

The best 4,000 football players in the UK will be a smaller percentage of the overall than the best 400 cricketers against the overall number of players.

Football is far more widely played both in the UK and across the world as a whole than any other sport, so is then far more competitive to get to the top level.
Original post by Mess.
The comparison you’re missing is the number of people that play football overall, compared to the number of people who play cricket overall.

The best 4,000 football players in the UK will be a smaller percentage of the overall than the best 400 cricketers against the overall number of players.

Football is far more widely played both in the UK and across the world as a whole than any other sport, so is then far more competitive to get to the top level.

It may be more competitive to get to the top but there are more places at the top.
It's also much easier to go out to a park and play football and less equipment is required than for cricket. To me, that indicates that there are lots of people who play football though they have no interest in getting anywhere with it whereas, with cricket, there is a greater investment which results in people reaching a higher level.
Brief research by me indicates that Alistair Cook (highest paid england cricketer before retirement) earnt £1,500,000 per year. The average pay for a premier league player is £3,000,000 per year (as of late 2019) which is twice that of the highest cricketer salary. That, to me, indicates a disparity not simply based on becoming a footballer being more competitive.
Reply 39
It may be more competitive to get to the top but there are more places at the top.
It's also much easier to go out to a park and play football and less equipment is required than for cricket. To me, that indicates that there are lots of people who play football though they have no interest in getting anywhere with it whereas, with cricket, there is a greater investment which results in people reaching a higher level.
Brief research by me indicates that Alistair Cook (highest paid england cricketer before retirement) earnt £1,500,000 per year. The average pay for a premier league player is £3,000,000 per year (as of late 2019) which is twice that of the highest cricketer salary. That, to me, indicates a disparity not simply based on becoming a footballer being more competitive.

Again, you’re being slightly reductive on the numbers. There are around 2m people playing football in the UK, with 4,000 professionals. So only 0.2% make it as pro.

As you have a greater number of people playing, you are far more likely to pick up the absolute best of the best. So even the worst of those 4,000 will be playing to such a level it’s almost another game to the people further down the chain.

Cricket by comparison has around 364k players, so the sample size is around 80% lower than football. That means your chance of picking up the absolute best possible cricketers reduces by 80%, as you don’t have exceptional athletes even trying cricket.

This can be empathised by some professional footballers who were touted as potentially the best cricketers of their generation e.g. Phil Neville but ended up moving to football and only sitting within probably the top 300 in the UK at the time.

This is a similar reason why the US believes their men’s soccer team struggles. The top athletes go into NFL and Basketball, so they end up with what’s left playing soccer.

TLDR: the larger the pool to draw from, the more likely you are to pick up the best athletes/sports people.

Quick Reply