What Was Your Biggest Challenge as a Student?

Watch
cooltowering
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
What Was Your Biggest Challenge as a Student? It could be academic or personal. Were you able to go through with it? What did you learn from it?
FluffyAkitaBoy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Performance anxiety and procrastination.

I could not start on assignments because I wanted to get them perfect. Include all strong arguments and counter arguments (which means reading dozens of papers and books) and write at the highest level of abstraction.

Now, you can probably do those things in a 40K word dissertation but not really on a 3K-4K word essay. For such short assignments, you merely have to give a good enough argument for your thesis, the strongest objections to it and defend your conclusion from them - and that is all.

I'd worry about the outcome of an assignment before I had even started the readings on it. I mean worry as in lose my sleep over them.

So imo, you start assignments and reading first without thinking about the outcome or what the essay is gonna look like. Jjust read and write. It's easy to say but difficult to do because your brain constantly tells you (or rather it does to me) "you can't get this right, you're not good enough" while you've to focus on reading complicated, long texts. Self-sabotage is the worst.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by cooltowering)
What Was Your Biggest Challenge as a Student? It could be academic or personal. Were you able to go through with it? What did you learn from it?
Hi there,

I hope you're well

The biggest challenge for me as a student was learning how to become independent. from doing the food shop each week to learning how to cook! I don't think I realised how big of a step moving out of your parents house. But of course, I'm sure that most people feel like this, and it just gets better with time But, I must say that it's made me such a better person!

I hope that's helpful

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi cooltowering,

For me the biggest challenge was getting to grips with my course. I study Marketing Communications and Advertising, but prior to university I'd had no experience in any business-related subjects. I studied History, Classics and Politics at school so my degree choice was a bit of a gamble for me. Because I felt a bit out of my depth I worked really hard to make sure I understood the materials. I didn't skip any lectures or seminars, made sure I read around the subject and pushed myself to participate. This paid off for me and I ended up being more confident in my own abilities which reflected well in my work. It also meant that academically I was making the most of my degree

Lucy
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I think for me the biggest challenge (in terms of, the challenge that took the longest to overcome) was the gulf between school and uni academically. My schooling had not really equipped me for uni so though I was bright and showed potential, in terms of knowledge I was severely lacking and didn't (and still don't) know a lot of things considered "basic" within my subject area I went from being a big fish in a teeny-tiny pond, to a tadpole in an ocean
cooltowering
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 minute ago
(Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep)
Hi there,

I hope you're well

The biggest challenge for me as a student was learning how to become independent. from doing the food shop each week to learning how to cook! I don't think I realised how big of a step moving out of your parents house. But of course, I'm sure that most people feel like this, and it just gets better with time But, I must say that it's made me such a better person!

I hope that's helpful

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
I feel you, it's really hard to be independent at first, but eventually, we will get through it. So you also do your own budgeting?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (68)
18.99%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.25%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.75%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.84%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.07%
Taster lectures or seminars (77)
21.51%
Speak to current students studying my course (81)
22.63%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (16)
4.47%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.63%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.23%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.68%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
1.96%

Watched Threads