The Student Room Group

Moving to uni

Should I just bring clothing and essentials and buy the rest when I get there?
(edited 3 years ago)
You will be fine

I'm guessing most people overpack anyways, more opportunity to nick all their stuff, if uni is like secondary school they will never even know it's gone..
Original post by purplecrocs
Hi! I’m hoping to go to uni in England in September but as I live in Dublin I’m planning to get a flight over (alone). I know that people usually bring a lot of stuff (kitchen stuff, bedroom stuff etc) but I won’t be able to do that. Should I just bring clothing and essentials and buy the rest when I get there? Also do you think anyone else will be in the same position as I feel like I’ll be the odd one out ? :smile:

This website does kits that can be delivered to the uni
https://www.unikitout.com
Reply 3
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
This website does kits that can be delivered to the uni
https://www.unikitout.com

Thank you!!
Hi there,

I hope you're well :smile:

I'm unsure about which University you are planning on going to, but at Liverpool this is so common! My friend also lives in Dublin and flies to and from. I would suggest bringing only the essentials over, and buying anything extra over here! It just saves you from bringing over things that you might not need and gives space for the most important things! :biggrin:

I hope that's helpful! Good Luck!

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi! I’m hoping to go to uni in England in September but as I live in Dublin I’m planning to get a flight over (alone). I know that people usually bring a lot of stuff (kitchen stuff, bedroom stuff etc) but I won’t be able to do that. Should I just bring clothing and essentials and buy the rest when I get there? Also do you think anyone else will be in the same position as I feel like I’ll be the odd one out ? :smile:

Hey @purplecrocs,

Hope you're well and looking forward to starting to university :smile:

I think that makes perfect sense!

I live four hours away from Salford rather than in a totally different country, but it might've been a good idea for me to do the same thing so my dad's car wasn't so full for the journey :biggrin:

Don't worry about being the odd one out either, everyone will be buying bits and pieces they've forgotten or didn't realise they'd need.

Good luck!

Sophie - Student Ambassador

Hello!

I think that is a good idea up to an extent, as you want to make sure over your firs few days that you have all of the essentials :smile:

Some things that I think are a "must have" when going to uni are:

1. Slippers/ Sliders
I lived in sliders all the time at uni, mostly because I didn't know how clean the floor was haha!

2. Heated clothes horse/ stand up clothes dryer/ sock dryer

3. Disposable camera
It's a really great thing to do to make some memories and can print off at the end of the term/ year!

4. Mini portable speaker
Can use for pres or just in your bedroom.

5. Door stop
My flatmates did too and we chose to leave our door open if we felt like inviting others in our flat to come in our rooms, using a 'open door policy'. It was just a nice and easier way to get to know my flatmates and would definitely recommend it especially if you're not very confident in going and talking to people. However, double check with your accommodation about fire door regulation's/ safety measures.

6. Things to decorate your room with!
Photo frames, photo prints, soft furnishings, cacti, fake plants, fairy lights, lava lamp, bunting etc.

Also, it's a good idea to watch student moving in vlogs on Youtube to get some ideas! I also recommend having a list on your phone, as you'll find yourself randomly thinking of new things and you can make sure you write it down and don't forget!

The things that I would wit until buying would be a kettle/toaster/microwave. If you're living in student halls with other students, the accommodation may provide it already, and other student's may have decided to take it and you don't want to end up with 6 kettles!

Best of luck at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Hey @purplecrocs

I made a list of what I was going to take to uni at the beginning of the summer, so it's good that you're starting to prepare now. Make a list of things you'll need, you may find this link helpful:

https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/accommodation/ouraccommodation/whatsincluded/whattobring/

As @University of Portsmouth Student Rep mentioned a doorstop is useful for your bedroom door. I packed lots of clothes hangers as these often aren't provided in halls. I would also recommend taking an extension cable so you can plug in your laptop, hairdryer etc. I found it useful having a printer in my room to print out assignments so I could go over them and make changes before I handed them in. It depends on your course but some tutors prefer you to submit a hard copy as well as an electronic copy of an assignment. Pack a heavy coat as you'll probably have a 10-15 minute walk to uni depending on where you’re living on campus. I usually wear jeans, hoodies and trainers to uni everyday.

I made my room more homely by hanging up some fairy lights and had a few little things on my desk such as pictures of family and friends and plants. I didn't actually do a shop for kitchen utensils until I moved as I wanted to see what the accommodation had provided for us e.g. kettle, toaster etc. The Range has a great selection of little extras for your room and B&M is really cheap for bathroom essentials too.

Hope this helps :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending