Can a GP diagnose OCD?

Watch
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dhjctiv)
Thank you mate. Can I ask, does your friend have experience of the joining the military with MH issues?
Unsure, I just see them offer a lot of help in similar threads, I think they're a recuiter (please correct me if I'm wrong!! lol).
Dhjctiv
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pathway)
Unsure, I just see them offer a lot of help in similar threads, I think they're a recuiter (please correct me if I'm wrong!! lol).
Well, thank you anyway. Much appreciated.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, thank you anyway. Much appreciated.
You're welcome!
Bumble18
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My GP said ‘OCD tendencies’ and directed me to mental health services, so I don’t think so. My actual MH diagnosis’ have always come from psychiatrists who did also receive input from my GP + other services.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pathway)
Hm, well, I hope you find out soon, officially or not. I've heard that some MH diagnoses require a period of recovery before the army will accept, so you might be able to get into the army anyway. I'm not super familiar with the ins and outs of it though.

Surnia is though (hope you don't mind the tag).
No problem!
I want to join the army. OCD will permanently disqualify me from joining. I have a phone call on Friday. Its a medical triage I think. I'm trying to arrange an appointment with a doctor, albeit its difficult on account of the pandemic.
Ex-RAF Recruiter, though all branches of the Armed Forces work to the same basic medical standards.

Even when in the job, we couldn't comment on specific medical conditions because a) we aren't medically trained and b) we don't see your records. The only thing you can do is what and see what happens at your medical assessment. If there are any queries over the content of your records, you will be made Temporarily Medically Unfit (TMU) whilst further investigation is carried out.

Yes, OCD is a bar to entry to the Forces, and ignore the post that suggests lying about it (which has been reported). Individuals are kicked out for dishonesty during their application, and hiding a serious condition like OCD is putting resources and, more importantly, other people at risk. Whatever role someone is applying for, there will be stresses during training, lack of routine, quick decisions required and they will be handling weapons and ammunition, and that's not what the military want someone doing if there is a chance the individual may not cope. Sorry I can't give you better news!
HorribleHatty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A GP cannot diagnose OCD. If they suspected OCD they would refer you to mental health services for assessment. They can say “likely OCD”, or “suspected OCD”, or “indicates OCD”. They cannot formally diagnose it.
Dhjctiv
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
No problem!

Ex-RAF Recruiter, though all branches of the Armed Forces work to the same basic medical standards.

Even when in the job, we couldn't comment on specific medical conditions because a) we aren't medically trained and b) we don't see your records. The only thing you can do is what and see what happens at your medical assessment. If there are any queries over the content of your records, you will be made Temporarily Medically Unfit (TMU) whilst further investigation is carried out.

Yes, OCD is a bar to entry to the Forces, and ignore the post that suggests lying about it (which has been reported). Individuals are kicked out for dishonesty during their application, and hiding a serious condition like OCD is putting resources and, more importantly, other people at risk. Whatever role someone is applying for, there will be stresses during training, lack of routine, quick decisions required and they will be handling weapons and ammunition, and that's not what the military want someone doing if there is a chance the individual may not cope. Sorry I can't give you better news!
Thank you so much for getting back to me.

Honest news is good news I suppose.

Perhaps I'll get in. I cannot be certain however. I've more than recovered and feel able to cope with the lack of routine, dirt etc. of basic training though understand that the army cannot afford to take chances, especially when it comes to mental health.

I appreciate your guidance and advice.

Stay safe, God bless.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (184)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (539)
14.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (408)
11.1%
Lack of purpose or motivation (507)
13.8%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (182)
4.95%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (221)
6.01%
Loneliness (310)
8.44%
Financial worries (135)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.95%
Exposure to negative news/social media (166)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (209)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (327)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (342)
9.31%

Watched Threads