The Student Room Group

btec going on to doing radiography

has anyone done btec level 3 applied science and then gone on to do radiography at uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uz121
has anyone done btec level 3 applied science and then gone on to do radiography at uni

Yes, you can I have seen people who did btec and went to radiography.I myself am doing btec applied science and have applied to study diagnostic radiography. I already hold 2 offers, waiting for 2 decisions and still have one interview to give :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CrystalRose17
Yes, you can I have seen people who did btec and went to radiography.I myself am doing btec applied science and have applied to study diagnostic radiography. I already hold 2 offers, waiting for 2 decisions and still have one interview to give :smile:

thanks for the reply. I want to ask how the course has been for you and if you regret not doing a levels instead
Original post by uz121
thanks for the reply. I want to ask how the course has been for you and if you regret not doing a levels instead

To be more specific I would say I have and not at the same time.
I have regretted it because for btec it needs too much time on assignments, deadlines to make sure you get a distinction or merit in each assignment as even if one assignment in a unit is a pass then the overall grade of that unit is a pass. Sometimes it gets so confusing on what to write in the assignment and what not you have to make sure it's in your own words and keep the plagiarism percentage less than 30% cite and reference properly each resource you use. Not so many online resources and past papers assignments examples available literally it's very hard to find one while on the other hand for a-levels you have one exam only at the end of the year and there a ton of resources available online. Also, not all unis accept btec and some may accept it but have some specific unit requirements or want a specific grade in specific units and some do accept but with a science a level. Like my friend, she is applying for biomedical science she wanted to go to kings college or queen mary but they straightforwardly rejected her as they require a science a level with btec.
But the advantages of doing a btec are that you get used to assignments, time management how to reference how to do your research etc. Basically, in uni, most of your work will require these skills so you are prepared for it a thing which a level students will struggle with. Another advantage is that a level students have to cram up everything for one exam if they got the grade ok if not they have to resist like another year. But in btech basically while doing assignments you don't have to cram up anything you do your research, read articles watch videos basically you understand the content to be able to write and explain it in your own words, you can do a resub if you are near the criteria and also ask for help from a teacher, classmate, a friend when doing the assignment for the part you don't understand like what are you supposed to do (but remember you cant plagarise like write word to word ). Also, you have 2 exams in both years. Year one exams i found are fairly good if yous study year 2 are a little hard but if you study hard you can manage it. You also have the opportunity to resit at the end of the year .e.g in year one exams take place in January you get your grade in march and can resit in May/June again which can boost up your grades for your results in august .same goes with year two. So basically you get the chance to improve your grade throughout the year something you don't get in a level.

In a conclusion, it depends on the person itself what type of learning they want and what suits them. Some people combine applied science btec with a level it can be anything like bio, chem, maths, psychology or sociology. While most of the people who take btec are the people who don't have the grades for a science a level so btec is an alternative route to go into sciences and healthcare which a wide range of universities do accept. So I would say if you have the grades go with a level as they are more recognisable.If you don't have the grade you can take a btec and an a-level alongside which do meet the grade and like it You can also take btec applied science alone as well as if you have a good grade in it you can get into a wide range of professions.
I personally really like the course and enjoy doing it they were some moments when I was like why did I choose btec but there are also many more times i don't regret it .( i would tell you the best at the end of the year before the results as I would know my grade for most of my units I can roughly estimate what my grade will be this is really useful when choosing my firm and insurance choice ).

Also, very important information all the things I told you above is what happens in normal times but since last year due to covid exams were cancelled, some assignments we also cancelled and they gave us predicted grade which is a total mess up . I don't even know what gonna happen or how are they gonna calculate our exam units this year so I am not giving any comment on that.

If you have any other question feel free to ask .Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
To be more specific I would say I have and not at the same time.
I have regretted it because for btec it needs too much time on assignments, deadlines to make sure you get a distinction or merit in each assignment as even if one assignment in a unit is a pass then the overall grade of that unit is a pass. Sometimes it gets so confusing on what to write in the assignment and what not you have to make sure it's in your own words and keep the plagiarism percentage less than 30% cite and reference properly each resource you use. Not so many online resources and past papers assignments examples available literally it's very hard to find one while on the other hand for a-levels you have one exam only at the end of the year and there a ton of resources available online. Also, not all unis accept btec and some may accept it but have some specific unit requirements or want a specific grade in specific units and some do accept but with a science a level. Like my friend, she is applying for biomedical science she wanted to go to kings college or queen mary but they straightforwardly rejected her as they require a science a level with btec.
But the advantages of doing a btec are that you get used to assignments, time management how to reference how to do your research etc. Basically, in uni, most of your work will require these skills so you are prepared for it a thing which a level students will struggle with. Another advantage is that a level students have to cram up everything for one exam if they got the grade ok if not they have to resist like another year. But in btech basically while doing assignments you don't have to cram up anything you do your research, read articles watch videos basically you understand the content to be able to write and explain it in your own words, you can do a resub if you are near the criteria and also ask for help from a teacher, classmate, a friend when doing the assignment for the part you don't understand like what are you supposed to do (but remember you cant plagarise like write word to word ). Also, you have 2 exams in both years. Year one exams i found are fairly good if yous study year 2 are a little hard but if you study hard you can manage it. You also have the opportunity to resit at the end of the year .e.g in year one exams take place in January you get your grade in march and can resit in May/June again which can boost up your grades for your results in august .same goes with year two. So basically you get the chance to improve your grade throughout the year something you don't get in a level.

In a conclusion, it depends on the person itself what type of learning they want and what suits them. Some people combine applied science btec with a level it can be anything like bio, chem, maths, psychology or sociology. While most of the people who take btec are the people who don't have the grades for a science a level so btec is an alternative route to go into sciences and healthcare which a wide range of universities do accept. So I would say if you have the grades go with a level as they are more recognisable.If you don't have the grade you can take a btec and an a-level alongside which do meet the grade and like it You can also take btec applied science alone as well as if you have a good grade in it you can get into a wide range of professions.
I personally really like the course and enjoy doing it they were some moments when I was like why did I choose btec but there are also many more times i don't regret it .( i would tell you the best at the end of the year before the results as I would know my grade for most of my units I can roughly estimate what my grade will be this is really useful when choosing my firm and insurance choice ).

Also, very important information all the things I told you above is what happens in normal times but since last year due to covid exams were cancelled, some assignments we also cancelled and they gave us predicted grade which is a total mess up . I don't even know what gonna happen or how are they gonna calculate our exam units this year so I am not giving any comment on that.

If you have any other question feel free to ask .Hope this helps :smile:

wow. thanks for giving me an insight to how the course is. if u don't mind me asking what grade do u think u will get and what unj did u apply to
Original post by uz121
wow. thanks for giving me an insight to how the course is. if u don't mind me asking what grade do u think u will get and what unj did u apply to

😂I got a merit in year one for year 2 like now I still don't know as my assignments are in progress bit might have an prediction by the end of May as my teacher said she has to send all the grades in June so she should have mark all my work till then for now I am like have done half assignments for most units so can't tell until all assignments are marked .And they also haven't told is what's gonna happen with the exam units like how are they gonna give the grade of them .

I have applied to
De monfort uni (received an offer conditional if I get DDD)
London South bank (received an offer same as above )
city university of London (waiting to hear back about the decision of the interview )I had my interview last week
st georges university London (waiting to hear back as well had my interview today ).
Hertfordshire uni (have an interview next week )

☺️
Reply 6
😂I got a merit in year one for year 2 like now I still don't know as my assignments are in progress bit might have an prediction by the end of May as my teacher said she has to send all the grades in June so she should have mark all my work till then for now I am like have done half assignments for most units so can't tell until all assignments are marked .And they also haven't told is what's gonna happen with the exam units like how are they gonna give the grade of them .

I have applied to
De monfort uni (received an offer conditional if I get DDD)
London South bank (received an offer same as above )
city university of London (waiting to hear back about the decision of the interview )I had my interview last week
st georges university London (waiting to hear back as well had my interview today ).
Hertfordshire uni (have an interview next week )

☺️

on dmu the entry requirements say u need at least a ddm. how come urs is higher
Original post by uz121
on dmu the entry requirements say u need at least a ddm. how come urs is higher

I had to login and check again my mistake its ddm sorry as I don't plan to go there I didn't put much attention to it just had the other in my mind .
So for dmu offer requirement is ddm and for lsb is ddd
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
I had to login and check again my mistake its ddm sorry as I don't plan to go there I didn't put much attention to it just had the other in my mind .
So for dmu offer requirement is ddm and for lsb is ddd

what uni do u plan on going. and how are u able to achieve the entry requirement if you got a merit in the first year
Original post by uz121
what uni do u plan on going. and how are u able to achieve the entry requirement if you got a merit in the first year

I want to go to hertfordshire and I have calculated the points if I get distinction or merit in each unit I will be able to meet the requirements .If I am not able to then try through clearing.
Reply 10
I want to go to hertfordshire and I have calculated the points if I get distinction or merit in each unit I will be able to meet the requirements .If I am not able to then try through clearing.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but its because I'm thinking of starting this course next year. how come u chose btec science and would u recommend jt
Original post by uz121
I know I'm asking a lot of questions but its because I'm thinking of starting this course next year. how come u chose btec science and would u recommend jt

I choose btec because I moved in 2018 with my family to UK .I was late like October so the college told me they can't accept me because I am 18 and late they had also told me to do some gcses if I want to go to healthcare in uni as most unis require math and English and at least 5 gcses so I that year then I did my gcses as a private candidate by self studying .I did 6 gcses math ,English language,literature ,double science and urdu .I did pass them but I didn't get enough marks for science a levels so I went to a further education college to do a btec as I wanted to go to healthcare .
My circumstances are different from yours so I would say try to get good gcse grades its best if you can get above 6 and apply for a levels as they are more recognised you have to only worry about one series of exams .You can find many free resources ,videos ,guides etc on library online and if you want to apply to a top uni like kings or ucl its best .So only if you don't get the grades for the a levels and want to do something science related or healthcare in uni then choose btec.
I hope this helps :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
I choose btec because I moved in 2018 with my family to UK .I was late like October so the college told me they can't accept me because I am 18 and late they had also told me to do some gcses if I want to go to healthcare in uni as most unis require math and English and at least 5 gcses so I that year then I did my gcses as a private candidate by self studying .I did 6 gcses math ,English language,literature ,double science and urdu .I did pass them but I didn't get enough marks for science a levels so I went to a further education college to do a btec as I wanted to go to healthcare .
My circumstances are different from yours so I would say try to get good gcse grades its best if you can get above 6 and apply for a levels as they are more recognised you have to only worry about one series of exams .You can find many free resources ,videos ,guides etc on library online and if you want to apply to a top uni like kings or ucl its best .So only if you don't get the grades for the a levels and want to do something science related or healthcare in uni then choose btec.
I hope this helps :smile:

ur story is very inspirational. the only reason I was asking is because we aren't doing gcses this year instead we're getting predicted grades. so I'm a bit worried if I don't meet the entry requirements for a science A level. was the course relatively hard or was it manageable and could you maintain a good balance between work and general social life
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
did you do the extended diploma
Reply 14
what are u doing in uni
Reply 15
how did u find the btec course and was the transition from btec to uni very hard or manageable
Reply 16
was there a specific reason u chose pharmacy over radiography and how did u get on to pharmacy as it says u need chem a level alongside it
Original post by uz121
ur story is very inspirational. the only reason I was asking is because we aren't doing gcses this year instead we're getting predicted grades. so I'm a bit worried if I don't meet the entry requirements for a science A level. was the course relatively hard or was it manageable and could you maintain a good balance between work and general social life

Yeah you can if you just do all your work on time and start you assignment on the first day and do it bit by bit and don't be lazy and leave it until the last minute
Original post by lhop
I'm current offer holder for Sept so yes - am doing L3 extended diploma applied science. Some won't accept h&soc care route, some will want your spec and modules listed to make sure of content covered. Contact admissions tutors before applying to check if you're not sure as not always possible on course websites to list all entry combinations accepted - I did and all were helpful. More important I think is that you seek out any relevant work experience if that's possible and demonstrate you know what you're letting yourself in for and making an informed choice of course.

If you don't mind which universities have you applied .Did they ask you for any specific units because for all the universities I applied they didn't ask for any specific units .
Original post by lhop
none asked for specific units - unlikely to be any issue with extended diploma applied science as that's equiv to 3 science a levels but better to research each uni before applying and provide the info they ask for - listing just allows them to check content covered as module choice within btec is wide and there are so many combinations of qualifications. Well done on your offers so far and fingers crossed for the ones you're still waiting on.

Oh ok .Thank you same to you too .Wish you the best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply