help on organic synthesis (a-level) question?

Watch this thread
starrystudy
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I would very much appreciate if someone could input how they would answer this OCR chemistry question... i attempted it but got it completely wrong!

Name:  chemistryorganicsynthesis.PNG
Views: 121
Size:  55.3 KB
Last edited by starrystudy; 1 year ago
Biskwit
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I will give this a go and let u know once I do : )
Pyruvic Acid
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
What thought do you have so far?
Out with Gavin
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
you add a haloalkane to it, then turn that haloalkane into a Cyanide and then reduce it
Out with Gavin
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
what exam paper is this from?
starrystudy
Rep:
(Original post by Biskwit)
Hi, I will give this a go and let u know once I do : )
Thank you very much!!
(Original post by Pyruvic Acid)
What thought do you have so far?
honestly I had no idea but, I thought of addition of chloromethane, since the chlorine atom is electronegative and the carbon is slightly electropositive, and so the electron pair of the double bond is donated to the carbon atom, causing the c-cl bond to break via heterolytic fission, and a dative covalent bond set up between one of the carbons of the double bond and the carbon of the haloalkane? but i wasn't sure what to next, also this is completely wrong :lol:
(Original post by Out with Gavin)
you add a haloalkane to it, then turn that haloalkane into a Cyanide and then reduce it
ahh that makes sense, i'll try that! thanks so much
also i'm not really sure, it was on an OCR questions doc my teacher sent me "Chapter 18 exam style questions from kerboodle"
Biskwit
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I couldn’t get it sorry, but use this to help Name:  A02681AF-F3F1-4EC9-A85F-04BD2461FDFF.jpg.jpeg
Views: 48
Size:  27.8 KB
starrystudy
Rep:
(Original post by Biskwit)
I couldn’t get it sorry, but use this to help Name:  A02681AF-F3F1-4EC9-A85F-04BD2461FDFF.jpg.jpeg
Views: 48
Size:  27.8 KB
That's amazing, thank you so much!!
Biskwit
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Anytime
Biskwit
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Also I think I sent u the wrong thing lol; it’s this Name:  D9B7E9E1-C19A-46F4-8CD8-EBCC7A089B45.jpg.jpeg
Views: 42
Size:  24.7 KB
kittykatlover
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
so would the route go 1 4 7 ?
astrogirl_
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I would've said add HBr then CN and then reduce with Hydrogen and nickel

(Original post by kittykatlover)
so would the route go 1 4 7 ?
I'm not sure but i thought 2 6 28
Last edited by astrogirl_; 1 year ago
ThinkingRightNow
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by astrogirl_)
I would've said add HBr then CN and then reduce with Hydrogen and nickel

I'm not sure but i thought 2 6 28
yeah I got exactly that, hbr , aqeous kcn + reflux, H2 with Ni catalyst
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (19)
29.23%
As I expected (18)
27.69%
Harder (25)
38.46%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed