Is University/College worth it?

Watch
DawnWings
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm planning to stay until S6 but I like to plan ahead for the future. I'm thinking about possibly picking English/Film Studies at a uni/college. I may start looking for work experience once covid ends. My family were saying there's other opportunities like internships. Is uni or college the best way to get a job?
Levi.-
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
depends on the university itself and the industry you want to go into really. question is too vague.
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DawnWings)
I'm planning to stay until S6 but I like to plan ahead for the future. I'm thinking about possibly picking English/Film Studies at a uni/college. I may start looking for work experience once covid ends. My family were saying there's other opportunities like internships. Is uni or college the best way to get a job?
Hello, thank you for your question.

I would say that generally gaining higher level educational qualifications does significantly increase your employment prospects. About 40% of the jobs on the market are not accessible to individuals without a degree, or a degree equivalent qualification (e.g., degree level internship). However, there are certainly many paths that you can take to achieve your ultimate career aspirations. I would advice to start thinking about which career or field you would be interested in, since this will help you to make decisions regarding your study plans. Some jobs will absolutely require you to go to college/university, while others will not. Prospects is one good website that you can use to research potential careers and how to get there.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions .

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad)
Last edited by University of Sussex Official Reps; 1 week ago
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DawnWings)
Hi DawnWings,

It is great you are considering all of the options available to you. When I was in School, I didn't think I wanted to go to University and then decided to and it is the best thing I have done for me personally. It has allowed me to meet so many people from a variety of backgrounds and countries, something I would have not been exposed to otherwise. The connections Universities have with industries and companies is also great for your career prospects. I would recommend you firstly start reviewing course outlines such as the English and Film Studies degrees you mentioned, see if you can imagine yourself studying this for 3 years and if you can then it is a potential route to go down .

I think it is fantastic that you are already considering work experience. Work experience has been something that has massively helped me secure a Graduate job for later this year. Having said this, for me I couldn't have obtained this work experience without pursuing a University degree because I did a placement year for my work experience which requires you to have completed the first 2 years of an undergraduate degree. Ultimately this experience, coupled with the academic knowledge I have built up from my degree has allowed me to secure a job at an international company.

Everyone's journey is different but by considering both work experience and further academic studies, you are definitely on the right track to secure a great job in the future.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Best wishes,
Rebecca
Final Year BSc Hons Marketing Management Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (130)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (395)
14.85%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (297)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (374)
14.06%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (121)
4.55%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (163)
6.13%
Loneliness (226)
8.5%
Financial worries (98)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (109)
4.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (121)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (140)
5.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (233)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (253)
9.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed