Change after Late Autism Diagnosis

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Question for anyone who received an ASD diagnosis later on in life (late teen years and onward);
What were the most noticeable changes that came after the diagnosis (as a result of it)?

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth going for a consultation to be tested, as I feel a lot in common with many people talking about their autism experience but I don't know if the diagnosis process is worth going through; if I'd benefit from it.
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
If your going to go to university (idk how old you are), then definitely look into getting an assessment. There are so many accommodations you can get at uni that are really helpful if you have ASD but you can’t get them unless you have a diagnosis
Jade1211
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Question for anyone who received an ASD diagnosis later on in life (late teen years and onward);
What were the most noticeable changes that came after the diagnosis (as a result of it)?

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth going for a consultation to be tested, as I feel a lot in common with many people talking about their autism experience but I don't know if the diagnosis process is worth going through; if I'd benefit from it.
Hi! I was diagnosed in my late teens and I think if you can get a diagnosis it can really make a world of difference. As well as getting access to support at uni or work like the previous reply mentioned, I found personally that it really helped my mental health, as it identified why I’d always struggled to feel ‘normal’ and showed that so many others were the same as me. I also understood more about myself and felt more able to make informed choices about what’s beneficial for me and what could be challenging. Sorry for rambling on but feel free to ask me any other questions you might have!
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I know people who have received a diagnosis in their twenties (after they completed education). The diagnosis didn't result in them getting any extra support but it did help them to understand why they were having certain difficult.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (66)
19.08%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.74%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.91%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.18%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.81%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.12%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.76%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.76%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.31%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.73%

Watched Threads