Is bristol uni good choice for safe future (jobs)?

Watch
Legiterspams
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
^^ is it hard to find jobs as a bsc economics student and being international at university of Bristol or is there decent chances?
Also would be great if you can compare it with Edinburgh uni.
Levi.-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
for what industry? Also, a degree itself doesn't make you employable you need to do other stuff.
Legiterspams
Rep:
?
(Original post by Levi.-)
for what industry? Also, a degree itself doesn't make you employable you need to do other stuff.
Financial industry.... basically in the corporate world... I am aware a degree doesn’t mean that much alone but say I am a good student (not topper) , have internships at good firms and good grades ... then generally hows the scene?
Levi.-
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Legiterspams)
Financial industry.... basically in the corporate world... I am aware a degree doesn’t mean that much alone but say I am a good student (not topper) , have internships at good firms and good grades ... then generally hows the scene?
again the financial industry is quite vague and it varies; corporate banking, accounting etc. And then there's "high finance" - this constitutes investment banking at the big banks, working at hedge funds as analysts/traders and asset management/private equity.
Legiterspams
Rep:
?
again the financial industry is quite vague and it varies; corporate banking, accounting etc. And then there's "high finance" - this constitutes investment banking at the big banks, working at hedge funds as analysts/traders and asset management/private equity.
Yes i meant working as investment banker, analyst, consultant, etc. front office jobs. In firms like up morgan, Morgan Stanley, Deloitte, pwc, etc. or in govt orgs too. Basically what i wanted to ask is whether there’s a good chanced of getting placements (not necessarily in the above firms) or is it very hard to get one and i might be jobless? (Say i am a good student and not topper ( i know toppers will always be sought after- that’s to say i will try my best but just assuming a normal scenario)
Last edited by Legiterspams; 4 days ago
Anonymous #1
Report 4 days ago
are you trying to work in england?
Levi.-
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Yes i meant working as investment banker, analyst, consultant, etc. front office jobs. In firms like up morgan, Morgan Stanley, Deloitte, pwc, etc. or in govt orgs too. Basically what i wanted to ask is whether there’s a good chanced of getting placements (not necessarily in the above firms) or is it very hard to get one and i might be jobless? (Say i am a good student and not topper ( i know toppers will always be sought after- that’s to say i will try my best but just assuming a normal scenario)
Well for investment banking bristol is a non-target which means there's a chance that people who attended targets have an advantage over you, that being said Bristol is pretty good for getting into top law firms and the like - even for investment banking the uni name only makes up 1 part and is probably minimal, in order to get these internships at uni you are competing against thousands of people so will need to have a strong CV and good grades (2:1) regardless of what uni you go to. Bristol is fine for employment prospects to be honest since there's alot of other stuff you need to do for jobs anyway; tests, interviews and stuff like that
Levi.-
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Well for investment banking bristol is a non-target which means there's a chance that people who attended targets have an advantage over you, that being said Bristol is pretty good for getting into top law firms and the like - even for investment banking the uni name only makes up 1 part and is probably minimal, in order to get these internships at uni you are competing against thousands of people so will need to have a strong CV and good grades (2:1) regardless of what uni you go to. Bristol is fine for employment prospects to be honest since there's alot of other stuff you need to do for jobs anyway; tests, interviews and stuff like that
also deloitte and PWC are accountancy firms so Bristol is good enough for them
Legiterspams
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
What about uni of Edinburgh? Is it also the same non-target like Bristol? I got in for MA Economics w management science 2nd yr direct entry (so 3yrs course for me) A lot of people say Bristol econ is superior. But some say edin is good for us int’l students and has better reputation for employers. What to do? I’m so confused
anonuser99
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Complete *******s. Bristol, econ especially, is a semi-target and plenty of people from Bristol go into IB every year. Please don't advise people on things you know nothing about. I'm not a Bristol student FYI.
Last edited by anonuser99; 3 days ago
anonuser99
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
What about uni of Edinburgh? Is it also the same non-target like Bristol? I got in for MA Economics w management science 2nd yr direct entry (so 3yrs course for me) A lot of people say Bristol econ is superior. But some say edin is good for us int’l students and has better reputation for employers. What to do? I’m so confused
Please do not listen to the guy above. Bristol (and Edinburgh) are semi-targets who send plenty of people into high-finance every year. Bristol econ is a fine course and well respected.

He was right that uni only is one part of the application but going to Bristol is not a bad thing at all.
Levi.-
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by anonuser99)
Please do not listen to the guy above. Bristol (and Edinburgh) are semi-targets who send plenty of people into high-finance every year. Bristol econ is a fine course and well respected.

He was right that uni only is one part of the application but going to Bristol is not a bad thing at all.
I knew Edinburgh was a semi but bristol is sometimes not listed as one so I just defined it as a non-target. The economics department won't be specifically targeted anymore so than the rest of the school though I'd have thought. For reference I consider anything that isn't a target a non-target. So a semi-target is a semi-target but still isn't a target. I know some investment banks have never heard of the term "semi-target" in their recruitment divisions so i tend to steer clear of it. Sorry to OP if this confused them. Increasingly nowadays I doubt university choice plays a massive role in the application process but its probably still fairly advantageous to attend a target.
Btw people get in to IB from all sorts of different universities anyway but I would assume that they are top of their classes or have done a great deal to increase their employability.
anonuser99
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I knew Edinburgh was a semi but bristol is sometimes not listed as one so I just defined it as a non-target. The economics department won't be specifically targeted anymore so than the rest of the school though I'd have thought. For reference I consider anything that isn't a target a non-target. So a semi-target is a semi-target but still isn't a target. I know some investment banks have never heard of the term "semi-target" in their recruitment divisions so i tend to steer clear of it. Sorry to OP if this confused them. Increasingly nowadays I doubt university choice plays a massive role in the application process but its probably still fairly advantageous to attend a target.
Btw people get in to IB from all sorts of different universities anyway but I would assume that they are top of their classes or have done a great deal to increase their employability.
Semi-targets are definitely a thing. But it's an overall thing, not a bank-specific thing. E.g. semis get visited by some but not all banks when doing careers fairs/presentations etc. For the banks that do visit, they consider those unis "targets". This is still better than a uni that has no banks visiting it for front-office positions.

Bristol is definitely a semi, you only have to look at its recruitment figures (LinkedIn research). It very clearly shouldn't be put in the same category as say, Nottingham Trent.

People get in from all sorts of unis but more people get in from certain unis than others (even accounting for selection bias). This is where the target/semi/non thing comes into play.

You most certainly do not have to be top of your class to get into IB or other front-office position, I should know. My grades in 1st and 2nd year are less than stellar (still a 2:1 though) yet from hard work and making it up in other ways, here I am going to intern at a BB.
Levi.-
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Semi-targets are definitely a thing. But it's an overall thing, not a bank-specific thing. E.g. semis get visited by some but not all banks when doing careers fairs/presentations etc. For the banks that do visit, they consider those unis "targets". This is still better than a uni that has no banks visiting it for front-office positions.

Bristol is definitely a semi, you only have to look at its recruitment figures (LinkedIn research). It very clearly shouldn't be put in the same category as say, Nottingham Trent.

People get in from all sorts of unis but more people get in from certain unis than others (even accounting for selection bias). This is where the target/semi/non thing comes into play.

You most certainly do not have to be top of your class to get into IB or other front-office position, I should know. My grades in 1st and 2nd year are less than stellar (still a 2:1 though) yet from hard work and making it up in other ways, here I am going to intern at a BB.
oh so that's what is meant by semi - I always assumed it just meant that your CV education section would look better than some but worse than targets. By the way, what do you mean by 'visit' - i thought you apply online for spring weeks so the only time your uni counts is when they read you CV IF you get past the psych test... I'm going UCL this september so would like to know and congratulations on your internship. Although, I'd argue that "making it up in other ways" is showing you are on top of your class in the eyes of the banks, just maybe not academically. . Did you apply for any proprietary funds like citadel or jane street?
Levi.-
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
oh so that's what is meant by semi - I always assumed it just meant that your CV education section would look better than some but worse than targets. By the way, what do you mean by 'visit' - i thought you apply online for spring weeks so the only time your uni counts is when they read you CV IF you get past the psych test... I'm going UCL this september so would like to know and congratulations on your internship. Although, I'd argue that "making it up in other ways" is showing you are on top of your class in the eyes of the banks, just maybe not academically. . Did you apply for any proprietary funds like citadel or jane street?
* i know you said careers fairs and presentations but do these help in securing a spring week and internship and does the term target help when actually applying or not*
anonuser99
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
* i know you said careers fairs and presentations but do these help in securing a spring week and internship and does the term target help when actually applying or not*
1. Please don't give people advice on things like what uni they should go to when you've not even attended uni yet.
2. That's exactly what I mean by a semi. LSE (target) looks better than Bristol (semi-target) which looks better than Sussex (non-target) etc. The rep of your uni matters.
3. I have no interest in or the skills required for prop trading.
4. "Visit" - all unis have careers fairs and presentations from firms. It is up to the firms which career fairs they want to visit or which unis they want to give a presentation at. Do these help securing a spring? Unlikely since most of them happen way after the time you should've applied for a spring. Can they help for summers? Maybe. Depends on how you use them.
5. Does the term "target" help? I'm not sure what the term has to do with anything but going to a target or semi-target uni (as opposed to a non-target) helps, yes. If you're talking about putting that you attend a target on your cover letter or something or saying "I go to a target" to anyone who works in the industry, don't. That's very obnoxious.
6. The brightest students do not go into IB. You do not even need to be very smart to be an investment banker. You just have to be able to work hard. At entry level, this applies to most high finance roles. So get it out of your head that you have to be some genius or top achiever to make it anywhere. You don't. It helps but you don't. You just have to work hard where it matters.
Levi.-
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
1. Please don't give people advice on things like what uni they should go to when you've not even attended uni yet.
2. That's exactly what I mean by a semi. LSE (target) looks better than Bristol (semi-target) which looks better than Sussex (non-target) etc. The rep of your uni matters.
3. I have no interest in or the skills required for prop trading.
4. "Visit" - all unis have careers fairs and presentations from firms. It is up to the firms which career fairs they want to visit or which unis they want to give a presentation at. Do these help securing a spring? Unlikely since most of them happen way after the time you should've applied for a spring. Can they help for summers? Maybe. Depends on how you use them.
5. Does the term "target" help? I'm not sure what the term has to do with anything but going to a target or semi-target uni (as opposed to a non-target) helps, yes. If you're talking about putting that you attend a target on your cover letter or something or saying "I go to a target" to anyone who works in the industry, don't. That's very obnoxious.
6. The brightest students do not go into IB. You do not even need to be very smart to be an investment banker. You just have to be able to work hard. At entry level, this applies to most high finance roles. So get it out of your head that you have to be some genius or top achiever to make it anywhere. You don't. It helps but you don't. You just have to work hard where it matters.
no i know you don't need to be a genius to get into them I'm saying people generally have a top grades OR have done a great deal to increase their employability - not related to intelligence. Frankly I'm not interested in IB at all I prefer proprietary trading shops or at the very least the trading floors in investment banks. I didn't mean the exact term target, i meant does attending a target stand out and actually help your CV in terms of BB's wanting to hire you because if not I don't actually see how attending one benefits at all - banks coming to your campus doesn't seem too helpful if it doesn't directly help the application process.
Thanks for the help and finally, I will advise on whatever I feel like since I've done a lot of research (including asking you questions I already know the answer to to see if the answers vary from diff people); Bristol is not listed as a semi-target on certain lists which granted could be out of date. Saying non-target may not have been correct so I should instead say it is not a target.
Levi.-
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
no i know you don't need to be a genius to get into them I'm saying people generally have a top grades OR have done a great deal to increase their employability - not related to intelligence. Frankly I'm not interested in IB at all I prefer proprietary trading shops or at the very least the trading floors in investment banks. I didn't mean the exact term target, i meant does attending a target stand out and actually help your CV in terms of BB's wanting to hire you because if not I don't actually see how attending one benefits at all - banks coming to your campus doesn't seem too helpful if it doesn't directly help the application process.
Thanks for the help and finally, I will advise on whatever I feel like since I've done a lot of research (including asking you questions I already know the answer to to see if the answers vary from diff people); Bristol is not listed as a semi-target on certain lists which granted could be out of date. Saying non-target may not have been correct so I should instead say it is not a target.
Also how could i secure some work ex to aid my spring week apps? Thanks
anonuser99
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Also how could i secure some work ex to aid my spring week apps? Thanks
Go to the investment banking forums and read up.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 hours ago
Could anyone comment on Bristol’s reputation in the software engineering/tech industry?

Would it be enough to get an interview at a FAANG?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (6)
31.58%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (4)
21.05%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (7)
36.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (2)
10.53%

Watched Threads