imogen Crofts
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
The following is another query that I have had conflicting information about.

In April 2019 I left a 1 year PGCE course as my father suffered a stroke.
At the time, I asked my university if I could defer until September the same year (next academic year) then return to study the remainder of the course and my second teaching placement in order to complete the course. The deferral was granted.

However my father's health deteriorated and the care demands on the family increased so I was not able to return 5 months later.
So I asked the university if I could defer until the following September.
Despite the university stating that CPR would apply, my request was denied and I lost my place and the funding I had already paid.

Recently, I asked SFE if I I would be able to return to the PGCE at another university in the future and receive funding. The PGCE is a 1 year course so I am unclear whether it is possible to return if I dis not complete the qualification the first time round.

SFE requested information from me to support Compelling Personal Reasons. I sent over his hospital letters and death certificate.
I received an email saying the request was under consideration.

After waiting for quite some time, I called to find out the outcome of the decision and was told yesterday that I have been refused funding on the grounds of CPR and would be liable for all costs if if I wanted to return to study a PGCE at another university.

I told them that I would like to appeal their decision. I was then told as I did not complete the qualification I could return and study and would receive the fee and maintenance loan.

So which is it??
amberrose13
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can absolutely get funding for another year. As long as you don't have QTS, you can still get PGCE funding like you'd never done the qualification before.

I know because I'm in the same boat (had to leave PGCE due to mental health in 2018) and I started a new course in 2020, fully funded.
imogen Crofts
Rep:
?
(Original post by amberrose13)
You can absolutely get funding for another year. As long as you don't have QTS, you can still get PGCE funding like you'd never done the qualification before.

I know because I'm in the same boat (had to leave PGCE due to mental health in 2018) and I started a new course in 2020, fully funded.
Hello Amberrose
Thank you that is encouraging.
Did you also get the bursary?
amberrose13
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by imogen Crofts)
Hello Amberrose
Thank you that is encouraging.
Did you also get the bursary?
I'm in Primary so I don't get a bursary so not sure on that front
imogen Crofts
Rep:
?
(Original post by amberrose13)
I'm in Primary so I don't get a bursary so not sure on that front
OK Thanks.
I hope your course goes well this time round. The PGCE is hugely stressful!
May the force be with you :-)
LiamWhiteRose
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You should be able to get funding, though I can't comment on the bursary. I'm in a similar position - I started a Masters in 2016 but had to leave due to CPR. I completed my PGCE last year and started a new Masters this year. I had to fight and kick up a bit of a fuss with SFE, but was able to secure funding to study again! Don't let them just get away with it, hound them if you have to.
LiamWhiteRose
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You should be able to get funding, though I can't comment on the bursary. I'm in a similar position - I started a Masters in 2016 but had to leave due to CPR. I completed my PGCE last year and started a new Masters this year. I had to fight and kick up a bit of a fuss with SFE, but was able to secure funding to study again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (162)
41.86%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (56)
14.47%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (161)
41.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.07%

Watched Threads